Continuous Crashing

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
alasdair4445

Continuous Crashing

Post by alasdair4445 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:51 pm

I have E160E USB modem and Wireless Broadband , software ver. 11.002.03.28.74
Continually getting Windows error "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close" etc. etc. Standard windows crash. It can happen anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour after bootup. Changing to another USB port made a small improvement in frequency of fault. Pinging Google doesn't help. The light on the modem stays blue but can't reconnect. Says modem is in use. (It's done it twice while I was trying to write this). If I try to disconnect I get "Error 1722 : The RPC server is unavailable" . If I close Wireless Broadband down and try to start it again I get "Error 633 : The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured correctly". Thing is useless at the moment and I need it for online uni tutorials. Can anyone help ?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Continuous Crashing

Post by Dazzled » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:29 pm

There are several ways to crash Windows with this message - what is the detailed error message, in particular what part of Windows crashes (eg svchost.exe, etc)? Microsoft has several suggestions, depending on what has failed.
If you can't get a quick fix for your assignment, put a reliable Linux distro live onto a usb stick and boot that into RAM. Puppy works on anything, but depending on your hardware there may be better solutions. There is nothing simpler with Exetel hspa than Ubuntu - it just works, and comes with Open Office.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:27 pm

What OS version are you running?

alasdair4445

Post by alasdair4445 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:35 am

It's svchost.exe that crashes and OS is WindowsXP SP2 (would SP3 help?). I don't have the full error message (it hasn't crashed this morning yet). I don't know anything about Ubuntu except what it is. Could a mug like me get it working, say, from a USB stick and can I run my windows programs (or some) with it ? Although I have some ability, I'm no expert.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:49 am

There are several svchost.exe faults around, including a virus, and bad HP printer/scanner drivers. For XP SP2 Microsoft has a help sheet involving email at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=894391#top. Error 1722 as often as not is caused by a firewall. Error 633 means that the modem is in use by other software, or that you have a bad ini file. Unless one of our Windows gurus comes along and spots an exact single cause, this could mean a methodical clean up and test process. If it is resulting from a known bug, SP3 might help you.

Re the second question, Ubuntu is another operating system, that would either permanently or temporarily replace Windows, and is more secure and reliable. It doesn't need add-on malware protection. It can read and write data files on your Windows file system, but cannot use any Windows applications. It comes with its own equivalents if you need to fix a doc file for example. Because it is a full size compressed OS, meant to run on a hard drive, it runs very slowly from a CD drive, but it can get users out of a hole. To get it complete onto a USB stick (much quicker) needs the compressed 700 MB iso file to be written to the stick with Unetbootin (a free Windows program). Puppy Linux is a another different OS that comes with its own applications, and is designed to be super-small to run on anything, at the expense of a lot of outward gloss - with apps it is only 100 MB all up and uncompressed, and can fit into your PC's RAM for blinding speed. It doesn't by default have a full Office app on board. Again, worth having when you are in trouble, and it's free too. In between these is Slax- you can custom-make it for the software you need, in a usb-ready version.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 am

I used to have the same issue on one laptop. It hasn't fixed itself but it happens a lot less frequently now (and doesn't happen at all on a different laptop). Never figured out what the issue was, but I found if you just ignore the dialog box your internet remains connected and working. So perhaps just drag the modal dialog box down off the bottom of the screen and left it there so it doesn't get in the way.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

alasdair4445

Post by alasdair4445 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 am

I've applied the patch mentioned by Dazzled and the fault is somewhat less frequent, but still exists. It says it's connected after the fault but doesn't communicate with the outside world. I'll apply SP3 and see what happens.
I looked at Ubuntu but will leave that for now.
Thanks for your help everybody.