Remote Access through E169/Netgear MBR624GU

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
tbm1

Remote Access through E169/Netgear MBR624GU

Post by tbm1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 am

Hi Everyone,

My very first post put together from sheer fustration so if anyone can help that would be awesome. I will try and explain my findings as best as possible so that it may aid in some assistance and give everyone an understanding of what I am trying to do.

My objective:
To connect from work to my router/private network at home via my Exetel Static IP address.

I currently have the E169 USB modem connected to the Netgear MBR624GU router. The local network runs fine and I can access the internet from my connected PCs. I have setup remote management and the required Port Forwarding within the router. NOW....it is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that the WCDMA and HSPDA networks are simply data networks with the main differenec being the type of connection speed that can be achieved between the two. What I didn't realise is that the E169 modem idles on the WCDMA network until a LAN device starts to retrieve internet data and it is only at the point that the modem switches to the HSPDA network (this just allows other users to share the wireless bandwidth). So the E169 has a constant blue LED (WCDMA connection) and when downloading data it changes to the cyan colour(HSPDA connection) but if web surfing stops or a page fully loads without anymore activity, then the modem returns to the WCDMA network.
What I have discovered is that even with an Exetel static IP, I can not get into the router remotley whilst the modem is currently idling on the WCDMA network. What I did find was that if I proceed to open a web page (which causes the modem to switch to HSPDA) it is at this point that I have a small window of oppotunity where I can successfully connect remotely to my private network ONLY whilst the modem is connected to the HSPDA service!
My modem is currently locked onto the WCDMA only network and I can not change it to WCDMA preferred on anything like that.

I just want to know whether I am flogging a dead horse or if with some help I can actually connect to my home with the hardware I have and through the WCDMA connection?
Is the Exetel Static IP provided actually a PUBLIC IP where it can be pinged over the internet or is it not a visible address?

I really need some help with this and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Travis

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Remote Access through E169/Netgear MBR624GU

Post by Dazzled » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:53 am

The Exetel IP can be seen from outside - just set nmap onto it remotely if you like.

I've noticed the same behaviour from the Huawei modem when connected to Linux laptops. The sleazy brute force solution is to keep it open by constant background pinging. Unfortunately Huawei seems to discourage all attempts by programmers to control the modem, although much headway has been made by open source developers - it does respond to many AT commands for example. and it is simple to read the usb port and decode the output. Some Linux distros have this problem listed in bug reports, and unofficial kernel patches have been made. I am not aware of an official fix. It may be this way to minimise congestion at the towers.

tbm1

Post by tbm1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi Dazzled,

Not sure how to set the nmap as I have never done it before? What is the process?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 pm

Nmap is a tool for exploring networks, http://nmap.org/, although it is rather rude to point it at other people's IP addresses. There are GUI versions, eg Zenmap. Even on Windows as installed, you can ping a responding gateway with an Exetel address, but the Huawei isn't always nice.

tbm1

Post by tbm1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

No worries. I am thinking I might try the constant ping a 1.0 second intervals. This should only be around 83 meg a month in usage anyways if running non stop.

But can anyone expain why remote access doesn't work when the modem is currently on WCDMA????????? It is just a data transmission protocol like HSPDA ins't it?

cubic

Post by cubic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:14 pm

I normally work the other way (connecting from the remote 3G system to my ADSL at home) but just for interest, I tried it the other way around. Result: no problem with ping or ssh login via a UMTS-only phone (my E169 isn't available right now). (To clarify: ADSL -> My HSPA IP address -> Nokia N80 using UMTS -> bluetooth -> Netbook.) I think that proves it's not a network block - most likely firmware in the E169 I guess. I'd try with the E169 connected direct to a computer, just to rule out the router, and then maybe see if there are firmware updates available...?
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Cubic, Coming in uninvited from outside to a dongle in a computer seems to be a Huawei limitation. (Unless of course, someone has found a way)

tbm1

Post by tbm1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for you assistance. I downloaded a freeware ping program and set it up to constantly ping every 0.6 seconds with a packet size of 32 bytes. Any packet size less and I couldn't get the modem to switch over to the HSPDA service. As soon as I ran the program, the modem switched over and has remained on the HSPDA service so far. I can connect to all my various devices on the private LAN now from a remote computer now. I just don't like the idea of relying on a PC to keep the connection open. It would be good if the router internally could run a constant ping command.

But it works...for now.

Thanks again.

cubic

Post by cubic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:26 pm

Dazzled, I agree there are known issues here but IDK that it's so clear cut - it could still be firmware or even driver (linux kernel) related. I just thought of a much better example: I have remote access to my sister's PC, running Ubuntu 9.04 with an E169 with Exetel. Remote ssh login hasn't ever been a problem, and while it's possible that she just happens to be downloading on HSPA every time I try to connect, it doesn't seem likely considering her low monthly usage. Oddly enough I've had more issues connecting to the netbook over my local wifi - there the connection does seem to go to sleep when left unused and becomes inaccessible.

Connecting to my sister's PC again now, I notice that on ping the first packet is often lost and the second always slow - the lost packet might be related to the problem here while the slow second is consistent with the switch from UMTS to HSPA. Thoughts?

Code: Select all

$ ping 115.x.x.x
PING 115.x.x.x (115.x.x.x) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 115.x.x.x: icmp_seq=1 ttl=62 time=1451 ms
64 bytes from 115.x.x.x: icmp_seq=2 ttl=62 time=565 ms
64 bytes from 115.x.x.x: icmp_seq=3 ttl=62 time=456 ms
64 bytes from 115.x.x.x: icmp_seq=4 ttl=62 time=428 ms
64 bytes from 115.x.x.x: icmp_seq=5 ttl=62 time=468 ms
^C
--- 115.x.x.x ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 5 received, 16% packet loss, time 5006ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 428.025/673.981/1451.433/391.489 ms, pipe 2
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks for that cubic. Lost packets might be the problem I had connecting to my daughter's Huawei/Ubuntu. I'll have a good look.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Heh :) The Huaweis, or the router - not sure which - always drop the first ping. I think that's part of why getting VoIP to work on them has been such a pain - although the 7404VGPX solved that one.

You could try Hamachi for the VPN - I have not had any problems getting it to work on HSPA connections for offsite backups, etc.

Offsite monitoring with The Dude http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php works, but only because it retries the ping after a few seconds. My older network monitoring software couldn't cope with the drop first ping behaviour.