Can't find network

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
petemoss

Can't find network

Post by petemoss » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:33 am

After trying to get the (new, just arrived yesterday) wireless going on Ubuntu, see here , decided to boot up into XP and see if I can get a signal. The software installed okay, but it can't find a network.

The green light is flashing (2 short blinks) meaning it is powered on. The message I get when I try to connect is
You can't connect before register an available network
Have tried both manual and auto settings in the Options to try and find a network, ..nope, none found. :(

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Can't find network

Post by jokiin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:35 am

did you activate the service successfully?

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:40 am

Yes, from memory there was an SMS from Exetel and an email, will just check the email, ...yes it says
This email is to inform you that your HSPA service has now been completed and activated.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am

I uninstalled the software, made sure any other networks were disabled (like the LAN), and then re-installed the software.

When prompted for the SP code, I entrered BROADBAND, as per the Exetel email. Please note that this did not set the APN to the value of 'exetel1' as per the email, so possibly the software setup on the USB stick is not correct ?

Anyway, I searched manually for a network, it found TELSTRA(2G) and YES OPTUS(2G), selected Optus of course, and it registered okay. Tried connecting, it authenticated for a while, then a message
Error 619: A connection to the remote computer could not be established, so the port used for this connection was closed
Searched on these forums, other people have had that error.

Why only 2G ? I thought this was HSPA/3G ??

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:40 am

I setup a new connection, as per the Exetel letter, and am using the USB cable extension to hopefully get a better signal. Registered the network as Optus, and finally got a connection.

However, can't use Firefox or even ping, but that could be an XP thing, as I haven't used the XP HDD for ages. I am noticing that when it connects, the green light is on solid, which means the E169 is connected to a GPRS network (YES OPTUS), the speed is only 53.6 Kbps, but it is connected. This is getting the signal by holding the E169 up off the desk a bit, because I notice when I have to put it down again on the desk (as I have the extension USB cable attached), the green light goes back to 'blink, blink', which is just the 'powered on' state.

Obviously, an extremely WEAK signal, so what can be done to improve this ? Outside antenna maybe ?

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:05 am

Peter you need to change the settings to use an APN of "exetel1" .. using the Optus network without this APN will not work.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:07 am

Please be aware that between Thursday 08/10/2008 at 10pm until Friday 09/10/2008 at 2am, Exetel will be commencing a migration between the existing HSPA Layer 3 to the HSPA Layer 2 platform.

What does this mean for you?

- It means you will be assigned a static I.P

- It means you will be able to check your usage via your user facilities as well as the inbuilt software

What do I have to do?

If you are using your HSPA service during this time or after, you should notice that your HSPA service will cut off, you *MUST* then change your APN settings to 'exetel1' (all in lowercase)

For those using the HUAWEI USB sticks you must change the APN by;

- Selecting 'Tools->Options' in the Optus software

- Selecting 'Profile Management'

- Selecting 'Edit'

- Changing only the APN to 'exetel1' (while leaving it on STATIC)

- Selecting save and then closing the window

If you experience any problems please reply to this e-mail.

Regards,

Exetel Provisioning

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:11 am

Affinity wrote:Peter you need to change the settings to use an APN of "exetel1" .. using the Optus network without this APN will not work.
Yes, that is the one I have been using, static APN with value of 'exetel1', otherwise I wouldn't have even got a connection I guess.

It's even assigned me an Exetel IP address.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:18 am

petemoss wrote:Obviously, an extremely WEAK signal, so what can be done to improve this ? Outside antenna maybe ?
You wouldn't happen to have a longer USB extension cable handy would you? Don't forget there is the USB extender option -- using that pair of equipment with an Ethernet cable than I mentioned on another thread.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:34 am

Affinity wrote: You wouldn't happen to have a longer USB extension cable handy would you?
No, I had never seen one until I opened the box yesterday, The computer is about 2 metres from the window, and when I use the supplied USB extension cable, I have to hold it up in the air, about, say one foot, and then the green light goes from blinking to on full. As soon as I put it down on the desk again, it starts blinking. Seems like it drops in and out all the time. :(

I could move the computer outside on the veranda and see what happens, but at the moment, am ready to chuck it all through the window. :lol:

I assume if it is closer, it will get a better signal (as it didn't work at all when the E169 was just plugged into the computer).
Affinity wrote: Don't forget there is the USB extender option -- using that pair of equipment with an Ethernet cable than I mentioned on another thread.
Okay, I won't forget that, thanks, but I could use an extension lead, of say 45 metres, just to get further out away from the house, power up, and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't the 45 metres of cable won't make a difference from inside the house.

Thanks,

Pete

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:42 am

petemoss wrote:I could move the computer outside on the veranda and see what happens, but at the moment, am ready to chuck it all through the window. :lol:
Wireless can be different with very small adjustments of the antenna (built in the E159 or external) position; this is the nature of wireless. It might be worth testing the stick in the roof if it is accessible enough, perhaps the slight extra height might be enough.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:58 am

Affinity wrote: Wireless can be different with very small adjustments of the antenna (built in the E159 or external) position; this is the nature of wireless. It might be worth testing the stick in the roof if it is accessible enough, perhaps the slight extra height might be enough.
The extension lead (USB) I have is about 2 foot, there is no way I can test the stick in the roof. About 90% of the time, it can't even find any network, and even when it can, it won't connect. I think I was just 'lucky' for a short while, when it did actually connect okay, but alas, it couldn't use Firefox even.

I may ring Exetel; am going to give this a break for a few days.

Thanks for your help. :)

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Your 45m extension lead... I take it you mean a power lead so that you can power everything up outside?

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:11 pm

btw my ADSL1 connnection went flaky last night, it seems to be okay now though, touch wood. high attenuation, now on 'stable' profile... was having loads of dropouts since late afternoon yesterday until about an hour ago.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Affinity wrote:Your 45m extension lead... I take it you mean a power lead so that you can power everything up outside?
Yes, I did mean/indicate that it might be worthwhile to try it outside (under the veranda of course), but the ref to 45m was to the USB extension cable you mentioned.

Despite the frustration with this, moved the XP computer about 4 foot towards the window, and used the small USB extension and stuck it on the window, up high. Figured it was worth seeing what the 'best' reception was, inside at least.

Well, searched for networks, and got Telstra, Optus and saw Vodaphone there as well, registered Optus 2G, connected, went into Firefox, and low and behold, was able to use the internet.

Started to download a 5Mb file, to see the speed, and cancelled it after 3 or 4 mins, speed is terrible, got between 2Kbps/sec to 5Kbps/sec. Well, at least the 5K is twice the speed I'm getting out of dialup at present. :lol:

Is the poor speed related to the weak signal maybe ?

Pete