Connecting a wireless Modem Router to a navini modem

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
blhelen

Connecting a wireless Modem Router to a navini modem

Post by blhelen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:52 pm

HI, I don't know if this will work. Has anybody tried this before?

I have a Linksys WAG54G 802.11G ADSL2+ Modem Router. My friend gave it to me, but because of the doggy phone system of my building here, I can't have other broadband services but wireless.

I know I have to use a navini modem to connect to Internet. But I have two pcs at home and I want to use the Linksys WAG54G Gateway as a router, so that I can have both my pcs connected to Internet.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible for me to do so? Many thanks~!

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:05 pm

Very possible, many wireless users have connected a Router to their Navini modem.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

blhelen

Post by blhelen » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:30 am

Thanks CLoSeR~~!

I'm just worrying that it is not just a router, it's also a modem. Will the modem function conflict with the Navini Modem? Thanks!

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:37 am

blhelen wrote:Thanks CLoSeR~~!

I'm just worrying that it is not just a router, it's also a modem. Will the modem function conflict with the Navini Modem? Thanks!
No, because you won't be using that part of the device, only the ethernet ports.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:21 pm

You would be configuring the LinkSys in bridge mode which means all modem related features become superfluous. Data packets to the Linksys will just get forwarded directly to the Navani. The Linksys in bridged mode will just be responsible for feeding the requests from multiple machines into the Navani and dividing them between machines when they return.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:09 pm

blhelen wrote:Thanks CLoSeR~~!

Now I have my doubts, I dont think this will work with a modem/router all in one unit.

Main reason is, with a router you have a WAN or INTERNET port. With an all in one they dont have this.

Also, if you bridge the Linksys unit, I'll make the assumption that it will lose its ability to login using PPP, thus defeating the purpose of this whole exercise.

By all means, do try and make it work. If you have no luck then you need to purchase a router only.

Sorry, I didnt look carefully enough at your initial post.
Last edited by CLoSeR on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/