HSDPA Broadand Drop outs - Extremely Frustrating

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
petemoss

Re: HSDPA Broadand Drop outs - Extremely Frustrating

Post by petemoss » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:46 pm

I'm still getting some disconnects, although not as high as 'normal'.

Is it packet size on the ping, or is it the interval setting, that will keep this connection "alive" ?

Pete

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi Pete

Sorry, but I've got no idea :oops: but I imagine someone more knowledgeable than I will be along with the answer soon.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:57 pm

An interval of 10 seconds still seemed to drop occassionally, so lowered that to 7 seconds ..

$ ping -i 7 -s 2 exetel.com.au

That seems to have kept a constant connection, but only time will tell if lowering the interval really makes a difference.

Thanks,

Pete

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Would it help to upgrade the firmware ? See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 34#p238797

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:52 am

JasonM wrote: To make a complaint - email either complaints@exetel.com.au or resolution@exetel.com.au (Both are reviewed by management).
Jason, what is the usual turnaround on these sort of matters ? I still have not received anything back from Exetel, not even an automatted reply as acknowledgement.

Pete

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:19 am

Pete, I can't find a ticket number here.

Have you tried setting the software to WCDMA mode only, to see if it drops?
In Tools > Options > Network, you should see an option for WCDMA mode only (not preferred).

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:57 pm

Jason, I simply emailed to one of those addresses, no auto reply back, and no ticket raised. I guess I'll just try again.
JasonM wrote: Have you tried setting the software to WCDMA mode only, to see if it drops?
In Tools > Options > Network, you should see an option for WCDMA mode only (not preferred).
I'm using Ubuntu (Linux), so no M$ software. That said, I have finally got a new HDD to replace the one that was 'cactus' with XP pro on it, so need to put the new HDD in, and re-install XP, make it dual boot (seperate drives) with grub, install the E169 software, and see how it goes. I don't know how long that will take me though, I'm not very 'quick' (in many ways).

Have a safe and happy Easter,

Pete

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:17 am

Would it help to upgrade the firmware ? See this post

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Mon May 04, 2009 10:14 am

Last week, I dropped into the local Optus shop, and asked if any towers were burnt out in the bushfires. They informed me that a tower, close to us, was burnt out.

It would have been great if Exetel informed me of this (via Optus of course).  

It is since the bushfires that the reception has been very poor, resulting in dropouts, unable to connect, slow speeds, etc, etc.

Obviously, communication between Optus and Exetel needs to be improved.

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Tue May 05, 2009 6:30 pm

I have been getting the most horrible service in the last few days in Peak times. It has become so slow that I actually had to refresh the forum page several times and wait about 10 minutes for the page to load. What sort of pathetic service is this meant to be, you can sell this crap to people? I was getting faster speeds back in 1996, this is absolutly unfair. :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue May 05, 2009 6:35 pm

Monsoon

I've asked you before to moderate your language. If you cannot post in an adult fashion on this Forum then your posting privileges will be removed. Frustration does not necessarily have to lead to a tantrum. If you want help, please ask politely and/or lodge a support ticket.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Tue May 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Gidget wrote:Monsoon

I've asked you before to moderate your language. If you cannot post in an adult fashion on this Forum then your posting privileges will be removed. Frustration does not necessarily have to lead to a tantrum. If you want help, please ask politely and/or lodge a support ticket.

Gidget
Im sure if you seen how bad my connection is then I'm sure you would be making a lot more noise than that! My connection is really terrible and I should have known you would not care less about that and would jump at any chance to get me banned as im sure your still sore about your abuse you gave me when I first joined and I never took your bait and replied back to your nasty comments. Have a look in the mirror and maybe if you see some of the things you write this would seem quite tame.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue May 05, 2009 10:53 pm

Monsoon,

Lodge a support ticket if you want your speed issues looked into. But I think the best test you can try is to test the HSPA service at a different location to see if the congestion and speed issues are localised (like an overloaded mobile tower)

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed May 06, 2009 1:19 pm

monsoon wrote:
Gidget wrote:Monsoon

Gidget
Im sure if you seen how bad my connection is then I'm sure you would be making a lot more noise than that! My connection is really terrible and I should have known you would not care less about that and would jump at any chance to get me banned as im sure your still sore about your abuse you gave me when I first joined and I never took your bait and replied back to your nasty comments. Have a look in the mirror and maybe if you see some of the things you write this would seem quite tame.
These are all the posts that I have made in direct response to yours, in this and earlier threads, monsoon:
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 54#p239154
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 67#p239267
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 81#p239581
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 30#p239730
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 54#p239754
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 53#p239853
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 68#p239868
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 86#p244386

Having searched for them, I have re-read them (and they are noted here for you to re-read them if you have a mind) and I stand by what I wrote in each of them. On occasion I have executed my Forum admin responsibilities in the way I responded to you - I am sorry if you felt this was "abuse" or that I was trying to "bait" you in some way.

With respect to my previous post which has prompted your reply above, let me remind you of the Forum Rules, here
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=26124
and, specifically, this one
The forum administrators exercise a 'zero tolerance' policy towards the use of 'bad language' or any abbreviated version of bad language and posts that contain such words or abbreviations will be deleted.
In fact, I let your post stand with a warning, rather than deleting it, in the hope that someone might yet provide you with further advice (as Corey subsequently did).

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Wed May 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Gidget, I have not used any bad language and I find it offensive that you keep implying i have!
CoreyPlover wrote:Monsoon,

Lodge a support ticket if you want your speed issues looked into. But I think the best test you can try is to test the HSPA service at a different location to see if the congestion and speed issues are localised (like an overloaded mobile tower)
It seems to me that Exetel (or their network partner) are moving me to a 56 dial up speed plan when they decide to. I find at early hours of the morning when no one is using the net I can get normal speeds and from running the speed tests it confirms this. But if I run the tests at this time of the day ( after 5pm to midnight) I get speeds so slow that the Internet is nearly unusable. I never realized that the HSPA plan included been moved to 56kbs dial up speed when the network was busy?

I also can't log a ticket as I wrote in an earlier thread as my account is came with no support as I never purchased a modem so I don't have a login ID for a support ticket. as I have mentioned previously, I could not phone anyone as I could not get through. I could probably try an email I guess ( which is not much help if my internet goes down completly), I will do that later if I can't get any help here.

Here is a test now I have ran as I wrote this message:

http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... ts/7824691
Broadband Speed Test Results
Test run on 06/05/2009 @ 07:16 PM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 400.45 secs

Your line speed is 61 kbps (0.06 Mbps).
Your download speed is 8 KB/s (0.01 MB/s).
Edit: ok I have written a support email to Resolution at Exetel, first try it never got sent as the net was too slow but it has been sent now, well see what they have to say about this situation!