Google Play Store wifi issue

Wired and wireless home networking
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Google Play Store wifi issue

Post by KavindaS » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:04 am

pjred wrote:Thanks for that I appreciate the help.

I just took my modem to my other son's place (he's on Warilla Exchange with Exetel and an Optus port), and it worked fine on his connection with mobile devices. All I did was change the exetel user phone number and password and all other setting were untouched.

I've got his Exetel supplied TP-link modem to try at my place. Will report back soon. If I still have problems then that eliminates Modems, wifi and any mobile device problems at my end and points the problem to my service, whether it's something to do with the exchange, port at the exchange, or Exetel. Other than this problem my connections seems as good as it gets, as VOIP and speeds are normal.
Thanks for the information. We will check and update you as stated before...

pjred

Post by pjred » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:16 am

Hi again, further update......

Well my son's TP-Link TD-W8951ND worked. Mobile devices could access play store and samsung and the other problematic web sites.

I swapped in and out a couple of times this morning, TP-Link worked, Netcomm NB9 and NB16WV wouldn't work properly with mobile devices.

I don't think it's related to the wireless because I tried a different Access point connected to the netcomm and no go as well.

Weird thing is that's 1 NB9, 2 NB9W, 1 NB16WV that all exhibit the same issue with the mobile devices, and yet the NB16WV works fine at my son's place with an Exetel Optus port at Warilla exchange.

Nothing has changed with my setup since this problem appeared a couple of weeks ago. I like the NB9 because it does VOIP and properly forwards ports for all my needs. Even going back to factory defaults for the netcomm didn't help.

Have your engineers discovered any issue that might cause this? Could it be an issue with my port at the exchange? (on Telstra port at Port Kembla exchange).

Regards,
Paul

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Our engineers have confirmed that they do not see any IP related issues on the service.

Since you have mentioned that it works fine with the TPLINK modem then it could be an additional security feature on your Netcomm modem which is causing your issue.

You may need to try by disabling all security features on your modem and check on this.

pjred

Post by pjred » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:47 pm

angelos wrote:Our engineers have confirmed that they do not see any IP related issues on the service.

Since you have mentioned that it works fine with the TPLINK modem then it could be an additional security feature on your Netcomm modem which is causing your issue.

You may need to try by disabling all security features on your modem and check on this.
Thing is, nothing has changed with my setup. I threw one of the netcomm modems back in (after factory reset, just entered basic login details and left WiFi open so no security features) and no go with the mobile devices with those certain sites. And as I said before, these netcomm modems work with exactly the same settings at another exchange.

Could it possible be an issue with my port or the hardware at my exchange?? If not I will look at buying another modem and try.

Paul

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:56 pm

pjred wrote:Thing is, nothing has changed with my setup. I threw one of the netcomm modems back in (after factory reset, just entered basic login details and left WiFi open so no security features) and no go with the mobile devices with those certain sites. And as I said before, these netcomm modems work with exactly the same settings at another exchange.

Could it possible be an issue with my port or the hardware at my exchange?? If not I will look at buying another modem and try.

Paul
It's can not be an issue with the physical port in the exchange or port restriction at network level. Did you try reporting this with Netcomm?

pjred

Post by pjred » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:32 am

Hi,

I don't know if you changed anything overnight, but I got up this morning and it's working like normal. Haven't touched anything from last night when the problem still existed.

Went back to my usual setup last night before this started happening, after a week a testing and mucking around and the problem was still there last night.

I don't know what's changed overnight.

I'm too scared to touch anything with my setup in case it comes back, but it's the exact same setup I was using before I noticed this issue.

All my mobile devices are connecting this morning without any browsing or play store issues. Will see how it goes.

Regards,

Paul

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:18 pm

pjred wrote:Hi,

I don't know if you changed anything overnight, but I got up this morning and it's working like normal. Haven't touched anything from last night when the problem still existed.

Went back to my usual setup last night before this started happening, after a week a testing and mucking around and the problem was still there last night.

I'm too scared to touch anything with my setup in case it comes back, but it's the exact same setup I was using before I noticed this issue.

All my mobile devices are connecting this morning without any browsing or play store issues. Will see how it goes.

Regards,

Paul
No changes from our end. Glad to hear it's all good. :D

pjred

Post by pjred » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:59 pm

ShaminG wrote:
pjred wrote:Hi,

Regards,

Paul
No changes from our end. Glad to hear it's all good. :D
Well I have some more interesting information to shed some more light on this situation.

Just spoke the the neighbour across the road, he's also with Exetel on a Telstra port at the same exchange obviously, and he's been having exactly the same problems with the android mobile devices over the same period of time and his miraculously came good at the same time.

That would have to rule out anything to do with my equipment and his equipment and seems to point the problem somewhere else. Frustrating not knowing what the issue was.

Paul

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:05 pm

pjred wrote:Well I have some more interesting information to shed some more light on this situation.

Just spoke the the neighbour across the road, he's also with Exetel on a Telstra port at the same exchange obviously, and he's been having exactly the same problems with the android mobile devices over the same period of time and his miraculously came good at the same time.

That would have to rule out anything to do with my equipment and his equipment and seems to point the problem somewhere else. Frustrating not knowing what the issue was.

Paul
Since it worked fine when TP-Link was used, possible that it's hardware compatibility on other brand. Only a possibility...

pjred

Post by pjred » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:50 pm

Hmmm, it's the weirdest thing. He tried a Telstra Thompson modem and some other brand and it didn't fix the problem and now he, just like me, is using his usual equipment and all is good again. Whether Telstra done something at that exchange who knows.

Paul

Chris T

Post by Chris T » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:26 pm

I am having the same problem. It started after the extended outage 3 nights ago. This is not the first time it happened. I experience the same problem a few months ago, it was only affecting the Google services then that I remembered. It came good after a few days and I assumed it was a problem with the local google appliance. This time is affecting a few more services, maybe it just because I have more apps on my phone these days.