How can you auto reconnect to internet on reboot

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
murdo

How can you auto reconnect to internet on reboot

Post by murdo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:00 am

Background to my enquiry is that I need to have 24/7 access to a remote PC via Logmein over an exetel wireless broadband connection.

I have not had the Exetel service long enough to determine if it will hold a connection long term but as a back up position I thought I could set up an automatic pc shutdown/reboot option at set intervals each day using windows task scheduler. My aim is to have the wireless broadband reconnect at each reboot. I have setup the wireless broadband connection screen to automatically run at PC startup. How do I then get the system to automatically connect to the internet i.e. I need to automate the mouse click on the "connect" button of the wireless broadband start up screen.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: How can you auto reconnect to internet on reboot

Post by Dazzled » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:22 am

I'd do this with a Linux box, where remote management and self-starting sessions are built-in, without needing any extra software, so I am quite useless for Logmein. But there is a gotcha you should keep in mind - when towers are very busy, Optus seems to close down unused HSPA connections, so many users have found that a periodic very small background task keeps the connection up without any manual intervention. The usual solution is a repeating ping onto either Google or Exetel. There are a couple of past threads that discuss this.

murdo

Post by murdo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:23 pm

The usual solution is a repeating ping onto either Google or Exetel.
Thanks for the tip Dazzled. But if there is anyone who can answer the original query I would much appreciate it.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:41 pm

I don't think you can script the broadband connection software. But you can make a BAT file that runs the RASDIAL command to connect the wireless modem directly. The Exetel HSPA connection is just like a dial-up modem connection with phone number *99#. Some more technical details can be found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... S.10).aspx
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

murdo

Post by murdo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:29 pm

But you can make a BAT file that runs the RASDIAL command to connect the wireless modem directly.
Thanks Corey. Works perfectly. All I did was create a BAT file that I called wireless.bat with the script in the BAT file - "rasdial exetel" (without the quotes) - where "exetel" refers to the name of the dial-up connection in "network Connections".