my laptop dosnt work with NB9 maxxi ..sigh

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
soaper

my laptop dosnt work with NB9 maxxi ..sigh

Post by soaper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:39 pm

this has been working seamlessly since it was hooked up about 2 weeks ago

was working til we went out some hours ago

not sure is son used it when we got back or not but when i went to get mail and hook up about half an hour ago...............nothing :cry:

the PC is working

the blue light for wireless is on like usual on the laptop.

wan light on the modem is on

i actually dont have a clue with this as to where to even start....given that nothing was changed by us.

i have checked the settings as best i can but cant see anything obvious.

the mac thing (in the previous query on on working laptop) is disabled

mail and internet are not working

anyone got a clue as to what it might be?

many thanks

i have rebooted the laptop
when i ask the little icon to diagnose the problem it tells me that the signal is not strong enough

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH wah

just as i typed that.........big virus warning came up from avast on the PC and i tole it to delete .
another popped up and i told it to delete

AS SOON AS I DID THAT..........THE WIRELESS CONNECTED

i was going to delete this mail as being in the relms of weirdness.......but i am leaving it to see if anyone thinks that there is any connection between viruses nad inability of laptops to connect over shared modems

dosnt seem likely does it??
maybe others had issues other than me starting around 5.45pm
but the instant i deleted the virus........the wirless connected
i have the machines side by side so could see it

off to praise Avast and sing songs to it :D :idea:

thanks anyone who has a clue

JamesR

Re: my laptop dosnt work with NB9 maxxi ..sigh

Post by JamesR » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:42 pm

The virus you had could have been preventing any such network connections on both Ethernet and wireless...

I have only ever seen this happen once before on a client's computer. I always use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php, which has been very helpful in identifying and removing viruses that some other leading anti-virus and anti-malware software couldn't find.

It's good to hear your Internet is working again :)
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

soaper

Post by soaper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:33 pm

JamesR wrote:The virus you had could have been preventing any such network connections on both Ethernet and wireless...

I have only ever seen this happen once before on a client's computer. I always use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php, which has been very helpful in identifying and removing viruses that some other leading anti-virus and anti-malware software couldn't find.

It's good to hear your Internet is working again :)
well i am glad that it dosnt seem so weird to someone else :D

given that is is showing some logic to u.......can i ask..please
this laptop came with Norton which i dont ususally use but which i had planned on letting run for the time it does.......3 months i think.
it came also with
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... fault.mspx
which i have left as is, figuring it must be doing some good and be reasonable

i usually use AVG or Avast and Adaware and that has worked with FF etc over the years in saving me from viruses that actually have gotten into the computer.
two only in 10 years.

it was avast that came up with the virus warning .
the PC was working and it was about 15min after i found i couldnt make the lap top work that i used the PC to start a mail to the forum.
then i rebooted the laptop and concurrently reloaded a web page on the PC (or got a mail .....i cant really remember) and it seemed to trigger the virus warning from avast.

nothing happened on this PC except i couldnt connnect.
no word from mr norton at all.
should i have expected a warning on the laptop do u think .??
how should i be expected to figure out that the failure to connect is a virus ????
i am only 2 weeks old laptop wise so there is a lot of stuff i havnt a clue about in all sorts of areas...but it dosnt seem logical to simply block a connection with no message

the computers are on the same modem but not networked
was the virus aimed at the PC....or maybe it was a mail.
how would i know????
mail comes to both computers. it is duplicate mail ........which is ok ....and the accounts are pretty clean of spam or people likely to virus me.
AFAIK
unfortunately i have windows email on the PC right now ...llllloong story but i will redo thunderbird another day

it is all something i hadnt thought about much given that the computers are not networked and that the PC seems to have always been very *secure*.
the laptop is something of an unknown as yet, tho i believed it was ok, as i am keeping it as a lean mean computing machine.LOL

so now i am curious as to how all this works in regard to viruses.
is there some sort of way that they act in such a modem connection situation when the protection systems are either the same .....or different in this case?

