Internal drop outs

Wired and wireless home networking
LindaB

Internal drop outs

Post by LindaB » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:00 am

How do I test to see if my router is working properly. Since changing to CGNat back in July I get multiple disconnects per day & it is slow to load webpages or it just times out. This is on all devices including a Smart TV, Laptop & Tablet. I have tried connecting the laptop via Lan cable with no improvement & have checked all cabling.
The modem is not reporting any internet drop outs & I have done a speed test so I am guessing that it is an internal issue with the modem rather than yr side of it.

When I can load web pages the speed is very good for FTTN on plan 50/20.
https://exetel.speedtestcustom.com/resu ... a54745d233

The modem I have is a Netcomm NF10WV which is now 4 years old.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Internal drop outs

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:42 am

A few thoughts:
1.. Is the configuration correct? Did it begin when you changed?
Check this first, before you decide the device has a hardware fault.

2. Is it overheating? It might be as simple as better ventilation, or it could be a failure.
3. What sort of pings can you get between two machines on your network? It should be very quick, both on cable and wireless.
4. Does powering off and then on again after a short break, which reloads the OS and also makes the full memory available, help, at least for a while?
5. Does it play up if you transmit data from one machine IP to another on the network? This doesn't use the VDSL modem section or require an external name server. Use a cable to isolate a potential wireless error.

Modem-Routers are stripped down computers, and when you consider the retail price, can be very cheaply built. Quite often a capacitor on the board has blown out. That's easily seen if you look at their case bottoms. The Linux kernel that is at the heart of the OS churns out streams of info to the system log, but it takes a bit of systems experience to interpret the terse messages. Errors logged will be OS and software problems detected rather than failing hardware.

nilushid
Admin

Post by nilushid » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:57 pm

LindaB wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:00 am
How do I test to see if my router is working properly. Since changing to CGNat back in July I get multiple disconnects per day & it is slow to load webpages or it just times out. This is on all devices including a Smart TV, Laptop & Tablet. I have tried connecting the laptop via Lan cable with no improvement & have checked all cabling.
The modem is not reporting any internet drop outs & I have done a speed test so I am guessing that it is an internal issue with the modem rather than yr side of it.

When I can load web pages the speed is very good for FTTN on plan 50/20.
https://exetel.speedtestcustom.com/resu ... a54745d233

The modem I have is a Netcomm NF10WV which is now 4 years old.
Hi

If your service issue persist, can you please let us know your customer ID or the service number to check this further from our end.

Thanks

LindaB

Post by LindaB » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:41 pm

Do you have a copy of settings for the modem please so I can check if they are correct?
If you don't mind sending them to my email address please.

nilushid
Admin

Post by nilushid » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:18 am

LindaB wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:41 pm
Do you have a copy of settings for the modem please so I can check if they are correct?
If you don't mind sending them to my email address please.
Hi

You can refer to the below link for the configuration. If you need the PPPoE username and the password, please PM me your customer ID or the service number.

https://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php ... etup_Guide

Thanks