Connection Terminated by Remote Site

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
Bozwell

Connection Terminated by Remote Site

Post by Bozwell » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:05 pm

I have been having difficulty with connecting by wireless recently.
The connection disconnects after exactly 31 seconds.
The message given is "Connection terminated by remote site", please try again.
I have tried repeatedly up to 20 or so times, to no avail.
I have a Macintosh powerbook, and am using an E169 modem.

This problem and dropouts have been occuring for the last week.

Bozwell

Bozwell

Re: Connection Terminated by Remote Site

Post by Bozwell » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:04 am

Re my previous post, I tried to ping simply to http://www.google.com.au,and it seemed to work.

However it was sending an unlimited number of pings and I dont know what packet size.

I found the PING box in UTILITIES/ Network.
Would somebody familiar with Mac 10.4 please give me instructions how to set a minimum packet size.
When I tried to add anything to the address http://www.google.com.au, it would not send.

Thanks in advance

Bozwell

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:06 pm

Bozwell wrote:Would somebody familiar with Mac 10.4 please give me instructions how to set a minimum packet size.
http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... ing.8.html seems to have the answer. By using a Terminal Window, you should be able to issue the command "PING -i 10 -s 1 www.google.com.au" to send a 1 byte (padded with an extra 8 header bytes) ping every 10 seconds

However, the default ping seems to be only 56 bytes (64 after padding) which is already quite small.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:29 pm

Unix style systems (ie, Linux and OSX) usually send 64 bytes as default. A standard ICMP packet can be only 28 bytes, including the header. The data section after four 16 bit words is mostly filler, and can be as long as you like, as long as it gets past the MTU size. BTW I have no trouble pinging Google with a 64 bit packet.

Bozwell

Post by Bozwell » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks for your replies Corey and Dazzled.
I can ping google with the default setting and use 64 bytes.

Let me get this clear, does this mean that requesting
an unlimited number of pings at the default setting that I would
not use up an unduly large amount of data and cost?

Cheers,

Bozwell

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Bozwell wrote:Let me get this clear, does this mean that requesting
an unlimited number of pings at the default setting that I would
not use up an unduly large amount of data and cost?
By my calculations, 64 byte pings x 1 ping/second = 166MB / month = $2.50 in cost assuming 100% utilisation and no additional overheads. Given that the percentage of time you use the connection will be well short of 24 hours/day I'd say even after overheads you are looking at no more than 50c in extra costs/month.

You can get a better feeling for it by connecting, running the ping for an hour, or even overnight without using the connection for browsing and then check the HSPA usage meter. By my calcs running such a ping overnight should incur about 2-3MB of data.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:41 pm

The ping command for a MAC server is shown in detail here ; probably the same for a MAC desktop.

ping interval=7s size=2 exetel.com.au

possum42

Post by possum42 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Bozwell wrote: The message given is "Connection terminated by remote site", please try again.
Bozwell
I am having the same problem. Modem connects and then drops the connection a few seconds later. Started about a week ago. MacBook Pro Mac OS X 10.5.7.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Possum42, the solution described above is to keep the transmitter thinking you are active by regularly pinging a location, and hopefully it won't drop you when it is busy. See Corey's post for the Mac method. Terminal required.

markinthedark

Post by markinthedark » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:28 am

I see this thread has gone the route of how to configure PING to keep a connection alive.

What's the long-term solution? This hack doesn't seem something your average user should have to challenge.

I'm visiting family in Clayton, Melbourne this weekend and just tried using my E169 (MacBook 10.5.7) to connect and get the same problem - connects, authenticates okay and then about 30sec later "Connection Terminated by Remote Site".

I tried the "PING -i 10 -s 1 exetel.com.au" in terminal on and YES it's keeping the connection alive and I can use internet.

Thanks for the quick-fix - but is there to a proper fix? Or, is this just a sign that the Optus tower I connect to is full and users get bumped off for any idleness of > 30sec?

--Mark

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:41 pm

markinthedark wrote:Thanks for the quick-fix - but is there to a proper fix? Or, is this just a sign that the Optus tower I connect to is full and users get bumped off for any idleness of > 30sec?
I don't know whether this problem is tower based, or modem based, but it definitely isn't widespread (I've used my HSPA device for hours, idle, without disconnection). Perhaps you can try to see if you similarly get disconnected within 30 seconds when you are at a different location & tower, or if you know anyone else with a HSPA modem to try at your location

forthman

Post by forthman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:31 am

This is the exact same problem that i m experiencing right now.

Keep on disconnecting after 31 secs on my apple but when i use the internet via my windows (via fusion / bootcamp) there is no problems....is there some problems now with exetel and apple osx???

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:47 pm

forthman wrote:is there some problems now with exetel and apple osx???
More like some problem with the OS X drivers for the modem; doesn't properly handle the drop from HSPA to WCDMA/GPRS when the connection goes idle for 30 seconds

forthman

Post by forthman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:13 pm

Well that doesnt make any sense because the modem and osx worked perfectly up at Albury (NSW) and now that i m back in Melbourne it no longer works...

even when i m trying to load a page within the first 30 secs with safari running a page the line still gets disconnected... even when internet is not idle...

and i cant find any more recent drivers than the ones form 2008 for the e169.... is there some other place for these drivers other than huawei site?

Bozwell

Post by Bozwell » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Hello all, seems like a common problem with Mac OS X,
I am no closer to a solution, I cannot log on at all this afternoon.
Currently using another service.

Hauwei website useless, Exetel support the same, a week now and no real
solution.
Pings only appeared to work.

A Very Disappointed Boz.