No wireless connection

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
doublezz

No wireless connection

Post by doublezz » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi,

I have used Exetel Wireless Internet for a few years, recently I have moved to another place, I have checked the signal availability and the map indicates that area is covered as well. However, I cannot receive any signal there, I have tried in all the rooms, even on the balcony but no success.

Can anybody help?

Cheers,

sh0nky

Re: No wireless connection

Post by sh0nky » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:51 pm

doublezz wrote:Hi,

I have used Exetel Wireless Internet for a few years, recently I have moved to another place, I have checked the signal availability and the map indicates that area is covered as well. However, I cannot receive any signal there, I have tried in all the rooms, even on the balcony but no success.

Can anybody help?

Cheers,
Hi Doublezz, I assume you have checked the ethernet cable etc.
It appears you have moved to a area where the signal is weak or you have some buildings,trees nearby etc that are causing the weak signal. Getting the modem to the highest possible location in your unit/house is your best bet. Ive heard where people cover the sides of their modem with aliminium foil etc, but it is mainly used to force the modem to use a particular antenna.I had a similar problem some time back where i could use the modem upstairs but not downstairs. I had to run a 15 metre cable from the modem upstairs to the comp downtairs, not ideal but it worked!Getting the modem as high up as possible is crucial in your situation. And like you, the coverage map confirmed that i could get signal..Just not downstairs LOL.. the issue is most likely to be caused by some ''local'' interfearence ie building structures,trees etc

Regards Scott

doublezz

Re: No wireless connection

Post by doublezz » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:44 pm

sh0nky wrote: Hi Doublezz, I assume you have checked the ethernet cable etc.
It appears you have moved to a area where the signal is weak or you have some buildings,trees nearby etc that are causing the weak signal. Getting the modem to the highest possible location in your unit/house is your best bet. Ive heard where people cover the sides of their modem with aliminium foil etc, but it is mainly used to force the modem to use a particular antenna.I had a similar problem some time back where i could use the modem upstairs but not downstairs. I had to run a 15 metre cable from the modem upstairs to the comp downtairs, not ideal but it worked!Getting the modem as high up as possible is crucial in your situation. And like you, the coverage map confirmed that i could get signal..Just not downstairs LOL.. the issue is most likely to be caused by some ''local'' interfearence ie building structures,trees etc

Regards Scott
Thank you for your reply, I have tried to put the modem on a higher position, it managed to receive some signal but the signal is so weak, the connection get disconnected in 2 minutes. I have also tried to wrap the modem with aluminum foil but doesn't help. I think I may have to give up and change to ADSL service.

Cheers,

sh0nky

Post by sh0nky » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:33 pm

One last option you have is to try a aftermarket antenna. These are a hit and miss option,they work for some not for others. Seeing you are able to pick up some signal it may be worth a try. More info here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 75168.html

Cheers Scott