Multiple Annoyances and problems with Exetel HSPA

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
burgerman

Multiple Annoyances and problems with Exetel HSPA

Post by burgerman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:12 pm

My sister decided to join exetel HSPA network buy buying a USB stick (its a HUAWEI E1762) and sim card from exetel. It came in the post today and here's the range of issues I am hgaving trying to set it up.

1.) poor instructions.

My sister only got 1 email to confirm the application was being processed. Then she got one SMS on her phone to say it had been dispacthed. We've still got both of them.

None of them include a username or password, nor do either have anything about "how to activate".

2.) SP code?
nothing about 'SP codes' was included in the application, the confirmation email, or the SMS. I had to google it to find this magic word "BROADBAND" to put in. is that even it?!?! stupid.

3.) installation goes fine then....
  • The SIM/USIM has not been detected or is Invalid
    You cant connect before register and available network
Take you pick on the above. Random and persistant. Stupid sim is in the right way too.

3.) Extremely poor phone support.

Going around in circles pressing buttons and being confused. My sister was not impressed. I would have expected 2 things - that you could log a fault, and that your call wouldn't be returned.. so yeah I was surprised she couldn't work out how to log a fault. Its not much help for her seeming she doesn't know what her username or password is.

I know exetel has poor phone support... but get your act together on the text instructions..

oh I've tried it in 5 computers (i'm a computer tech so i have lots of them) - windows 7, XP home, xp pro sp2, Vista, Vista basic. And we are on the optus network for mobile phones and no problem there with signal strength

One simple phone call to some kind of tech support could fix this problem but because exetels phone support is so bare i expect no returned calls or an extremely long delay (as in "a coula days" mate) in returning the call.

So whats the deal. I'm waiting... but not on the phone thank god.

PS the usb stick flashes on an off with a green light randomly if thats any help

burgerman

Re: Multiple Annoyances and problems with Exetel HSPA

Post by burgerman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:28 pm

we are done with it.

delete the post

we are after a refund instead. <sarcasm> I bet we have to take legal action to recover the wasted $200 </sarcasm>

we are going to join up with "dodo wireless" :roll:

btw - I do not get annoyed this much that often. Dont bother trying to flame me in any attempt to bruise my ego or my skill in setting the connection up... You would just be wasting your time as I will not be returning.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:13 pm

you post 7pm at night and within two hours or so you're done with it and want to take legal action, just a bit unreasonable wouldn't you think?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:32 pm

You can log on the the Exetel member facilities using the default settings of:
Username: 10 digit mobile phone number
Password: 10 digit mobile phone number followed by first 2 letter of your street name in capitals

You can then activate the SIM card in the member facilities. After than, you simply need the SP code BROADBAND (like you found) or even better is just to set the APN to exetel1. After that, it should just work. (It did for me, flawlessly I might add, and has also worked flawlessly to the colleagues I have lent it to the previous few weeks)

Other wireless broadband providers use the Huawei E169 modem, so if you do choose to chuck a hissy-fit, the $200 is not wasted. Frustration never helps anybody, least of all you. I am very confident that if you choose to seek the help of these forums, you can have your wireless connection operational by tomorrow. Your call...