Blue light on E169 - but no connection

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
pab7868

Blue light on E169 - but no connection

Post by pab7868 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:09 pm

Have the E169, and the blue light is on (does change between blue and cyan), however, I cannot access internet nor emails. Data is sent, but none received.
Only fix is to disconnect power on router (or disconnect if plugged into PC) and then reconnect, and re-establish connection to network.

The biggest problem with this is that I want to ditch telstra landline and go VoIP through 3G. But this problem will prevent people calling me and me calling out, unless I disconnect and reconnect which is a hassle.

thx
Andrew

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Blue light on E169 - but no connection

Post by jokiin » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:31 am

if you are using with a router have you checked the settings, some have a time out value if no activity, you may need to disable this

trissy

Post by trissy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:46 am

This same issue occurs with me on the odd occasion, especially in areas where it is switching between WCDMA & HSPA regularly. (Blue & Cyan).
The only workaround I have found to prevent this is have constant traffic flowing (ie a ping -t). If it don't this in those areas, then I get the same symptons as the OP - no down traffic what so ever.

Reconnecting fixes it, howver is not ideal.
Tristan.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:22 pm

You could try configuring the modem to always use the WCDMA network only. This would stop it trying to autoswitch.

pab7868

Post by pab7868 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:32 pm

I had the modem configured to WCDMA only, and this 'lockup' still occurred. (I think it was fine until I changed it to WCDMA only).

Settings ok on router - it also happens when connected to computer (bypassing router)

Have now adjusted settings back to WCDMA only and the 900 MHz band only.

The problem is that it appears to be connected to either WCDMA or HSDPA , and it just 'Locks Up'. It actually happens frequently to a mate whose with Virgin.

I'll give the ping thing a try.

thx
Andrew

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:14 pm

I have the same problem on both my PC and laptop (no router - the USB is directly connected). his is why I can't see wireless being a "real" ADSL+landline replacement, it is only a "backup" or for people who can't get ADSL, or who need portability.

I know there are many who disagree (including JL) but until it is as reliable as ADSL it won't replace a landline.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Mobile phones already do replace landlines in many cases (Naked ADSL2+).