HSPA drop-outs/stalling, disconnections and slow speeds

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
SilverOrchid

HSPA drop-outs/stalling, disconnections and slow speeds

Post by SilverOrchid » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, so please be kind :)

I am not a computer geek (I don't even know what a "ping" is!) so if you are lovely enough to provide answers/suggestions, please use layman's terms of with clear step by step instructions. I've read through the forums and tried some of the 'fixes' as well as the fixes suggested by helpdesk, and nothing seems to work.

Nature of the problem:

1. For the past 2 months or so, there has been an increasing number of disconnections on my HSPA wireless internet (sometimes up to 40 in a day).

2. In addition to the disconnections, there are 'droputs' every few minutes, where despite the fact that my connection is active (with 2-5 bars), there is no data transfer and tabs state "connection to the server was re-set" as well as another message stating something like 'can't communicate with server'. Sometimes refreshing works, but most of the time I have to disconnect and reconnect again.

3. There has been a decrease in speed - though this may be related to the drop-outs/stalling. Even with 3 or 4 bars, I'll often be loading some tabs and in the BB software stats, it indicates that the download speed is zero or around 2.5kbps. It used to get up to over 100kbps, with an average 30-40kbps.

These issues are not only frustrating (as I'm sure others have experienced), but also cause major problems for me (eg. when completing an online quiz for university and I lose all of the work I have done due to a disconnection or drop out.) :cry:

Details of my hardware and reception:
Acer Aspire laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo processor) - The laptop is always used in the same location
Browser: latest version of Firefox
Modem: Huawei E169 USB (purchased from Exetel) - the modem is attached to laptop via USB cord and I move it around to get the best reception. It is usually attached to my venetian blinds pointing out the window and upwards. This gets me the best signal.
Signal strength: It used to be 3-5 bars almost all the time. With these recent problems, it is constantly switching between 0-4 bars (average 2-3).
LED colour: Switching from dark blue to cyan. During drop outs I have seen it flash dark blue (though the BB software states that there is still a good signal).

The fixes I have tried based on forums and helpdesk:

1. In the Exetel BB software > Tools > Options > Network > Network Type ('I've tried WCDMA only', 'WCDMA preferred' and 'all') - each of these I've tried in combination with 'all bands' or 'GSM900/GSM1800/WCDMA2100'.

2. In the Exetel BB software > Tools > Options > Profile Management > Advanced > Selected 'static' DNS servers and entered primary DNS 220.233.0.3 and secondary DNS 220.233.0.4.

3. On my computer's internet connection settings I selected Exetel and adjusted TCP/IP settings to choose only the DNS servers listed above (instead of choosing DNS automatically.

4. I tried disconnecting the modem from the laptop, removing the SIM, reinserting and reconnecting.

5. I tried using the connection on my Toshiba laptop instead - the same problems occured.

None of these have worked. Some seem to have made things worse (but now I'm not sure which ones!) :(

I have read another 'fix' on the forums, regarding maintaining a 'constant ping' or something along those lines, as this is apparently meant to keep the connection alive and prevent drop-outs. I have no idea how to actually set this up, so I'd be grateful for any instructions from the more knowledgeable out there.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated :)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: HSPA drop-outs/stalling, disconnections and slow speeds

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:25 am

For the "constant ping" workaround. After connecting your wireless connection (or before if you like, doesn't matter too much), open up a Command Prompt window (Start, type "Command Prompt" into the Program run bar). In this black window, type the following command, then press Enter:

Code: Select all

PING -t -l 1 www.google.com.au
You will see a "Reply" response every second or so. What is happening is that your computer will send a small, non-malicious packet of data to a server (in this case Google) every second. Hopefully this tricks the mobile tower in your area into thinking that you are constantly using your connection so that it doesn't try to switch band, and hopefully doesn't stall. Let this command prompt window run in the background while you are browsing and see if your experience improves.

You can press Ctrl+C in the Command Prompt window when you wish to stop the pings and then type "exit" to close the window.

SilverOrchid

Post by SilverOrchid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Thank you Corey, I am trying this now and hopefully it will help! :)

brumer

Post by brumer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:12 am

I recently encountered a very similar problem on another person's computer.
After exhaustive testing of nearly every damn thing I could think of I was at a loss to understand the problem.
In my case it did NOT happen on another computer.
I eventually discovered that Outlook Express was set to send/receive every 2 minutes & to DISCONNECT after send/receive!!!
No more dropouts now!

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:54 pm

brumer wrote:I recently encountered a very similar problem on another person's computer.
After exhaustive testing of nearly every damn thing I could think of I was at a loss to understand the problem.
In my case it did NOT happen on another computer.
I eventually discovered that Outlook Express was set to send/receive every 2 minutes & to DISCONNECT after send/receive!!!
No more dropouts now!
I'm sure he's not the first and I'd bet he won't be the last person to get caught out by something so simple, thanks for posting back with the details though :)