Vista wireless network issues

Wired and wireless home networking
Dee2

Vista wireless network issues

Post by Dee2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi, I am having a problem to connect to wireless and I hope someone can help me.
We have set up our Exetel ADSL last week with a Netcomm NB6PLUS4W modem and after some initial problems it is working now. On one laptop (with Windows 7) the wireless internet is working fine, but on the other one, running on Vista, it keeps dropping out all the time. Whenever the computer has been switched off and is restarted it seems to have automatically reset its configuration or something. It initially cannot find the exetel network (it doesn't show up in the list of wireless networks). After some fiddling around sometimes the network does show up, however with no or limited connectivity. Yesterday, it helped when we did a 'Wireless Zero Configuration' (as described in the user's manual of the modem) and then entered and saved the network key for WPA-PSK again (it seemed to have automatically replaced the network key by something else?!). However, today it had the same issue and this procedure didn't get us anywhere.
Does anyone have a clue what's happening here and have some advice? Since the other laptop shows no problems at all I assume it is some vista glitch :roll:

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Vista wireless network issues

Post by Dazzled » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Vista's a pain at the best of times. This how-to may help - http://www.netcomm.com.au/support/knowl ... dows-vista Check it out, and post again if the pain persists.

Dee2

Post by Dee2 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks, will try tonight and see if it works. One question though: this guide is referring to the WEP key again. However, when I log into the Netcomm modem setup page I see that it is set up for WPA-PSK. It gives a 'shared' security key which I copied and pasted in the security tab for the wireless network in the computer (this is how I got the wireless working the first time). I never thought it would be possible to have both WEP and WPA-PSK at the same time, and may this not be causing the problem? (but have to admit my knowledge of these things is very rudimentary). Anyway, isn't it better to only have WPA-PSK, since I read somewhere that this is safer?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:45 pm

The Netcomm guide is old, and shows WEP. As WEP is quite easy to bust (most Linuxes can) for maximum security you should set the router to use WPA-PSK. It only runs one method at a time. Use a longish word or phrase (a space between words is permitted). It is also described as WPA Personal with TKIP encryption. Remove any existing Vista Control Panel setting and start again. There are older computer network cards around that only support WEP, and some of these are fixable with a new driver.

Afterwards check that via wireless you can ping 192.168.1.1 (the modem). If you cannot you may have run into another Vista pain, concerning its handling of DHCP (acquiring an address from the router).

Dee2

Post by Dee2 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi, tried it and it still cannot access the internet or the modem (192.etc.). One of the solutions it suggests is to automatically get the new IP configurations, and that doesn't work either. So I guess it is indeed the problem that you described. Since it's a recognised problem I hope that means there's a solution too!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:04 pm

You have probably detected by now that I wouldn't give Vista houseroom, so hopefully another user can help with the details. If this problem has ALWAYS occurred with the Netcomm and Vista restarts, the address acquisition problem is discussed at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us. It would remove a possible wireless complication if you got it working on an ethernet cable first.

Ipconfig will tell you if addressing has failed - you should have been leased an address in the range 192.168.1.x