Laptop won't detect wireless router

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
netmum

Laptop won't detect wireless router

Post by netmum » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:56 am

Hello All,

I am at my wits end trying to set up our laptop (Vista).
Computer is not recognising the router. I have followed the set up guide for the RTA1046VW but no luck.
Any suggestions on what to check.
LAn connection works fine, just can't get wireless.

lunatic

Re: Laptop won't detect wireless router

Post by lunatic » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:28 am

Starting with the highly obvious, is your laptops WiFi card switched on? Does the Laptop see the router?

netmum

Post by netmum » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:53 am

No it is not seeing the router, bluetooth connectivity is on but have no clue how to turn on the WiFi card. (I am assuming these are the same)
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

austdata

Post by austdata » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:04 pm

BlueTooth and Wireless aren't the same. If your Laptop is a Dell, there is a manual switch on the righthand side. It needs to be slid all the way toward the back or away from you.

There will be a set-up wizard located on the bottom menu bar near the clock. Click on that and see how you go.

If it's not a Dell, please advise make and model.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

netmum

Post by netmum » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Thanks, the wireless is enabled. It is a Toshiba T1800.
The wireless radar is detecting a neighbours router but not mine, therefore I cannot connect with the wizard.
Have tried manually but no luck....having just said that the radar has detected my router RTA1046VW but there is an error...cancelled due to time-out or user action....then it says network security key is incorrect, but I have checked over and over again. Can the security key be any characters ? (ASCII)

lunatic

Post by lunatic » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:23 pm

There can be a number of issues here.

Firstly a complaint about a network security key is not necessarily the cause, sometimes WiFi will report that error when there is a different cause.

1) Check both the router and laptop are using the same form of protection (typically WEP, WPA, or WPA2).

2) Check you do not have the MAC list enabled (in the router). A MAC is like an electronic serial number inside your WiFi card, and the MAC list will only allow connections from units which are on the list. It is best to have this off until you get things going, then you can enable it (after adding the laptops MAC entry!).

Sometimes one or the other end will need a reboot for the settings to become effective, so if things don't seem to be working when they should, cycle the power. Make sure you save the settings before doing so.

netmum

Post by netmum » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:37 pm

[quote="lunatic"]

1) Check both the router and laptop are using the same form of protection (typically WEP, WPA, or WPA2).

Ok I have the main computer set at WPA-PSK (as the manual states) and the laptop on WPA-personal, this could be the issue but not sure what to change it to.

Laptop options are- Main computer-
No authentication 64 bit WEP
Shared 128bit WEP
WPA-personal 802.1X
WPA2-personal WPA
WPA-enterprise WPA-PSK
WPA2-enterprise WPA2
802.1X WPA2-PSK
mixed WPA2/PSK
mixed WPA/PSK2

2) Check you do not have the MAC list enabled (in the router). A MAC is like an electronic serial number inside your WiFi card, and the MAC list will only allow connections from units which are on the list. It is best to have this off until you get things going, then you can enable it (after adding the laptops MAC entry!).

Wireless MAC Access Control

I have this checked *On in Allow mode (Only those wireless adaptors listed in the access control table are allowed to connect to your router, others are denied.)

Thanks for taking the time to look at this for me, I realise how frustrating it is to deal with clueless people...lol

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:29 pm

netmum wrote: Wireless MAC Access Control
I have this checked *On in Allow mode (Only those wireless adaptors listed in the access control table are allowed to connect to your router, others are denied.)
There is your problem! Turn off Wireless MAC Access Control or add your MAC Address (you can find that in an ipconfig/all request) to the list to resolve this problem.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

netmum

Post by netmum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:27 pm

OK I have had some success...I can actually connect wirelessly...but with no security....i feel like a sitting duck
My issue now is the laptop options for security and the router options do not match.
The closest is WPA on the router/desktop computer and WPA-personal on the laptop. According to Dynalink support the must match exactly.
My hubby is not online all day like me so I am going to risk it temporarily until I have the energy to look at it again.
Anyone have any suggestions??

lunatic

Post by lunatic » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Setting the protection.

1) WPA-PSK and WPA-personal are the same thing. If the router can do WPA2 then use that as it is more secure.

2) Set up the MAC list:

On the laptop open a command prompt (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt)
enter the command

ipconfig /all

Note: a space between ipconfig and the slash, but no space before the all

In the list of information you will see something like "Physical address" or "Electronic Serial Number" (ESN) or "MAC ID" then a series of numbers and letters in pairs. Write that down, then enter that into the list on the router. Check the instructions to confirm what format the MAC should be (it may have an entry area which will format it for you automatically). You should now be able to turn on the "Wireless MAC Access Control".

Note: The MAC ID is actually hexidecimal digits so zero to nine and A to F, so don't use letter O instead of zero

I would suggest doing these one at a time, so you are sure the first step has worked, before you do the second one.

netmum

Post by netmum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:34 pm

lunatic wrote:
1) WPA-PSK and WPA-personal are the same thing. If the router can do WPA2 then use that as it is more secure.
Thanks that has worked, originally I had it set as WPA and WPA personal.
So simple yet so frustrating.... :)

rammatta2006

Post by rammatta2006 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:01 am

Hi everyone. I have a similar problem. My laptop hp does not connect to the internet. Can see the wireless connection. Laptop runs on vista. It was working last week. Now says limited connectivity. Passkey error etc. Can someone please help? I ahve tried putting the correct passkey several times. sometime says connected. But no internet.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:59 am

rammatta2006 wrote:Hi everyone. I have a similar problem. My laptop hp does not connect to the internet. Can see the wireless connection. Laptop runs on vista. It was working last week. Now says limited connectivity. Passkey error etc. Can someone please help? I ahve tried putting the correct passkey several times. sometime says connected. But no internet.
have you rebooted your router and/or wireless access point?

rammatta2006

Post by rammatta2006 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:31 pm

i did, it connects and says local only!! No internet.
just for info.
My router is NB9w. The settings are
wpa-psk
wpa group key: 0
wpa encryption:aes
wep encription: disabled

my laptop settings running vista
wpa-personal
encription type: aes

coromal1

Post by coromal1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:58 pm

In my 'start up panel' when I go to 'Connect to' it lists the network connections, one of which is the RTA1046VWY5478C modem - the error message reads:

'Settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements of the network'. How I correct this please?