Wagga Evening Speeds

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
fetzervalve

Wagga Evening Speeds

Post by fetzervalve » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:24 am

Just wondering if anyone else in the Wagga area has just started suffering from the same problems I now have.

Been using Exetel HSPA since the start of the year and have had no problems until the start of this month - specifically between the hours of 7pm and 10 pm.

I am about 15 kms outside Wagga and have been used to regualr speeds of 50+ kbps but since March 1 the speed between 7 & 10 in the evenings has become abysmal - 2kbps with the occassional spike over 5kpbs - most of the time web pages time out with no speed whatsoever. The funny thing is that its like someone flicks a switch - almost bang on 7pm the handbrake is put on and again at 10pm the speed magically jumps back to normal levels!

I realise that this time of the evening is peak user levels and all that, but I find it strange that it suddenly started happening and to such a drastic effect.

Pretty sure it isnt a pc hardware problem as it is exactly the same if I use my notebook.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Re: Wagga Evening Speeds

Post by shermanf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:36 am

Can you please advise what signal you are receiving by checking the lights on the modem also try moving the modem around or using the USB cable to try and get a better reception

fetzervalve

Post by fetzervalve » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:22 pm

Using a Huawei E169 - green light when there's traffic and blue light when there is zero.

I have done plenty of moving around with the modem with both the usb cable and in each room of the house, even restarting the connection in each room, with my notebook to no avail I'm afraid.

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Post by shermanf » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 am

If you are receiving a green light on the modem that means you are connecting via GPRS, check to see if the location you are try to connect from is in the 3g coverage zone http://www2.optus.com.au/

If you are able to get WCDMA or HSPA connectivity then force the network type to WCDMA only, and network band to "GSM 900/1800 WCDMA 2100" and this can be located by opening the wireless broadband application and selecting >Tools >Options

Green - GPRS
Blue - WCDMA
Cyan - HSPA

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:04 pm

shermanf, the Optus map site http://www2.optus.com.au/ uses frames and javascript in an unrecommended manner that won't work on many browsers. The Exetel coverage map at http://www.exetel.com.au/files/hspa_maps.pdf is universally readable.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:17 pm

fetzervalve wrote: Been using Exetel HSPA since the start of the year and have had no problems until the start of this month - specifically between the hours of 7pm and 10 pm.
That's when the speed dies for me also, during those times, and constant dropouts.

Pete