Wireless Disconnecting in Other Rooms

Wired and wireless home networking
AndyCake

Wireless Disconnecting in Other Rooms

Post by AndyCake » Sat May 14, 2011 10:16 am

Hi Guys,

This forum has been very helpful in the past, so I'm hoping I can get a solution here again. I have Naked ASDL 2, set up with a Dynalink router/modem. The wireless works very well in the lounge where the router sits, but in bedrooms in the house I have issues where my computer drops the internet connection. I will boot up, it will connect automatically and I browse the internet for a while, but then I'll find I no longer have internet connection. As far as I can tell, I am still connected to the wireless network, but it has no internet connection. I often try disconnecting and reconnecting to the wireless network and it sometimes gets it working again (sometimes only for a few seconds sometimes for a while again), but if I move to the lounge there are no issues and the wireless is working OK and I have a good connection to the internet - so the wireless network is definitely there and connected to the internet.

I have turned router on and off and also just updated my firmware but am still having these problems. Is this a router problem or a laptop problem? I configured the router about 2 years ago with the standard set up (not a techie genius here). Is this something to do with wireless strength? Do I need a different router ? We used this router in our old house which was much, much bigger and I never had these problems in different rooms in the house. The house is near a train line so not sure if that affects the wireless or not.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Wireless Disconnecting in Other Rooms

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 14, 2011 10:44 am

When internet drops, I take it you cannot ping the router at 192.168.1.1 (that is, it's the wireless router dropping rather than the Exetel connection). This could be related to the distance, or to a wall not being sufficiently radio transparent (eg, I came across one containing foil insulation). The easy solution is to place a wireless access point in a suitable place to relay or extend the transmission. These are not overly expensive, eg the TP-Link range at say http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/index.php?cPath=105 have a range of user selectable functions - access point, bridge, repeater, etc. These can also be handy if you have an internet-enabled TV with only an ethernet port.

To configure one, you connect it to a computer and select the desired mode, and provide the Dynalink wireless security settings. When it reboots it will form part of your network.

AndyCake

Post by AndyCake » Sat May 14, 2011 10:49 am

Hi Dazzled, how do I test pinging the router from the other room? (sorry, see earlier reference about not being a brilliant techie)

Does a wireless access point have to have a connection to the phone line though or do these just plug into a power socket?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 14, 2011 10:58 am

You need a terminal or DOS prompt (name varies with operating system). Type the command: ping 192.168.1.1. If nothing happens your router connection has dropped out, A good response looks like:
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.68 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.758 ms

Access points only need a power supply. They connect into your home network as wireless devices with an optional ethernet connection. Modern ones are versatile - you might use one to boost the Dynalink (ethernet input), or to provide a plug in ethernet connection for a laptop (wireless input), or as a relay of a weak wireless signal (the wireless signal in is boosted out).

PS You can download details of this particular large range from http://tp-link.com.au/products/productList.asp under "Wireless LAN". Most router manufacturers will have something available.
PS Note the blurb at http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/product ... ts_id=1727

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon May 16, 2011 10:18 pm

I have a Dynalink too, and I've noticed something similar. In my case, I think it has to do with water / gas pipes in the walls in question, but I still reckon that the Dynalink wireless isn't as strong as some other modem models.

There are a few things you can try:
* Try changing wireless channel. There might be some device in your immediate area that are interfering somewhat with the signal.
* Try changing orientation of your receiving device and/or router. You'd be surprised: I sometime turn my laptop 15 degrees clockwise / counter clockwise and my signal strength jumps one bar and pages start loading immediately and rapidly after having previous stalled
* Try changing the orientation of the antennas on the modem. The way the wireless signal radiates out of the antenna is a torus shape; imagine a doughnut skewered onto the antenna, this is the direction the signal propagates. So orient your antenna to point straight up in order to get the maximum amount of sideways signal propogation. Also, you can orient your second antenna is a slightly (or totally) different direction and what this can do is create nodes and antinodes throughout your house. This means that you will deliberately get "hotspots" of strong and weak signal, which can actually be a good thing if you find that your standard signal isn't strong enough
* Best solution however, might be to relocate the modem, or place a wireless repeater / access point near to where you often work. This ensures you have a strong signal at all times without any tinkering necessary
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

AndyCake

Post by AndyCake » Mon May 16, 2011 10:22 pm

So, I tried pinging while using the internet this morning and got a healthy response back. All was working fine for an hour, then it dropped out and I redid the ping and if failed. I disconnected and reconnected, the internet would be back up for long enough to reload a page, but would drop off again.

I will try those tips CoreyPlover and see if that makes any difference. How do I go about changing the wireless chanel?

The thing that is confusing me is that it's inconsistent. The signal is obviously strong enough to work just fine for an hour or two, but then drops out and just won't work properly. It is definitely consistent that it will work well every time I boot up, but I get this eventual degredation. Could it also be a laptop configuration?

If none of those tweaks work, I think I will look into an access point in my bedroom. Unfortunately I can't move the router into a new spot as this is the only place in the house where I have the phone line and power point in the right spot.

Thanks again for the helpful responses.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon May 16, 2011 10:27 pm

The ping test proves the modem disconnected, not the internet. Give CoreyPlover's tweaks a try, and if that doesn't work, I'd get the extra hardware. I have a Dynalink whose wireless range is well out the back yard, but I use ethernet between rooms.

PS If you have a laptop, see if the wireless still works in the same room as the modem.
PPS Channel is one of the modem wireless config settings.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:17 am

You could also have failing hardware - you mentioned that the hardware is over two years old. Does the wireless router get hot or exceptionally warm? Do you have someone who you can swap hardware with, and see if your hardware is failing?

If you are going to replace the device, I'd suggest looking for something with MIMO (or multiple antenna's) - this should ensure you a better, stronger and faster connection.