Set up on Nokia N95

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
Morphed

Re: Set up on Nokia N95

Post by Morphed » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Have downloaded from the suggested topic site in applications on the NokiaN95 and followed through using the codec code of G729 then returned to the SIP settings to check the data that i had entered but still comes up with same message," Unable to save. Profiles in same realm must have same user name." Any further suggestions? May be i have a problem with the drivers in the PC NOkia Suite. Should i delete and reload the suite?

Ps Gidget wasn't trying to access Wlan

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Morphed wrote:Ps Gidget wasn't trying to access Wlan
Sorry, just re-read your earlier post and saw that I had previously mis-understood what you wrote :oops:

If you can connect to the internet from your phone (which indicates that your access point "exetel1" is set up correctly), there's really no reason why fring shouldn't work (provided that it is set up to use "exetel1" and your VOIP user name and VOIP password were entered correctly when you initially set up fring).

I'm out of ideas, but hopefully jokiin might be able to help you further.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

samarium

Post by samarium » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:31 pm

Morphed wrote:Have downloaded from the suggested topic site in applications on the NokiaN95 and followed through using the codec code of G729 then returned to the SIP settings to check the data that i had entered but still comes up with same message," Unable to save. Profiles in same realm must have same user name." Any further suggestions? May be i have a problem with the drivers in the PC NOkia Suite. Should i delete and reload the suite?

Ps Gidget wasn't trying to access Wlan
When I had that problem, I deleted all the existing SIP profiles, and recreated a new one from scratch.

I have seen that error message when I tried to create two SIP profiles for exetel, one with WiFi and one with HSPA. At the moment, I'm just swapping access point as required, however it is irritating.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:47 pm

samarium wrote:When I had that problem, I deleted all the existing SIP profiles, and recreated a new one from scratch.

I have seen that error message when I tried to create two SIP profiles for exetel, one with WiFi and one with HSPA. At the moment, I'm just swapping access point as required, however it is irritating.
Deleting all SIP profiles and starting afresh was also the recommendation in one of the comments (by "Matt") on Steve's blog that I posted earlier.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:26 pm

samarium wrote: When I had that problem, I deleted all the existing SIP profiles, and recreated a new one from scratch.
that's the correct way to do it, the SIP settings won't apply to the original profile with that app

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Morphed wrote:Hi Gidget, Have triple checked so here goes all the details.
Tools-settings-connection-access points
exetel1

select

Connection name: red asterix exetel1
Data bearer:Packet data
Access point name:exetel1

I am unable to locate at this stage via the menu - Use access point: After confirmation or automatically
my options/submenu only gives change,advanced settings,help or exit.

Tools-Settings-Connection-SIP settings
Exetel
Not registered

Select

Profile name: Exetel
Service Profile: IETF
Default access point: exetel1
Public user name:sip:087200xxxx@58.96.1.2
Proxy Server Address:sip:58.96.1.2
Realm:58.96.1.2

Where am i making my mistake do you think?
Thanks once again for your help
Hi Morphed,

I don't know if you have found the solution yet, but I have the native SIP working on my N95 (used it for both firmware V10 point something and V30.0.015). The only difference I have from you there is that I have put sip1.exetel.com.au instead of 58.96.1.2 everywhere.

I'm pretty new to using VOIP over HSPA, but I can only think of a few reasons as to why the native SIP client doesn't work:

1) Where did you get the phone from? Companies such as Three and Vodafone release their own firmware, which can stop the use of various applications (such as native SIP client). You may need to check on Google, but there is a number starting with 5 on a sticker under the battery that can be used to show if your phone is branded (ie company specific firmware).

2) If you go Tools-Settings-Connection-Internet tel, have you defined an Internet telephone profile? If not, it is easy to fill out, just give it a name and pick which SIP profile you want to use.

The first time I tried to put in the settings I also got the profiles in realm error message. I deleted the settings I had created and started again. The next time I entered the settings it worked straight away.

Good luck...

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:42 pm

Bastardised Firmware is always a problem, but it can be fixed by using Nemesis Service Suite (NSS) and The Nokia Software Updater(NSS).

Here are the step-by-step instructions to de-brand the Nokia N95: How to debrand your Nokia N95 (and probably other Nokia phones).

I have done this many times with Nokia phones and it does work. In my opinion 3 have the worst bastardised Firmware on their phones, it pretty much cripples the Nokia S60 series.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

D Campbell

Post by D Campbell » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Morphed wrote: by Morphed on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:49 pm
Have downloaded from the suggested topic site in applications on the NokiaN95 and followed through using the codec code of G729 then returned to the SIP settings to check the data that i had entered but still comes up with same message," Unable to save. Profiles in same realm must have same user name." Any further suggestions? May be i have a problem with the drivers in the PC NOkia Suite. Should i delete and reload the suite?
I had the same issue with my E71 and read a post somewhere else that suggested that I reboot the phone after deleteing all profiles. So i did and set it back up and have it working.