ADSL Modem with 3G fallback settings (Draytek 2820)

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
ASKCON

ADSL Modem with 3G fallback settings (Draytek 2820)

Post by ASKCON » Wed May 19, 2010 12:05 pm

We have a Draytek Vigor 2820 ADSL Router/Modem which has 3G support via USB. We have an HSPA account with Exetel (Optus sim) and the intention is to use 3G as fallback in-case of ADSL fail.

The modem is a Huawei 1762. The modem works fine in a laptop using the supplied software in the same location as the router. I assume this eliminates signal issues.

We are aware that it is not on the Draytek Supported modem list however forums suggest success with the combination of Draytek 2820 and Huawei 1762.

No luck with the 3G modem stuck in the router USB.

I've tried the setting in the information sheets supplied by Exetel with the modem
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (94.87 KiB) Viewed 7206 times
I get the response in the Status window on the modem: [ Starting PPP ] then after around 30 seconds: [ PPPoE : No response from server side. ]

Draytek Firmware:
Firmware Version : 3.3.3
Build Date/Time : Oct 23 2009 15:15:25
ADSL Firmware Version : 211011_A Hardware: Annex A

Am I missing something from the settings ?? Ideas ? Help?

zaxapod

Re: ADSL Modem with 3G fallback settings (Draytek 2820)

Post by zaxapod » Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 pm

Try just inputting exetel1 into the APN name field and delete the entry in the modem initial string field.

But if E1762 is not supported it may not work. Do draytek have a newer firmware you could download?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed May 19, 2010 12:28 pm

I don't think that being a 1762 is important. My Linux laptop machine swaps one of these and an E169 without noticing. The Draytek probably uses wvdial too.

ASKCON

Post by ASKCON » Wed May 19, 2010 12:42 pm

zaxapod wrote:Try just inputting exetel1 into the APN name field and delete the entry in the modem initial string field.

But if E1762 is not supported it may not work. Do draytek have a newer firmware you could download?

Thanks.
Yep tried that. Same result. Type in "exetel1" to the APN and it auto-generates the modem string.

Firmware is the latest.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed May 19, 2010 1:01 pm

ASKCON wrote:
zaxapod wrote:Try just inputting exetel1 into the APN name field and delete the entry in the modem initial string field.

Thanks.
Yep tried that. Same result. Type in "exetel1" to the APN and it auto-generates the modem string.

Firmware is the latest.
do you have access to borrow a modem that is on the supported list to test? Although there may be reports of this model modem working it's quite possible the modem you have is a different revision to those that have had success, I've been involved with this type of hardware previously and driver support is not straightforward

I strongly suspect your problems will be sorted if you are using a supported modem or once Draytek release updated firmware to support your model USB modem at least

ASKCON

Post by ASKCON » Wed May 19, 2010 1:41 pm

I have two staff members bringing in their 3G modems next week to test other modems and I will report findings if a solution is not found in the interim.

Thanks.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed May 19, 2010 2:04 pm

This site has a fix - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 70290.html

I've realised that some Linuxes are confused by the fake CD these things present as - it is rectified in the recent distros my machines run - (the command is AT^U2DIAG=0) - and the Draytek (a Linux box) .rst version update referred to may reflect this.

Kitemick

Post by Kitemick » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:03 am

Hi,

Update: I've spent another 2 hours on this.

1. I have reset the Modem (AT^U2DIAG=0) to be a modem only. - Still no good;
2. Have tried a "3" Huawei 160G and receive the same message "no response from server side";
3. I noticed the USB light on the front of the Draytek remains flashing all the time with both modems; I think it should be steady.
4. Next step is setup a syslog pc and see what is going on.
5. After that I'm going to try the *.rst firmware. I'm apprehensive to do this as there is a ton of remote access connections to set up afterwards.

I've heard mention of new firmware 3.3.4 RC7 but cannot find it.

Kitemick