Wireless drop out when on the phone

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
crjgatt

Wireless drop out when on the phone

Post by crjgatt » Sat May 23, 2009 10:57 am

I recently switched to an exetel naked adsl2 connection with voip. My modem is the Dynalink RTA1046VW.

When I use the phone, the wireless network drops out. The internet and network is still fine when using cat5 cables, but I lose wireless access and am unable to reconnect until I hang up the phone.

Any ideas?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Wireless drop out when on the phone

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 23, 2009 11:01 am

What sort of phone - corded. or cordless? What sort of calls - PSTN or VoIP? If it is a cordless handset, could you try it with an old simple corded one?

PS If it turns out to be radio interference from the phone, you can adjust the transmission channel etc in the router.

crjgatt

Post by crjgatt » Sat May 23, 2009 12:27 pm

Sorry. I should have mentioned that. It is a cordless phone, making voip calls.

I will test with a regular phone and check back in.

crjgatt

Post by crjgatt » Sat May 23, 2009 12:45 pm

Yep, ran the test and it is just with the cordless that I'm experiencing the problem.

So, what should I change in the router settings.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 23, 2009 1:52 pm

You could start with the user manual, ch 4 p 107. You can try changing modem channel, or even the transmission mode if your computer network card supports this. Try changing the phone channel as well. The two devices are in radio conflict, but you just might fix it.

Long term, if your phone is a 2.4 GHz model (it sounds like it is) you would be better off with a newer 1.8 GHz unit or even a 5.8 GHz. (I spotted a 2 handset 1.8 job in Aldi today for $69)

Edit: a quote from Wikipedia:
802.11b and 802.11g use the 2.4 GHz ISM band ....... Because of this choice of frequency band, 802.11b and g equipment may occasionally suffer interference from microwave ovens, cordless telephones and Bluetooth devices.

crjgatt

Post by crjgatt » Sat May 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks for the assistance. I think I've fixed it just by changing the wireless channel on the router. If I have more problems in the future I'll return to your advice.