HSDPA Broadand Drop outs - Extremely Frustrating

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
daftdog

Re: HSDPA Broadand Drop outs - Extremely Frustrating

Post by daftdog » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanx peterh_oz, I will look into it.
I now realize that I also misread the coverage maps and didn't realize that the areas covered by 2100MHz are also covered by 900 MHz. I thought they were separate systems for different areas eg 900Mhz was for the hilly areas and 2100MHz was for urban and flatter areas.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:16 pm

Yep, dropouts are frustrating all right; have had 9 tonight in less than 2 hours. :(

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

I have had a support ticket open now for several months, about the timeouts and disconnects. Here is tonights log ..
Mar 23 19:18:21 pppd[6775]: LCP terminated by peer
Mar 23 19:18:21 pppd[6775]: Connect time 1.3 minutes.
Mar 23 19:33:30 pppd[9159]: LCP terminated by peer
Mar 23 19:33:30 pppd[9159]: Connect time 13.9 minutes.
Mar 23 19:36:45 pppd[13014]: LCP terminated by peer
Mar 23 19:36:45 pppd[13014]: Connect time 2.4 minutes.
Mar 23 19:42:48 pppd[15163]: LCP terminated by peer
Mar 23 19:42:48 pppd[15163]: Connect time 5.9 minutes.
Mar 23 19:52:28 pppd[17872]: LCP terminated by peer
Mar 23 19:52:28 pppd[17872]: Connect time 9.4 minutes.
Mar 23 19:55:15 pppd[21005]: LCP terminated by peer
Mar 23 19:55:15 pppd[21005]: Connect time 2.5 minutes.
Mar 23 19:59:06 pppd[23411]: LCP terminated by peer
Mar 23 19:59:06 pppd[23411]: Connect time 3.3 minutes.
Mar 23 20:02:42 pppd[29932]: LCP terminated by peer
Mar 23 20:02:42 pppd[29932]: Connect time 1.1 minutes.
Mar 23 20:08:21 pppd[32127]: LCP terminated by peer
Mar 23 20:08:21 pppd[32127]: Connect time 4.3 minutes.
Mar 23 20:34:46 pppd[4945]: LCP terminated by peer
Mar 23 20:34:46 pppd[4945]: Connect time 19.0 minutes.
which is a 'normal' night. There were actually quite a few more, they just get reported differently.

When are Exetel going to fix this problem ?? :cry:

Peter

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:43 am

Do Exetel have a complaints department, or some sort of avenue for lodging a complaint ? The dropouts (and other issues) have been going on for months, and this mornings reply was quite typical of Exetels response
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Do you wish to continue the service ?

Regards,

Nuran J
Exetel Support Engineer

Exetel Pty Ltd
The message ID in the email was "kgzdgu.qdgupl@inthelpdesk.exetel.com.au" ; no doubt some 'off-shore' help desk centre I suppose. When are Australian companies going to realise that people in other countries just don't speak the same lingo we do here, so they cannot hope to understand what is even trying to be communicated. (sigh).

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:55 am

Exetel have publicly announced the Sri Lanka operations.

The message ID isn't anything useful - the ticket number, in the subject is.

To make a complaint - email either complaints@exetel.com.au or resolution@exetel.com.au (Both are reviewed by management).]

"so they cannot hope to understand what is even trying to be communicated. "
- I think this is incorrect.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:19 pm

JasonM wrote: The message ID isn't anything useful - the ticket number, in the subject is.
I don't think we can deny this came from Sri Lanka, can we ? With a msg ID of 'kgzdgu.qdgupl@inthelpdesk.exetel.com.au' , the sub domain obviously means ..
international help desk , does it not ?
JasonM wrote: "so they cannot hope to understand what is even trying to be communicated. "
- I think this is incorrect.
Having lived for a number of years overseas, in a country where English was the second language, I would strongly disagree. Even face to face, communication was often somewhat difficult for us, and emails even more so.

Communicating to a person who 'speaks' (reading, writing and speaking) English, is VERY different to understanding the communication, that is, a degree of interpretation, etc is needed. Exetel customers should not have to do any interpretating, and these overseas operators are a continual frustration. In general, they do not understand what is being communicated. An exerpt from the same operator the other day ..
What exactly do you wish to do ?
The above question could only have been asked, by a person who clearly, did not understand the problem/issues. Overseas operators may be cheaper for Exetel, but they provide much less 'quality of service'.

Peter

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:08 pm

After 4 months of being on HSPA, and many emails to Exetel, today I get this reply
Please find that we have logged this fault with our supplier and already tested your service. According to the test results, you should not expect any 3G reception inside your home therefor unfortunately we are unable to stabalise the service for you.

It would have been opportune to know this prior to signing up for HSPA.

