Wired to Fibre Direct connection problems

Wired and wireless home networking
Jpaetz

Wired to Fibre Direct connection problems

Post by Jpaetz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:23 pm

I am attempting to connect to the NBN Direct (by plugging an ethernet cable into the UNI-D1 port of the Network Termination Device) as opposed to using a Router. I am plagued with "known" Errors like Error 651 and Error 797 (which normally arises once you start sorting out errors that cause Error 651 - WAN Miniport related issues). I have tried an entire range of different solutions posted on severals blogs. None have worked for me. In fact i have created a few new issues whilst attempting these solutions. I have spent a lot of time and money (mobile calls and wireless internet credits) trying to sort; what should be a simple connection, out. It is very frustrating and any help would be much appreciated.

I am using Widows 7 Professional. I know a fibre friendly modem should eliminate error 651, but i want to connect direct. My apartment has been wired with outlets all over so mobility is not an issue, so no need for yet another of a growing collection of modems/routers.

I am able to ping the (Exetel) DNS servers. There is a reply and time response. I am not sure (i have limited IT acumen) if that means there are no hardware issues wrt Fibre Connection ?

Any help would be appreciated, especially those with Windows 7 whom have managed to connect. :( :(

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Wired to Fibre Direct connection problems

Post by Dazzled » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 pm

This video may help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ7UDzWt9CY.

Ignore the US user name in the video, and instead use the Exetel user name (your ten digit telephone number@[state].exetel.com.au) and the password sent to you!

Jpaetz

Post by Jpaetz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Dazzled thanks for the info. I had set up those PPPOE connections as they showed on the video. Problem is as soon as i want to connect i get the Error 651. I am using Windows 7 Poofessional...., as opposed to Windows 7 they used in the demo. Not sure if that would account for any difference in outcome. In any event it appears that the Wan Miniport (PPPOE) always wants to dial despite my best efforts to prevent this i.e. I have selected "never dial" in the LAN settings. I suspect the Driver for the Wan Miniport (PPPOE) is outdated since its date reflects as 2006. Any attempt to update this with a new driver results in the following error "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device".

I tried a number of suggestions to get around this which included changing the registry and deleting drivers etc. Nothing has worked thus far.
I am almost positive that this is the source of the problem.

I also tried with a wireless ADSL router (D-Link DSL-G604T) but i am not sure if it is compatable with Fibre so i am introducing more possibility for error. In any event it does elminate Error 651 since i used the wireless adapter to connect and not the LAN (which tries to dial and hence generates the modem error). I was not successful in connecting. The error given is "DSN Servers not responding". So who the hell knows......... It has certainly got me rethinking my next OS system purchase. I would be inclined to go a bit more fruity on my next purchase :? .........catch my drift !

Anyway i will waste maybe one more day before i rip this system out of the wall and burn the whole lot...........

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:30 pm

I understand how you feel (I personally wouldn't give W7 house room - they lost the plot ages ago - anyway that might be just me). I hope there's someone reading who has seen your problem.

Before you tear out all your hair and climb the very expensive fence to the orchard take a squiz at a little herb you haven't spotted underfoot more modern and reliable than both the fruit and the holes in buildings - http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2216. It almost certainly runs on your existing hardware and costs you nothing at all (ie free, gratis, so there's no profit in selling it). Download the "Mate" DVD iso file from one of the local mirrors, burn it, and boot up from the DVD. (If you haven't burnt a bootable DVD before, see http://www.ehow.com/how_7279683_burn-linux-mint-cd.html). The live DVD runs entirely in RAM for tryout purposes and loads from the rather slow DVD drive rather than the disk. If you start the install process (select a desktop icon) it will put itself on the hard disk and fly along (takes a quarter to half an hour to install, including a host of applications). Thousands of apps can be installed for free just by selecting an icon. Everything essential including a full office suite is on the CD. Like the fruit shop, but even more so, it isn't bothered by the malware merchants. Mint is a user-friendly spin-off from the Debian OS which runs a large part of the internet, including most ISPs. Massively customisable, it can even be made to resemble Granny Smiths or leaky apertures, but who would?

Jpaetz

Post by Jpaetz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks for the reference to the software. I have installed it and hopefully will be able to migrate over to it completely soon.

In the meantime my WAN Router has arrived and i still cant connect (using Widows 7 Prof).

My setup is as follows:
Router connected to the ONT - Ethernet cable connected to UNI-D-1 of ONT & the WAN port of the router.
Router connected to the computer via another Ethernet cable (connecting to a LAN port on the router & LAN port on the computer0.
I have configured the router for WAN-Type as PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE).

Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE) gives the following errors
"Connection failed with error 651"

Troubleshooting using Windows Network Diagnostics found the following problem:
"Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server).

Connecting to the modem wirelessly does not work and Windows Network Diagnostics found the following issue:
"Windows cant communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server).

So is this a Fibre infrastucture issue ?
i have been pissing about with this for weeks and and have run out of patience. I have a good mind to cancel the service and then burn the whole place down.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:26 pm

The configured router will tell you if you are connected and online in one of its status fields, so check that out. Error 651 on the other hand is a Microsoft messsage.

Did you configure the router from the computer?

We might get a better picture idea of what's going on if you use the ipconfig command, (which in W7 may not have the path = pure genius), so:
1. Open a command prompt (Run > "cmd")
2. type cd %systemroot%\system32
3. type ipconfig /all
Post the result here. The most interesting fields will be IP Address, Default Gateway, DHCP and DNS Servers.

EroshanJ
Exetel Staff

Post by EroshanJ » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Jpaetz wrote:
Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE) gives the following errors
"Connection failed with error 651"
This error is not related to fibre infrastructure. Error 651 is a common issue in windows 7 network drivers. You may try the following.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsE7GxVYnFc

Note: I haven't tried this on my own. Also you are not required to download the software 'Windows 7 registry cleaner'

If you are still having issues with error 651, you may have to consults a computer technician.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks EroshanJ. Even the live DVD of Mint can sort itself out online automatically -- a small icon on the right hand side of the desktop panel is the network manager - it usually spins when thinking. A live CD/DVD is useful for testing in situations like this.