Connection Terminated by Remote Site

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
Bozwell

Re: Connection Terminated by Remote Site

Post by Bozwell » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:16 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
forthman wrote:is there some problems now with exetel and apple osx???
More like some problem with the OS X drivers for the modem; doesn't properly handle the drop from HSPA to WCDMA/GPRS when the connection goes idle for 30 seconds
Corey, if that is the case would it not be a simple solution,for Exetel to provide
updated drivers?. I cannot get one off the Hauwei website.

Boz

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:38 pm

I think you will find that OS X is like Linux - it doesn't use add-on drivers in the Microsoft sense at all, but rather the low level modem software is already present in the OS. You can configure the Mac without loading from the usb modem, and Linux users have no other choice.

A quick Google will find several zipped up bits of software purporting to be superior to Huawei's. Binary data files are present.

This disconnect problem has been discussed in the forum before, such as this thread - http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=30745

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:22 pm

forthman wrote:Well that doesnt make any sense because the modem and osx worked perfectly up at Albury (NSW) and now that i m back in Melbourne it no longer works...
Then it suggests the Melbourne tower is doing something differently to the Albury tower and your OS X modem drivers are not reacting as expected.
Bozwell wrote:Exetel support the same, a week now and no real solution...Corey, if that is the case would it not be a simple solution,for Exetel to provide
updated drivers?
Define "simple"? Because unless you are fluent in Mac drivers, the Optus communication tower(s) in question and the Huawei device I struggle to see how it would even be possible to identify the cause of this issue. I guess Exetel can escalate it up to Huawei, or Optus, but otherwise it would seem beyond their expertise.

http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/ ... -1&id=4381 has some old firmware versions. You could try loading them to see if they fix the issue.

Bozwell

Post by Bozwell » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:14 pm

"Please note that the supplier has identified Bundoora West 3G for an upgrade, however a date is unavailable at this time and there is no current ETA."

For the edification of all on this thread, the above quote was from an email to me today from Exetel Residetal Support following a ticket raised last Tueday
Aug 4th.

I infer then it is not my modem, or firmware that is at fault, but the "supplier", Optus.
Therefore I can do no more than run a continual "PING" to keep online.
Pity help me if I go offline, as I will never know when I will get back on.

Probably my own stupid fault for going entirely wireless.
BTW forget about "3" as their service, from my experience is just as bad
or worse, with speeds little better than dial-up.

Boz (No happier)

Bozwell

Post by Bozwell » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:13 pm

Able to log on without difficulty today---so far.

Boz (slightly happier)