MAC and wireless connection

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
exeteloo

MAC and wireless connection

Post by exeteloo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:41 am

Hi!
I'm using MAC X which always tends to connect someone else's wireless connection not my exetel one.
even when it can detect my exetel wireless connection, it lost connection when i moved it to my bedroom from the living room.
I have changed the modem location but did not rectify this problem
can anyone help?
also, can anyone advise how to change the wireless user name and pw displayed in the system tray?
It's currently displayed as "wireless" (i'm using Netcomm NB9W) and I've tried to change it from the internet connection page but failed...

ForumAdmin

Re: MAC and wireless connection

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:55 pm

exeteloo wrote:Hi!
I'm using MAC X which always tends to connect someone else's wireless connection not my exetel one.
even when it can detect my exetel wireless connection, it lost connection when i moved it to my bedroom from the living room.
can anyone help?
also, can anyone advise how to change the wireless user name and pw displayed in the system tray?
It's currently displayed as "wireless" (i'm using Netcomm NB9W) and I've tried to change it from the internet connection page but failed...
I've asked someone competent to see if they can help you.

DylanF
Exetel Staff

Re: MAC and wireless connection

Post by DylanF » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:07 pm

exeteloo wrote:Hi!
can anyone help?
If you are using a Netcomm NB9W the 'wireless' name you see is the SSID that is currently set in the Netcomm modem.

If you login to the unit (you may need to connect and ethernet cable and disable wireless for this) via http://192.168.1.1 you will have options there to reconfigure the wireless connection.

In the same page you can add security to the wireless network to ensure that it is only used by you and people that you authorise (by giving them the WEP or WPA key).

I am not sure what you mean by 'wireless username and password' so if you could please explain more about this I am happy to try and assist.

Also, if you could just clarify 100% that you are indeed on an ADSL connection, or if you have a Navini wireless modem connected on your network also (Internet via Exetel's true 'wireless' service).

Dylan

exeteloo

Post by exeteloo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:08 pm

Hi Dylan,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply!
sorry for the confusion. let me explain my background.
modem: Netcomm NB9W
Plan: Naked ADSL2
scenario: some one in my building is using Netcomm modem and my MAC always tends to connect to that person's network not my exetel one.
as both name displayed on the screen is "wireless" which is the default display name for Netcomm users, i'm trying to change the display name and pw in order to protect my wireless connection and prevent my MAC from connecting to other people's network.

I notice the Security Tab on the admin page but unsure how to play around.
The Modem comes with a user guide but it does not mention anything aobut this function.
another concern is that I live in a 2-bedroom unit and my MAC cannot detect the wireless network in my bedroom but the living room even though it is fair small unit.
any suggestion? many thanks in advance!

DylanF
Exetel Staff

Post by DylanF » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:27 pm

exeteloo wrote:Hi Dylan,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply!
sorry for the confusion. let me explain my background.
modem: Netcomm NB9W
Plan: Naked ADSL2
scenario: some one in my building is using Netcomm modem and my MAC always tends to connect to that person's network not my exetel one.
as both name displayed on the screen is "wireless" which is the default display name for Netcomm users, i'm trying to change the display name and pw in order to protect my wireless connection and prevent my MAC from connecting to other people's network.

I notice the Security Tab on the admin page but unsure how to play around.
The Modem comes with a user guide but it does not mention anything aobut this function.
another concern is that I live in a 2-bedroom unit and my MAC cannot detect the wireless network in my bedroom but the living room even though it is fair small unit.
any suggestion? many thanks in advance!
There should be another option in the menu under wireless labeled 'security'.

I would imagine that because you have two modems with the same SSID 'wireless' it is just connecting to the closest one (or the one with the best signal).

Once you change the name of yours you should then be able to see both of them, and direct the MAC to connect to yours only.

In the security page, you should enable some form of security, WPA being the most secure however WEP is also an option.

Once you enter in a key and apply it, you will then need to reconfigure the MAC's wireless settings to connect to your network with the new security key.

exeteloo

Post by exeteloo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks Dylan! will give it a shot. have a nice weekend! :)

exeteloo

Post by exeteloo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi there!I've successfully changed the SSID name and password but my MAC still cannot detect any wireless connection in the bedroom but the living room.
I used to be with TPG and didn't have this problem.
Is there anything else I can try?

exeteloo

Post by exeteloo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:11 pm

Can anyone answer this question?
I've successfully changed the SSID name and password but my MAC still cannot detect any wireless connection in the bedroom but the living room

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:11 pm

exeteloo wrote:Can anyone answer this question?
I've successfully changed the SSID name and password but my MAC still cannot detect any wireless connection in the bedroom but the living room
Drop your WiFi speed from 54MBit to 11Mbit (B band)
B Band WiFi is alot more stable for a WiFi connection between any computer system and an access point.

exeteloo

Post by exeteloo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi Spanner_Man!
could you please advise how to drop WiFi speed from 54MBit to 11Mbit (B band)?
many tnks!