Exetel HSDPA with IBM T61

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
huzzy

Exetel HSDPA with IBM T61

Post by huzzy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:08 am

Hi,

I have a IBM/Lenovo T61 on Vista Business SP1 with the inbuilt Sierra HSDPA modem (originally with a Voda Sim card but never activated).
I recently recieved and installed my Exetel/Optus Hauwi E169 which works great.

However I would like to take advantage of the built in modem, is it possible?

So far I have tried to place the Optus Sim in the Laptop sim slot, the optus connection software does not detect a modem at all.
I installed the Vodafone Connection software and it detected the modem, however it says incorrect sim (duh!)

I noticed the Optus Software created a Dial Up connection called exetel with the details "*99#" as the number to dial. The modem selected in this connection was the Hauwi, so I unticked it and ticked the Sierra, but no luck. Optus software still does not detect a modem, and manually dialing the connection gets a "server did not respond" error.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
H

James D

Re: Exetel HSDPA with IBM T61

Post by James D » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:38 am

You would need to see if the built in modem has its own "dial in" software as the installed software off the USB modem will only work with those modems.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:18 am

According to this: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... 67955.html it only works with Vodafone and Cingular. (How annoying!)

EDIT: also http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/ ... =pt_lenovo

huzzy

Post by huzzy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks Guys for the bad news :)

I guess my next step is to search for some firmware that isnt locked to voda.

huzzy

Post by huzzy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:51 pm

Further investigation....

Lenovo innitaily released these laptops with a locked HSDPA modem (vodafone) but after negative feedback changed this to an unlocked modem with voda software and sim installed.
If you are unlucky enough to have a locked modem, Unlocking is quite straightforward, and can be obtained by calling Lenovo and lodging a support request.
Once you have this unlock code you need to head to the Sierra wireless website and download the Generic Wireless Watcher software (approx 25mb) and install, this software will allow you to unlock the modem to all supported networks (optus, voda, next g [only up to 3.6mbps] etc etc). Read the help menu for instructions on this.

The wireless watcher also creates your connection, so you need to enter the APN and other details given by exetel to get connected.
(This is required at the Exetel/Optus software only supports the optus dongle, as does the voda software appears to only want to support a voda connection.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:16 pm

Looks like you almost have it sorted huzzy which is great. The rest shouldn't be an issue with plenty of support here. :D

I certainly wouldn't have been impressed to get a brand new laptop with a built-in modem that I could not use!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

huzzy

Post by huzzy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:42 pm

Modem unlocked, and exetel connection working like a champ.

Thank you Lenovo, Thank you Sierra and thank you Exetel.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:05 pm

T61s and R61s are the favourites of the Linux community, but that Sierra software appears to be Windows. I guess it can be fixed on the terminal - has anybody tried?