Huawei E160E on Mac Mini Snow Loepard Server

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)

Huawei E160E on Mac Mini Snow Loepard Server

Postby mranderson808 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:08 am

Setting up a Mac Mini Server running Mac OS X Server & Parallels 6 with a Windows XP Pro (SP3) virtual machine.

I plug the Huawei E160E modem in (with Exetel service), Mac detects it, loads & installs the program (exactly the same process for the same model modem with a different carrier). Open the newly installed app, navigate to options menu to create a new 'Exetel' profile, but it will not allow me to save it. The Wireless BB profile remains as default & is un-editable.

If I connect the modem to the Windows VM, it installs & runs correctly. I know it is possible to somehow configure the host (OS X) to share the VM internet connection, but I need it to be the other way around.

In addition, I used a Huawei E160E with a different carrier whilst setting up the machine, it worked flawlessly.

I have scoured forums & Google search results, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
mranderson808

Re: Huawei E160E on Mac Mini Snow Loepard Server

Postby LarryK on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Interesting.

Can you just edit the default profile (Wireless BB) and save that?
LarryK

Postby CoreyPlover on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:01 pm

Might you be missing a piece of info on the new Exetel connection that the Mac software thinks is essentially and so prevents you from saving? Not that I can think of what you are missing; it should be as simple as APN = exetel1 (possibly "dial-up number" = *99#) and you are done.

On a different occasion, someone found the configuration file of the installed Huawei software in Windows and directly edited it in a text editor. This was able to successfully overwrite the Optus default with an Exetel default profile, so perhaps you can search for the Mac equivalent
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby mranderson808 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks Larry & Corey for your suggestions.

Larry - as I mentioned in original post, the existing profiles in MobilePartner are not able to be edited. A new profile can be created, but clicking the save button does nothing, nor does confirming save when closing edit window.

Corey - details added to the new profile window are; Profile name: Exetel, APN: static, exetel1, CHAP. Username & password fields left blank. I was also unable to find any files that may have contained profile details. I opened every file I could find in text edit.

I have tried installing driver off a different, newer e160e & manually configuring the device in Network settings. I am now trying to track down the newest version of MobilePartner.
mranderson808

Return to Wireless broadband