Not impressed. :(

Pete

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:30 pm

petemoss wrote:After 4 months of being on HSPA, and many emails to Exetel, today I get this reply
Please find that we have logged this fault with our supplier and already tested your service. According to the test results, you should not expect any 3G reception inside your home therefor unfortunately we are unable to stabalise the service for you.

It would have been opportune to know this prior to signing up for HSPA.

Not impressed. :(

Pete
Sorry, but I'm not sure how you expected Exetel to know what the reception inside your house would be like??? I presume you checked the coverage for your area before signing up, but I expect there are "black spots" (for want of a better term) within all coverage areas for a myriad of different reasons. For example, HSPA coverage inside my house isn't crash hot either, although usable.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 pm

Gidget wrote: Sorry, but I'm not sure how you expected Exetel to know what the reception inside your house would be like???
1. I don't think 'inside the house' is the issue. The reply from Exetel is from the International Help Desk, and again demonstrates the inability of off-shore help desks, to understand the problem correctly. I have addressed this beforehand (see a few posts previous), the issue of Exetel using support staff, who find it very difficult to understand problems, for the simple fact that English is their second language.

2. Putting the 'house' issue aside for a moment, I went to considerable 'effort' to put in a large antenna, so the reception is from outside, not inside.
Gidget wrote: I presume you checked the coverage for your area before signing up.
Of course. :roll:
Gidget wrote: , but I expect there are "black spots" (for want of a better term) within all coverage areas for a myriad of different reasons.
That surely would indicate poor speeds and dropouts continually, yet this is not the case. This is at night, probably a traffic problem, not a black spot.

Pete

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:41 pm

JasonM wrote: To make a complaint - email either complaints@exetel.com.au or resolution@exetel.com.au (Both are reviewed by management).
Is there really a complaints department. I have contacted both of these emails addresses, and no reply ??

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:22 pm

petemoss wrote:
JasonM wrote: To make a complaint - email either complaints@exetel.com.au or resolution@exetel.com.au (Both are reviewed by management).
Is there really a complaints department. I have contacted both of these emails addresses, and no reply ??
Yes, of course there is, although it is better to email one or the other address rather than both - multiple emails raise multiple tickets and may be investigated by different people which wastes everyone's time.

Now, do you know what ticket numbers were allocated to your emails? If you received an automatic response the ticket number should appear in the subject line.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:46 pm

I have several ticket numbers outstanding, from months ago. There was no automatted response back, but possibly that is because I fowarded a previous reply from Exetel (with ticket number in subject); possibly I should send a new email.

One thing I have noticed last night and tonight, is the following ..

1. Previously (for a number of months), the dropout problem in particular has been happening a lot, especially at night. There is also very slow speed, but the dropouts make using the internet unbeareable, it would not be unusual to attempt to reconnect 40 or 50 times, some nights (I do it from CLI, so the up arrow is very handy). When a connect was successful, I could use email, web browser, etc, but I noticed if I did not use it continually, it would drop out again. But by continually, I mean, ... constantly. The connection would drop even if I was, for example, viewing a web page for as little as one minute. Then a few nights ago, several files were being downloaded at night, an auto update, and this went for 30 to 40 mins, during this peak time at night, and .. absolutely no dropouts.

2. So, last night, I setup several files to download. When they were being downloaded, I could also do email, web, albeit slow, but no dropouts, the connection stayed alive. Was watching the last file being downloaded, and no more than 10 to 15 seconds after the last file completed downloading, the HSPA connection dropped out. Several more small tests like this, showed the same result, and tonight, exactly the same.

It is, as if, Optus are pulling the plug on me, if they "think" there is no "activity".

But I should not have to download files all the time, just to keep a connection 'active', should I ?

HTH

Pete

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi Pete

If you read the first page of posts in this thread you might find the advice helpful.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Thanks Gidget, looks like during these busy periods (I have also noticed it at 3 pm, could be 'smoko' time and people are using mobiles more, so more traffic at that time ?? ), Optus want to keep the number of connections that are open/active to a minimum, so they drop any connection that has no activity for 'nn' seconds.

I see in those posts letting a ping run is one workaround, but can Exetel get some sort of official statement from Optus ?

The problem with getting 'dropped' like this, during peak/busy traffic periods , is that once the connection is lost, it is extremely hard to get connected again, sometimes 30 mins or so. often not at all. It's usually not a case of just connecting again, the syslogs show an attempt at connect, even an authentication ;ok', but the connection is not made at the other end. :(

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Have got a terminal session going ..
$ ping -i 10 -s 1 203.13.127.32
PING 203.13.127.32 (203.13.127.32) 1(29) bytes of data.
9 bytes from 203.13.127.32: icmp_seq=1 ttl=246
9 bytes from 203.13.127.32: icmp_seq=2 ttl=246
There are 8 bytes of ICMP header data, so sending the 1 byte every 10 seconds will keep bandwidth down. Will see how this goes.

Pete