NBN HFC and port forwarding

Wired and wireless home networking
Mort

NBN HFC and port forwarding

Post by Mort » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:30 am

Greetings all,

I've just had my NBN HFC connected and things are going well, but I seem to have an issue with port forwarding and I wanted to check if it was my particular setup or a known issue.

So a sanity check if there is anyone else using port forwarding on NBN HFC without issues (??)

I still have my ADSL service connected, and there are port forwarding rules enabled on it that are working fine. The ADSL router (TP-Link something or other) is then connected into my Ubiquiti USG which also has the required port forwarding rules in place.

I'm not running in bridge mode (for ADSL), but as a DMZ, and this has (and still is) all been working fine.

When I connected the Exetel ZTE modem supplied for NBN to the USG (WAN2), I also configured the same port forwarding rules but the forwarding doesn't seem to be working.

1. Is there an extra NAT or CGNAT to the ZTE router as part of the NBN service that isn't used on ADSL?
2. Is this a limitation of the NBN HFC box or ZTE router?
3. Is it just my setup?

My next testing will be swapping the WAN ports my NBN and ADSL are using on the USG to check if there is a difference in behaviour (they do have slightly different config options). After that I'll try bridge mode.

Thanks
Scott.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: NBN HFC and port forwarding

Post by KavindaS » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:34 pm

Mort wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:30 am
Greetings all,

I've just had my NBN HFC connected and things are going well, but I seem to have an issue with port forwarding and I wanted to check if it was my particular setup or a known issue.

So a sanity check if there is anyone else using port forwarding on NBN HFC without issues (??)

I still have my ADSL service connected, and there are port forwarding rules enabled on it that are working fine. The ADSL router (TP-Link something or other) is then connected into my Ubiquiti USG which also has the required port forwarding rules in place.

I'm not running in bridge mode (for ADSL), but as a DMZ, and this has (and still is) all been working fine.

When I connected the Exetel ZTE modem supplied for NBN to the USG (WAN2), I also configured the same port forwarding rules but the forwarding doesn't seem to be working.

1. Is there an extra NAT or CGNAT to the ZTE router as part of the NBN service that isn't used on ADSL?
2. Is this a limitation of the NBN HFC box or ZTE router?
3. Is it just my setup?

My next testing will be swapping the WAN ports my NBN and ADSL are using on the USG to check if there is a difference in behaviour (they do have slightly different config options). After that I'll try bridge mode.

Thanks
Scott.
Hi Scott,

Issue could be due to the CGNAT provisioned in the new service. I will get your service out of CGNAT, considering your requirement. You may either PM me your customer id / service number or login to the MyExetel members section, and request to OPT out from CGNAT, by specifying your requirement.

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks,

PM sent. I also got the notice this morning that my service was "active" and did the request in the account settings as well.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 pm

Mort wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:31 am
Thanks,

PM sent. I also got the notice this morning that my service was "active" and did the request in the account settings as well.
PM received and thanks. As we have already confirmed to you via the ticket reference #15459200, considering your requirement, we have now removed the service from the CG-NAT and have enabled a static IP.

You may power reboot the modem and check the service.

Mort

Post by Mort » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:34 am

Wanted to let you know it's all working now. Thanks.

nilushid
Exetel Staff

Post by nilushid » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Mort wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:34 am
Wanted to let you know it's all working now. Thanks.
Thanks for getting back to us. We are glad its working now. :)

dkwg

Post by dkwg » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:00 am

Just come across the post "NBN HFC and port forwarding". I have similar requirements to user Mort. I tried the CG-NAT Opt-out in the use portal but the "Submit" did not work. I emailed to the support team with Reference Number: 15816613. Can you arrange that change for me? Thank you

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm

dkwg wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:00 am
Just come across the post "NBN HFC and port forwarding". I have similar requirements to user Mort. I tried the CG-NAT Opt-out in the use portal but the "Submit" did not work. I emailed to the support team with Reference Number: 15816613. Can you arrange that change for me? Thank you
I have attended to your query and completed via the same ticket reference 15816613.

dkwg

Post by dkwg » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:40 pm

All good after router reboot! Thank you KavindaS, much appreciated.