Cannot access a wifi network

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
weestumpy

Cannot access a wifi network

Post by weestumpy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:47 pm

My friend is trying to connect their laptop onto my wireless network. Their laptop detects the network but when trying to connect to the network it is asking for a wep key (password). I cannot find my record of what the WEP key is! How can I get my friend logged on? Their laptop connects OK when on the wired connection to this network (ie directly connected into the router). Help!!

JamesR

Re: Cannot access a wifi network

Post by JamesR » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:50 pm

weestumpy wrote:My friend is trying to connect their laptop onto my wireless network. Their laptop detects the network but when trying to connect to the network it is asking for a wep key (password). I cannot find my record of what the WEP key is! How can I get my friend logged on? Their laptop connects OK when on the wired connection to this network (ie directly connected into the router). Help!!
Hi weestumpy,

Your WEP key is your wireless access key, or password to access your wireless network. This is configured in your modem/router's settings.

If you are able to login there, you should be able to find it somewhere under "Wireless Security". If you need assistance, feel free to post your modem/router(s) brand and model number and I can point you in the right direction.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

weestumpy

Post by weestumpy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Router is a NetCommNB6W ADSL 2+ modem Router

I have looked under Wireless security and trhe wep key is encryped (********). The tick box to display the code does not dispay the code.

This laptop is using the same wireless network

Mike Agent N040

Post by Mike Agent N040 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:01 pm

In the worst case, use the Wireless Key View utility at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html to copy it from your computer. Note that the result this program gives is not always the plain text version of whatever you set the key to; but that doesn't matter.
Exetel Agent N040
http://auzzie.net/cccweb

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:04 pm

weestumpy wrote:Router is a NetCommNB6W ADSL 2+ modem Router

I have looked under Wireless security and trhe wep key is encryped (********). The tick box to display the code does not dispay the code.

This laptop is using the same wireless network
That would be the right location to look. If the Wireless Key View utility as Mike has mentioned above does not help, and those are the only two devices connected to your wireless network, perhaps you may consider changing it and then updating your laptop with the new key, while also connecting the new device.

Here is the Wireless Setup Guide for the NB9W if required: http://www.netcomm.com.au/__data/assets ... y-NB6W.doc
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005