How To Improve Mobile Broadband Sales?

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)

How To Improve Mobile Broadband Sales?

Postby ForumAdmin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:26 am

We have never managed to sell more than 1,000 new wireless services in any month and over the past few months new net adds have dropped to the lowest levels ever. Although we offer some of the lowest price per GB plans available from any carrier or carrier re-seller and, any time a side by test is run, offer faster and more reliable speeds than any other carrier or carrier re-seller we just can't seem to make any progress.

We have allocated three days next week to see what can be done to make this really exceptional service more attractive to more new customers, and our current customers, and need to come up with one or more really 'new' and obviously beneficial 'features' of a wireless service. Strangely, the 'new' resold Optus Layer 3 services, which have lower prices (dollars per GByte) don't sell as well as our 'old' premium plans which have substantially higher prices per GByte. That is very much a mystery to us although the partial explanation is that those plans are bought by commercial organisations who, presumably, can tell the difference between the speeds Exetel deliver over our Layer 2 service and also like the other service features of static IPs and a comprehensive user back end control suite.

Looking at those features, and the customers who buy them, yesterday afternoon and again earlier this morning in preparation for the meetings next week I was wondering how similar approaches could be used for residential customers. Does a fixed IP have any appeal to a residential customer? It is obvious why a fixed IP appeals to a commercial customer but what relevance does it have to a residential user? Does the 'average' residential buyer even understand what advantages a fixed IP provides?...almost certainly not. Is it possible to point out what advantages a fixed IP may have to a residential user? Perhpas a discussion will reveal some advantages of which I am unaware?

Perhaps Exetel's ability to 'bundle' wireless services together with 'joint' usage of data and voice mbs and voice minutes could be used in a 'family' environment where the usage provisions on separate plans could be aggregated? Most business users, that we have, seem to prefer the concept of buying a 'bucket' of data GBs and voice minutes and make them available to all their users thus avoiding the waste that is the basis for all mobile broadband and telephone plan pricing where the carriers base their pricing knowing that their average user will use less than 50% of the 'headline' minute and data allowances? Business users are increasingly taking this approach and more recently schools who supply laptops or iPads to their students are increasingly doing the same. It seems logical that this might appeal to 'families' where 'Dad' ponies up the money for mum and the kid's mobiles.

Along the same lines, perhaps the back end control panel that is an essential element for a business user would appeal to parents? Using these facilities the family 'boss' can see exactly what usage his family members are up to day by day and can also see what that usage is in terms of web sites visited. It would allow the minute by minute checking to ensure the allowances aren't going too fast and would avoid 'bill shock' by enabling the suspension of any family members service if they were using too much.

Perhaps none of those ideas will appeal to anyone but Exetel has to 'think outside the nine dots' and use our unique abilities, Layer 2, highly skilled programmers, ability to innovate very rapidly) to make our services more attractive to more prospective customers than we been able to do to date. If anyone has any ideas they would be very much appreciated.
ForumAdmin

Re: How To Improve Mobile Broadband Sales?

Postby dbr on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 pm

I am not sure if I can offer any suggestions on how to improve sales, certainly, it's not my area. However, I can explain why a recent decision we made at work ended up being not Exetel and perhaps that may assist the deliberations.

I have used Exetel at home for a number of years now (just on 3 I think) and am thoroughly satisfied with my residential service. I run all communication for our household through the one account (ADSL2, VOIP, 4 x mobile CAP). My primary focus is the lowest possible price for a stable excellent service. Exetel fits this bill exactly. My main consideration is cost. I limit usage and monitor the kids plans minutely to ensure they remain within their Caps.

At work we have been having problems with our office-in-a-box (Siemens W35) at one of our client sites (Melb CBD). It is with Telstra (as are the entire company's comms). However in that specific location (probably due to office blocks shielding line of site to the Telstra tower) we have terrible connection. Our VPN is flakey and prone to drop outs when on that connection. At home or other stable connection VPN is rock solid.

A number of us have personal mobiles with other providers that when tethered provide a better connection. So the boss tasked me to look into options for our connection. (being one of the loudest agitators 'how can you expect us to be productive when your can't provide us decent tools with which to work'). I put my Exetel Optus CAP SIM in the W35 for a test. 5 bars. Solid connection. VPN stable. We were even able to run a rich client version of one package - unheard of on the Telstra connection.

That little test showed (kind of - don't ask me for the statistical validity!) that it was a Telstra issue not Hardware. Being very happy with my Exetel service I was more than prepared to recommend Exetel to work. That box uses about 5GB a month and with a stable connection would probably use a little more. So I put together a spreadsheet (attached) of the business plans available with SIM only data, month to month contract and was very surprised to see that Exetel was not competitive.

Exetel wins hands down at the lower usage but at that mid range was more expensive. So we ended up ordering an Optus Bus BYO plan for $45 (http://www.optusbusiness.com.au/mobile- ... adband_byo).

My plan was to prove the connectivity was better and then recommend that we also replace all our individual dongles for our roaming consultants - about 10 (who would individually be in the 500MB - 2GB) range. So without the initial proof of concept I will be hard pressed putting the business case forward to replace the other dongles (initial outlay vs TCO).

So for our business need, Exetel lost, not on quality of service or feature, but on price for the given usage.
Attachments
SIM Data analysis.jpg
SIM Data analysis.jpg (85.8 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety
dbr

Postby oldman on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:02 pm

"'joint' usage of data and voice mbs and voice minutes could be used in a 'family' environment where the usage provisions on separate plans could be aggregated? "

If that is implemented well then it would be a good drawcard I would think.
oldman

Postby Ravenous on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:59 am

Perhaps the recent email offer strategy for VoIP could be used for Mobile Broadband?

"Sign up for a 6/12 month agreement on any mobile broadband plan and get cheaper hardware, better rates or increased downloads"

Also, being able to change across standard mobile broadband plans whilst on contract would be an encouragement, even for a modest fee. I recommended a standard plan to a friend not realising that you are locked in to the quota you had originally ordered for at least 12 months, which was disappointing to discover. There is also the usage meter not reporting, which is being investigated by help-desk as we speak that will hopefully be sorted in due course. I am unwilling to recommend the standard service to other friends/colleagues because of these issues. More than willing to recommend the premium service though, which operates perfectly for my purposes.
Ravenous

Postby oldman on Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:13 pm

oldman wrote:"'joint' usage of data and voice mbs and voice minutes could be used in a 'family' environment where the usage provisions on separate plans could be aggregated? "

If that is implemented well then it would be a good drawcard I would think.

As an example... our family of 5 mobile users could ideally be combined on a single CAP75 plan. Unfortunately I had to port 2 family members away from Exetel (old Vodafone plans) in the last couple of days as they got the 'your usage is too low' email. Another 1 or 2 may have to go as well.
oldman

Postby ExetelVoice on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:12 pm

As an example... our family of 5 mobile users could ideally be combined on a single CAP75 plan. ......

Unfortunately the constraints of our wholesale plans preclude this.
ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Postby oldman on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:19 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:
As an example... our family of 5 mobile users could ideally be combined on a single CAP75 plan. ......

Sadly, I'm not surprised. The wholesalers would seem to be profit-focused, not particularly customer-focused. If only they realised that the latter would benefit the former.
oldman

Postby thejeg on Thu May 05, 2011 9:07 am

oldman wrote:
ExetelVoice wrote:

Sadly, I'm not surprised. The wholesalers would seem to be profit-focused, not particularly customer-focused. If only they realised that the latter would benefit the former.

But......... You might see different plans that suits you in the time to come as the plans are changing swiftly....
thejeg

Return to Wireless broadband