i will put avast on the laptop tomorrow i think and get rid of norton.
i should have done it before but half the world seems happy with norton so i thought i would give it a go

if this question is all off topic and irrelevant to the grand scheme of things............dont worry...ignore it :lol:

and thanks James

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:38 am

soaper wrote:i will put avast on the laptop tomorrow i think and get rid of norton.
i should have done it before but half the world seems happy with norton so i thought i would give it a go
In my opinion, Norton is a terrible product. I find it too bloated and resource intensive. Usually, it is quite effective at identifying and quarantining viruses, but other products, like Avast and AVG, do the job just as well and are much less bloated.
soaper wrote:if this question is all off topic and irrelevant to the grand scheme of things............dont worry...ignore it
Viruses are never off-topic. Knowledge of them is very important in today's modern society. In general, viruses are very surreptitious but some common ways they find their way onto your system are:
  • Executables in mail attachments. Pictures, music, movies are all fine but anything executable attached to an email is 99% likely to be a virus (100% likely if you are unsure what it is / who it is from). These, however, are highly visible and require you to actually run them to infect your system
  • Malware / spyware. These are usually packaged with a useful utility or software application and install when you install the main app. For example, you might download a nice wallpaper application that changes your desktop into a slideshow. Little apps like this can be a prime target for an intentional and malicious second application unbeknownst to the user.
  • Embedded applets in web pages. This was primarily an Internet Explorer 6 "feature" but several years ago, Microsoft's lax security features in IE led to incredibly rampant viruses that found ways to install themselves onto systems even if the user were to just browse to particular sites. No warning, no popup, just instant infection. If you have a patched IE, or use Mozilla though, you are not exposed to these attacks
  • Boot media. Devices like floppy disks, USB sticks, USB hard drives and CD/DVDs can easily be infected by a virus that is self-propagating. They use the AutoRun feature of Windows (when you install a media like this, Windows automatically executes a special file on them to initiate things like driver installations). These Autorun files can be easily injected with a virus, or can contract a virus from a second user's system and carry it into yours when the infected media is inserted
The reason why if affected your laptop and not your desktop may be due to the different software installed on each or the different devices plugged into and out of each. It is almost impossible to say though. As for why it simply blocked your connection, this is likely to be a bug in the virus design. Its intention is quite likely to piggyback onto your internet connection to send or monitor internet requests. But it might have been programmed very poorly and to only work on, say, particular versions of Windows. Yours may be a slightly different version and so the code that was written actually has the unfortunate side-effect of botching up your network connection.

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:07 am

CoreyPlover wrote: In my opinion, Norton is a terrible product. I find it too bloated and resource intensive. Usually, it is quite effective at identifying and quarantining viruses, but other products, like Avast and AVG, do the job just as well and are much less bloated.
The reason why if affected your laptop and not your desktop may be due to the different software installed on each or the different devices plugged into and out of each. It is almost impossible to say though. As for why it simply blocked your connection, this is likely to be a bug in the virus design. Its intention is quite likely to piggyback onto your internet connection to send or monitor internet requests. But it might have been programmed very poorly and to only work on, say, particular versions of Windows. Yours may be a slightly different version and so the code that was written actually has the unfortunate side-effect of botching up your network connection.
thanks Corey

i know Nortons reputation but have never had an issue with it in the short times i have had it when it has come packaged with the computer and before i have switched over.
lesson learned :roll:
i didnt have it installed on the last two PC but recall that i had issues getting all files off when uninstalling the previous one/s.

and yes..i forgot to add that the PC has XP and the laptop has Vista home basic.
apart from the virus protection differences

is there any comment on the Windows defender?
i plan to remove it but it has no malware or spyware showing on the computer on scan, works in real time, so i have to assume that either it is working well and effective or dosnt work well...at all :? .
i have to later today run another malware program on the lap top to see but meanwhile i have a loooong day at dental stuff and will leave the laptop off

and i have realised that my son has added Mirc to the laptop.
he is taking that off tonight :evil:

yes
we have avoided all issues in the past with the non use of IE and MS mail types.
not opening files etc etc etc.
and not running much in the way of programs that make promises.
except for one pic some girl posted my son many years ago and he was silly enough to accept.......that was a dozey and took days to get off the Norton protected computer *&^&(&^(&^(.

thanks