Connection Terminated error message - E160E modem & Vista

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)
GregGordon

Connection Terminated error message - E160E modem & Vista

Post by GregGordon » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:59 pm

PROBLEM: When the "Connect" button is clicked at start up, in the "Wireless Broadband" window, the modem fails to connect and gives a message: "Connection Terminated".

I have been tearing my hair out trying to get my Vista PC connected to wireless broadband with an E160E modem. It worked fine on my old PC with Windows XP. But on my Vista machine it failed to connect. The signal was received with good strength, I set the APN, correctly, etc, but no connection. I finally found the solution on a UK website, so am posting it here for anyone else who has this problem. This worked like a dream for me: I deleted the ‘Rasphone’ file as directed below and it connected with no trouble. (Why don't the Exetel support staff know simple stuff like this? It seems to be a known issue.)

WEBSITE: http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/Troubl ... cting.html

SOLUTION (quoted from website):
Huawei Mobile Partner displays the error "Connection Terminated" when connecting
Wednesday, 04 November 2009 17:14 U-D Admin Unlocking FAQs

1. Disconnect the dongle from your computer.
2. Next click Start > Run
3. For Windows XP copy and paste C:\Documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\network\connections\pbk Or
4. For Windows Vista copy and paste C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk
5. Click OK
6. In the window that opens delete ‘Rasphone’
7. Restart your computer
8. Once the computer has restarted reconnect your dongle and try connecting.

If the above procedure doesn’t resolve the error then try the following

1. Click Start > Run
2. Type services.msc
3. In the window that opens find the service ‘Remote Access Connection Manager’ right click and select Properties.
4. Under the ‘General’ tab select ‘Manual’ as the startup type
5. Click ‘Start’ (this option will be greyed out if its already started)
6. Click OK
7. Try connecting

Note: If the ‘Remote Access Connection Manager’ service will not start, make sure the three services below have been started. If any are stopped, right click the service and select All Tasks then click Start

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Plug and Play
Telephony

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Connection Terminated error message - E160E modem & Vista

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:02 pm

GregGordon wrote:Why don't the Exetel support staff know simple stuff like this? It seems to be a known issue.
First time I've heard of these symptoms and fix. Windows tends to generate a lot of very specific behaviour and fixes, many of which cannot be easily replicated on other machines so I would not deem this to be "simple stuff" but it is great to know what the solution is if the issue crops up for other users. Thanks for taking the time to post the resolution.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

GregGordon

Re: Connection Terminated error message - E160E modem & Vista

Post by GregGordon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks CoreyPlover
Maybe I shouldn't be so cranky at Exetel. I was just getting very frustrated by the time I sorted it out.