USIM/SIM card problem Huawei E220 Modem

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
drayton

USIM/SIM card problem Huawei E220 Modem

Post by drayton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:42 pm

Hello everyone.

My Exetel sim card has been working perfectly for 6 weeks or so in my independently purchased Huawei E220 wireless modem on my PC laptop. For some reason it stopped working yesterday. When I tried to use the modem to log onto the internet whilst on the road, the Huawei software generated notice came up up saying "USIM/SIM card does not exist or unavailable". This has never appeared before. I haven't changed any settings. The only possible thing might be that I removed the dongle without going through the procedure of safely removing the usb device as I had done religiously in the past. Can anyone shed light on what has happened and how I might be able to re-connect to the net using my Huawei modem and Exetel sim card? Many thanks...Drayton :(

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: USIM/SIM card problem Huawei E220 Modem

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:58 pm

drayton wrote: the Huawei software generated notice came up up saying "USIM/SIM card does not exist or unavailable". This has never appeared before. I haven't changed any settings.
that sounds more like it not reading the SIM itself, have you tried removing the SIM and cleaning the contacts?

drayton

Post by drayton » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks for the help, but I tried cleaning the SIM card I still get the same message - "USIM/SIM card does not exist or unavailable" when I try to connect. Any other ideas? Can I re-set the modem? Or is the SIM card faulty perhaps? Wierd... as it was working perfectly up until a few days ago. Any other help/possible fixes I'd really appreciate....Cheers Drayton :(

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:09 pm

The next thing I would do is place the SIM in a mobile phone to see if the phone recognises it and maybe place another SIM in the modem to see if that works.

If you can identify whether the SIM or the modem is faulty it will make things easier in resolving the issue.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

drayton

Post by drayton » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for that..much appreciated. I put the exetel SIM into my mobile phone and my mobile wouldn't work. I also put my mobile phone's sim card into the Huawei modem, tried to connect to the internet and the modem detected the telstra network and tried to connect - ultimately it didn't b/c it is a 3 mobile sim. But what it seems like is my sim card is faulty. Do you think this is a correct deduction? Also...Will Exetel replace my SIM?

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:53 pm

drayton wrote:Thanks for that..much appreciated. I put the exetel SIM into my mobile phone and my mobile wouldn't work. I also put my mobile phone's sim card into the Huawei modem, tried to connect to the internet and the modem detected the telstra network and tried to connect - ultimately it didn't b/c it is a 3 mobile sim. But what it seems like is my sim card is faulty. Do you think this is a correct deduction? Also...Will Exetel replace my SIM?
From what you have now posted certainly does point to the SIM card. I'm sure Exetel will replace the SIM, whether there will be a charge or not they will have to tell you.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM