Setting up wireless network ... completely clueless!

Wired and wireless home networking
wingchun

Setting up wireless network ... completely clueless!

Post by wingchun » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Currently using a billion 7402R modem/router.

Considering setting up a wireless network for my flatmates .. but no idea what I'm doing.

At first, I thought I'd just have to purchase a new wireless modem/router.

But, seeing as I already have a modem and router (and I'm happy to stay with ethernet myself) is it possible to buy a .. thingy? .. to plug into my wired modem router to provide an access point to create the wireless network? If so, what is it called and where could I find one? Cheers!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Setting up wireless network ... completely clueless!

Post by Dazzled » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:26 pm

A wireless access point is indeed what you are after. See, eg, http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/index.php?cPath=105. The TP-LINK TL-WA500G is a low cost solution.

PS, mind you a low cost TP-LINK TD-W8901G wireless router isn't much dearer, but you might prefer to stay with your Biliion.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:28 pm

wingchun wrote:Currently using a billion 7402R modem/router.

Considering setting up a wireless network for my flatmates .. but no idea what I'm doing.

At first, I thought I'd just have to purchase a new wireless modem/router.

But, seeing as I already have a modem and router (and I'm happy to stay with ethernet myself) is it possible to buy a .. thingy? .. to plug into my wired modem router to provide an access point to create the wireless network? If so, what is it called and where could I find one? Cheers!
the thingy is called a Wireless Access Point, not always an easy thing to find at retail level, probably better to buy online if this is what you want, is only a matter of plugging it into your router to get it working, once you do though make sure to setup the security and password (anything you buy will have details about how to do this) otherwise anyone will be able to use your internet

Edit, since Dazzled mentioned it, JMG is a very reputable seller, have used them myself, highly recommended

wingchun

Post by wingchun » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've gone full circle and am again leaning towards a new wireless modem/router. My guess is it would be a more stable, simpler, less fiddly option. No idea if my guess has any foundation in reality.

Been a fan of billions for as long as I can recall. I've had the 7402 just over 6 years now and it's still going strong - but would hate for it to give up the ghost 5 minutes after buying an access point.

So I'd like to stay with billion but the whole thing is a bit of a blur. 7800N seems to stand out, but there's the 7800NL. Problem is they seem different - not just clearly superior/inferior versions.

I'm guessing if a new billion now is going to last me another 6+ years I'll need a little crystal ball gazing.

I've read some users have difficulties with the interface, but if it's anything like what I am already used to with other billions, that won't be an issue for me.

Gigabit LAN isn't an issue, as we're just after internet access for multiple PCs.

Should IPv6 on the 7800NL weight into my decision? Or the 7800N apparently being fibre to the home ready?

Any compelling reasons to get either? Or to get something else altogether? Cost isn't really an issue.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Not a Billion fan myself - too many quirks in the past. Do you need VoIP? If coin isn't a problem, pop back to the site I suggested earlier and check out the Draytek Vigor models, and possibly the Fritz! models. These makers usually select higher quality components on their boards.

In my experience, BTW, access points are quite reliable, and the one we discussed has several different modes and possible future uses. I recently used one to wireless enable a television so that the TV could connect to a wireless modem router in the same premises (ie the opposite way round to your requirement), for a fraction of the price of Mr Sony's gadget.