Can't find network

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
Affinity

Re: Can't find network

Post by Affinity » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:57 pm

The poor speed would probably relate more to using GSM as fallback from 3G -- the signal is too weak. GSM is only good for 9600bps at best. 3G/HSPA can do much faster if the signal is there.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:52 am

Affinity wrote:The poor speed would probably relate more to using GSM as fallback from 3G -- the signal is too weak. GSM is only good for 9600bps at best. 3G/HSPA can do much faster if the signal is there.
Okay, so 9600bps is faster than dialup at present (max 2K/sec). :lol:

What is making it fallback to GSM, and how do I get 3G/HSPA ?

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:17 am

Would appreciate some support from an Exetel person please. :)

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:39 pm

Logged a fault ticket, and the Exetel support person asked what colour the light has been, it has always been green for the connection's that do get registered/connected. He asked me to try this setting:

Network Type - WCDMA only
Band - WCDMA 900

and it actually found OPTUS 3G on the search/register network, did a connect, and the 'connect' was shown as 7.2 Mbps and a BLUE light. Used Firefox, and the speed was very good, the stats showed it went up to 15K / sec, but it was short lived, only lasted about 2 mins. Now can't get anything when I try on that setting, nor can it find the OPTUS network on any setting.

That's the first time we have seen the blue light though. :D

15 mins later - The angle of the wireless seems to affect the signal, as it was moved to different angles at the window (the angle it was pointing to, outside). Was able again to get BLUE connecting okay, and saw THREE bars on the signal strength.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:07 pm

We have found the best position near the window, and also the best 'angle', it goes between blue and cyan in colour, and is switching between WCDMA (blue colour) and HSDPA(cyan colour), signal strength drops down to zero sometimes, but has been as high as 19%, but would have been higher that that when the 3 bars were showing.

BUT, my wife is getting tired legs and arms, holding it in the 'exact' position. :lol:

Wow, it just showed 56% on 3 bars. Seems to rise and drop frequently.

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:50 pm

I would pack up the computer and hspa modem & find a mates place or two where you get good signal and see how things go there.

If things work fine, then you know that signal strength is the issue, and you need to do something about positioning the modem where it gets a better signal, or attach a better aerial to it if possible. That may mean you need to find a better usb extension system either a simple usb cable, which I think can do up to 5m without issues, or a usb repeater, or something more elaborate. If you end up using an external aerial keep the modem/aerial connection short so you don't loose too much signal, better to have a long usb connection of some kind.

If thinks don't work any better at your mates place, then you are back to wondering if the issue is with the modem itself.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:27 pm

samarium wrote:I would pack up the computer and hspa modem & find a mates place or two where you get good signal and see how things go there.
Good suggestion, but I don't have a laptop, and live in a farming community, so getting a good signal could indicate travelling quite a distance from here. That would defeat the purpose of getting a better signal, as I need to get a better signal 'here' (not a few kms away). The terrain is very hilly, so signal strength between neighbours would be significant. We had a local business come out and test for wireless, and it was dead, they will put in more repeaters, but he said the terrain here (and trees, this is bush out here) plays a big factor. That was his professional opinion.

So, whilst going to another location may get a better signal, it will only really test the modem, won't it ? (signal different here).
samarium wrote: If things work fine, then you know that signal strength is the issue, and you need to do something about positioning the modem where it gets a better signal, or attach a better aerial to it if possible. That may mean you need to find a better usb extension system either a simple usb cable, which I think can do up to 5m without issues, or a usb repeater, or something more elaborate. If you end up using an external aerial keep the modem/aerial connection short so you don't loose too much signal, better to have a long usb connection of some kind.
Signal strength is max at about 56% , and it is showing that it is on WCDMA at present. I ran a speed test and download was 119kbps and upload was 55kbps, yet I'm connected at 7.2 Mbps. I notice it is swapping between networks though (from the blue back to cyan and vice versa).

The aerial and USB extension are a good idea, a friend had a 45 metre USB extension. Maybe I could see if Dick Smith has something like that. I guess the repeater is like an amplifier and will need power. I get the point about keeping the modem/aerial connection short, but I wouldn't want the modem outside the house anywhere.

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:27 am

petemoss wrote:
samarium wrote:I would pack up the computer and hspa modem & find a mates place or two where you get good signal and see how things go there.
Good suggestion, but I don't have a laptop, and live in a farming community, so getting a good signal could indicate travelling quite a distance from here. That would defeat the purpose of getting a better signal, as I need to get a better signal 'here' (not a few kms away). The terrain is very hilly, so signal strength between neighbours would be significant. We had a local business come out and test for wireless, and it was dead, they will put in more repeaters, but he said the terrain here (and trees, this is bush out here) plays a big factor. That was his professional opinion.

So, whilst going to another location may get a better signal, it will only really test the modem, won't it ? (signal different here).
Sure it just tests the signal, but at least that way you definitely know you can get a good connection from it, and need to work on the conditions to achieve that, rather than have the doubt about the hardware.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:39 pm

samarium wrote: Sure it just tests the signal, but at least that way you definitely know you can get a good connection from it, and need to work on the conditions to achieve that, rather than have the doubt about the hardware.
Yes, true. I'll have to wait until my son comes out here in a few weeks, he has a laptop, so maybe he can try it out in the back paddock or somewhere high, or even take a short drive to test it. It's connected to the USB at present, have Ubuntu up on that box, and there is a blue light. All I was geting at first was green, so even though the software isn't running, and I'm not connected, the manula for the E169 says for blue flashing like that ..

The E169 is registered to a UMTS (WCDMA/HSDPA) network

Strange it is registered with no software running, unless that registration is still from last night.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:03 pm

The 5 metre USB extension from Dick Smith made a huge difference. Speed was not constant, anywhere between 25K/sec to 33K/sec, spikes up to 50 K/sec and higher, and even a max of 84 K/sec once. The speed dropped right down to 1 K/sec at one point (was downloading a large file), but it did pick up again later. For a 126 Mb file downloaded, it took 70 mins, which is no where near as fast as adsl, BUT way faster that dialup. :lol:

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Good to see positive progress.

It would be interesting to see if a better aerial would help.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:13 pm

The HDD on XP has really been dying a slow death, so was forced to use Ubuntu 8.10 for the E169. Despite some annoyances with Network manager (it won't let me use ppp0 and eth0 ), got the E169 going. My son came out over Christmas, and he did some research on antennas beforehand; fortunately all the required gear arrived just in time before his visit.

He used his laptop to test different positions for the 'Yagi' Antenna, the highest, easily accessible place was the pole used for the TV areial. He is very thorough with this kind of work (I wouldn't have been able to do it, for sure), and the difference in speed was really incredible. Started off at 40 KB/sec to 50 KB/sec , and once he found the best spot to point the antenna, speeds were 120 KB/sec to 150 KB/sec.

So, this antenna is really great, it has made such a difference to speed, and to finding networks/connection. Really pleased with the work he did on this. :)

Have got all the details somewhere, about the actual equipment. Will post it soon, with a pic maybe.

Today, downloaded 709,457,209 bytes in 2 hours 44 mins, and 'wget' told me that was 70.5 KB/sec on average. I was doing quite a fair bit of browsing at the same time though, so the real average speed would be much higher.

That antenna is great. :D

Pete