HSPA Connects but no internet

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
cpfred

HSPA Connects but no internet

Post by cpfred » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:15 am

Since Friday night Exetel Wireless has been connecting with no problems, but you cannot browse any pages.
Pinging http://www.google.com, http://www.microsoft.com or http://www.exetel.com.au all time out with no name resolution.

When looking at my usage on exetel's member page, I can see many connections, all listed all with 0 bytes of data up or down.

I know of two users with the same problem that started at the same time. One tried to get onto exetel support unsuccessfully last night.
I have logged a ticket about this, the first response was to change connection settings which hasn't made any difference. (Still connections, no net)
Currently waiting on another response.

This same problem occued here a few weeks back. Over the weekend you could connect, but couldn't browse any web pages. By monday it seemed to have sorted itself out.
But this time the net has been down since the weekend and is just a little more frustrating.

Looking at these forums I'm guessing this problem is not very wide spread. I also know an Optus wireless broadband user who is still connecting without trouble. (So it doesn't look like Optus)

Is anyone else experencing problems like this? Or have they in the past? Just wondering if there is a simple fix for something like this or do we have to wait until the problem is indentified.

vk3xem

Re: HSPA Connects but no internet

Post by vk3xem » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

I had this problem several weeks ago when I tried to connect via my mobile phone using Nokia PC Suite. I could not work out what was going on.

I then managed to get Joikuspot working again and did not have a problem.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Need2No

Post by Need2No » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:18 pm

cpfred wrote: Is anyone else experencing problems like this? Or have they in the past? Just wondering if there is a simple fix for something like this or do we have to wait until the problem is indentified.
With my E169 modem, I found that it was better to set the DNS servers manually rather then allow the modem to auto detect the settings.

Regards

cpfred

Post by cpfred » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:25 pm

I haven't tried this...

but checking the assigned DNS settings does show the correct IP's. (might still try this next, just in case :) )

cubic

Post by cubic » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Need2No wrote:With my E169 modem, I found that it was better to set the DNS servers manually rather then allow the modem to auto detect the settings.
+1
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

cpfred

Post by cpfred » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32 am

I've tried the suggestions above and on the other thread about this with no success.
Has anyone from exetel had a look at this problem yet? I haven't seen a reply or comment on the forums at this point and my open ticket hasn't had a reply since the 11/10/09.

I would just like idea that this is being looked at and we havn't been missed!

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Can you please advise your ticket / service number by PM?

tex666

Post by tex666 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:44 pm

It seems that I am having the same problem of being able to connect but not being able to access the internet. This started on the 9/10.

I rang technical support on the 15/10 and was told that there was a fault and that most of the numbers had been fixed except for a few (mine being one of them.. of course!)

I was told that the fault would be fixed later that day or the next. It wasn't.

I just tried ringing support again (now the 19/10) and had to wait about 30 mins. When it was getting close to my turn in the queue it jumped immediatley to a message service. Fantastic!!

I'm currently on another lengthy phone wait in case I get lucky but I'm not holding my breath.

The service has been out for about 10 days and not only has it not been fixed but no email has be sent to me notifying me that there even is a problem. If my number is know to be at fault and I was told it was known, then the least exetel should have done is try and contact me in some way, esecially given the length of time this fault has been going on.

Anyway, I need something done about the problem soon as this is getting ridiculous. I also hope that there is going to be some compensation for the lost time on my prepaid account.

P.S. just got through to service technician after another 20mins. He went to check something and about 5mins later got back to me. He was just about to suggest something when.... the call was cut off :shock:

It was hard to know if I should laugh or cry :?:

Rod A

Post by Rod A » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:58 pm

cpfred wrote: Is anyone else experencing problems like this? Or have they in the past? Just wondering if there is a simple fix for something like this or do we have to wait until the problem is indentified.
I am having the same problem. The problem started yesterday for me but before this I haven't tried to log on since last Thursday when the wireless was working. I have logged a ticket so we wait and see.

pooch2

Post by pooch2 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Mine is stuffed for a week now too.

Ulladulla area.

What is the manual DNS to try?

cubic

Post by cubic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:23 pm

pooch2 wrote:What is the manual DNS to try?
220.233.0.4 and 220.233.0.3
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

cpfred

Post by cpfred » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:04 pm

cubic wrote:
pooch2 wrote:What is the manual DNS to try?
220.233.0.4 and 220.233.0.3
Entering the DNS manually makes no difference.

My ticket with exetel has shown fault with supplier a couple of times but then just changes to resolved. The tech responding to the ticket always writes that I will be contacted but that hasn't happened yet.

Really hoping someone at Exetel is looking into this? (I do understand this may be a problem with the supply, but it's been over a week now and there doesn't appear to have been any progression at all to a solution)

pooch2

Post by pooch2 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 pm

North of Ulladulla has been working since yesterday.

Even got 315 speed!!!!

Maybe they have it fixed at my tower?

cpfred

Post by cpfred » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:37 pm

pooch2 wrote:North of Ulladulla has been working since yesterday.

Even got 315 speed!!!!

Maybe they have it fixed at my tower?
I am happy for you! :)

My ticket is still open with exetel support and they say that it is under investigation with the supplier. (It's been like that for a week or more now)
Here's hoping mine is sorted soon too!