Virgin Prepaid Mobile Broadband starter kit and Exetel SIM

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
sqgl

Re: Virgin Prepaid Mobile Broadband starter kit and Exetel SIM

Post by sqgl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:59 pm

soaper wrote:got the virgin modem and then the exetel sim.
can get it set up and working with exetel1.......but it dosnt" hold" the setting.
I have set up two Virgin modems for friends and did not have this problem.
Is it possible to use Virgin SIM again and see if it saves settings?
If still not saving then get Virgin to fix for you.

soaper

Post by soaper » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:14 pm

I have set up two Virgin modems for friends and did not have this problem.
Is it possible to use Virgin SIM again and see if it saves settings?
If still not saving then get Virgin to fix for you
it kept the virgin settings with virgin
it has hardly used and the free time was barely touched and i switched to exetel.........but it did keep the settings.
now there is no free time so i cant go back readily to check

no matter how i set it it registers as Virgin as a shortcut on the desktop.
that dosnt matter really......but does it mean anything in relation to this issue ???

thanks
Last edited by soaper on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sqgl

Post by sqgl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:40 pm

soaper wrote:it kept the virgin settings with virgin
it was hardly used and the free time was barely touched and i switched to exetel.........but it did keep the settings.
The Virgin settings were in there already. Are you saying you tried changing them as an experiment and it saved those settings?

Anyhow, you don't have to use the Virgin software to connect with. Have you tried other software? I use "mobile partner" and have given the download URL in these forums somewhere. On a PC it is also possible to connect without any of that software, just use the windows dialer software same as for old-school dial-up. The "phone number" you dial is *99#

soaper

Post by soaper » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:50 pm

sqgl wrote:
soaper wrote:it kept the virgin settings with virgin
it was hardly used and the free time was barely touched and i switched to exetel.........but it did keep the settings.
The Virgin settings were in there already. Are you saying you tried changing them as an experiment and it saved those settings?

Anyhow, you don't have to use the Virgin software to connect with. Have you tried other software? I use "mobile partner" and have given the download URL in these forums somewhere. On a PC it is also possible to connect without any of that software, just use the windows dialer software same as for old-school dial-up. The "phone number" you dial is *99#
no nothing was changed except to enter *exetel1*
nothing at all
it simply asked for *exetel1* each time the machine was used.......... which machine is a free floating netbook not much used online

however i just dragged it out and tried it again and having had TAFE holidays seems to have made it better. :D 8)
it is connecting readily to exetel as it retains its Virgin name on the desktop........which dosnt matter

it must have known i was coming here to gripe about it LOL

i will come back if the setting dosnt stay........thanks for the help sqql

the speeds are all over the place but i will look at that later because it isnt actually used here in the house where we have computers and modem with wi fi