Possible HSPA issue.

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
Munka

Possible HSPA issue.

Post by Munka » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:40 pm

Howdy
Just wondering if there are any reported DNS related issues on the HSPA service, I seem to be able to reach any Exetel site but no other, I have tried 2 windows pc's and ubuntu, also same symptom using my mobile phone. exetel sip will register but no other vsp.
After trying many different bookmarks etc., I can reach http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stati ... index.html but no other.
Munka

reallysuperman

Re: Possible HSPA issue.

Post by reallysuperman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:15 pm

I have been trying at the moment with no luck as well, I can get to all things Exetel just not outside of it.

NOTE - the HSPA works from my mobile (on my mobile)

reallysuperman

Post by reallysuperman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:20 pm

It would appear that n gateway is being set :(

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 115.70.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Munka

Post by Munka » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:30 pm

reallysuperman wrote:It would appear that n gateway is being set :(

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 115.70.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Well glad to hear that it is not just me, oh and sorry for your trouble :twisted:
Munka

Munka

Post by Munka » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:32 pm

reallysuperman wrote:
Just noticed this, affected my mobile browsing as well.

Edit: All fixed now :D
Munka

reallysuperman

Post by reallysuperman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Yep all fixed.

JOHNNY_JO_JINX

Post by JOHNNY_JO_JINX » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:53 pm

Munka wrote:
reallysuperman wrote:

I realize your posts are rather old now, but what was your fix? I have similar probs with a Nokia E66. Can browse anything from the phone, but when used as a modem, only limited sites can be accessed. (Occasionally there is no problem as any sites can be accessed.) Seems to be a DNS issue.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:33 am

JOHNNY_JO_JINX wrote:
Munka wrote:
reallysuperman wrote:

I realize your posts are rather old now, but what was your fix? I have similar probs with a Nokia E66. Can browse anything from the phone, but when used as a modem, only limited sites can be accessed. (Occasionally there is no problem as any sites can be accessed.) Seems to be a DNS issue.
not familiar with your model but does it allow you to manually input the DNS is the phone settings?

cubic

Post by cubic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 am

With the phone used as a modem, it'll be the connection software on the computer that needs a manual resolver (DNS server) setting. Look in the advanced options for whatever you're using to make the connection.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

JOHNNY_JO_JINX

Post by JOHNNY_JO_JINX » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks jokin & cubic for your replies.

When using the phone on its own, there is never a problem, regardless of time or location.

When I connect my laptop to the internet, using the phone as a modem, is when the problem arises. I suspect it may be location specific. Today I am trying it from home and have no trouble connecting to any websites. Yesterday I was at another location, and I could only connect to a couple of sites. This same scenario has been repeated before at other locations. Sometimes access will work for a few minutes, then stop for specific sites, while others are still OK.

There are no user configurable IP settings in the phone. The PC gets its IP config from the network, unless manually assigned on the network interface. (I have tried manually entering the Exetel DNS server addresses, even though they show up correctly when I do an ipconfig /all and it makes no difference- after a disconnect-reconnect). I don't believe it is a PC or OS issue.

I logged a ticket and the response was to try again, which I did. It is working at the moment, but the helpdesk contact says no changes have been made. I have no doubt the problem will arise again.
Last edited by JOHNNY_JO_JINX on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubic

Post by cubic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:29 pm

JOHNNY_JO_JINX wrote:The PC gets its IP config from the network. I don't believe it is a PC or OS issue.
It's a known intermittent problem (at least using linux systems, but I doubt it's specific to any particular OS) that the PC fails to get DNS information from the network. For a reliable connection you should specify the exetel nameserver IPs in your PC connection setup.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

JOHNNY_JO_JINX

Post by JOHNNY_JO_JINX » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:30 pm

cubic wrote:For a reliable connection you should specify the exetel nameserver IPs in your PC connection setup.
Yes, but even when the problem is existent, the correct namserver IP's show up in the ip config, so I would expect that manually entering them would make no difference.

cubic

Post by cubic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:06 pm

That does seem logical, but my understanding of Windows networking is far too limited to tell for sure if it's right, or if there are other factors that may come into play (DNS caching in the browser perhaps?). But where there's a well-known problem and an equally well-known workaround that you haven't tested, the advice will always be: try this first and come back if it doesn't solve your problem.