TP-Link MA260 3G USB modem crash

HSPA setup and configuration (for wireless networking, please use the 'Networking issue' forum)

TP-Link MA260 3G USB modem crash

Postby AdamCP on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi folks,

Long shot question, but you never know :)

Just added a 3G connection to my account, and it came with a TP-Link MA260 USB modem. The connection manager software bundled on the modem installs and runs fine, right up until the modem has finished initializing and finds the network, at which time it immediately crashes. Here's some info:

This happens on two different computers, one running Win7, the other Win8.1.
The software crashes only when the modem finds the network and displays 'YES OPTUS' in the status window, and not when there's no signal or during initialization.
If I quickly hit the connect button before it finds the network, it will connect as it crashes, and remain connected until the crash dialogs are closed. The connection works well during this period.
There are a number of log files, but I have no idea what to look for in them.
I've tried the sim in an older, slower HUAWEI E160E modem, and it works fine.

Is there perhaps some generic connection manager software that works with a variety of modems I could try?

Cheers for any help!

Adam.
AdamCP

Re: TP-Link MA260 3G USB modem crash

Postby stevecJ on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:14 pm

AdamCP wrote:Hi folks,

Long shot question, but you never know :)

Just added a 3G connection to my account, and it came with a TP-Link MA260 USB modem. The connection manager software bundled on the modem installs and runs fine, right up until the modem has finished initializing and finds the network, at which time it immediately crashes. Here's some info:

This happens on two different computers, one running Win7, the other Win8.1.
The software crashes only when the modem finds the network and displays 'YES OPTUS' in the status window, and not when there's no signal or during initialization.
If I quickly hit the connect button before it finds the network, it will connect as it crashes, and remain connected until the crash dialogs are closed. The connection works well during this period.
There are a number of log files, but I have no idea what to look for in them.
I've tried the sim in an older, slower HUAWEI E160E modem, and it works fine.

Is there perhaps some generic connection manager software that works with a variety of modems I could try?

Cheers for any help!

Adam.

Hi Adam,

As discussed, you may contact TP-Link technical support if you are experiencing any issues with the USB modem. :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================
stevecJ
Forum Admin

Postby Craigie on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi Adam

I have the same issue, on both Windows XP and Windows 7. Check the ErrorReport.txt file in the 3G Utility logs folder. For me, when the 3G utility closes it logs the following error;

Error: DMSGetMsisdnReq failed with error 'Not Provisioned'.

I have tested the MA260 modem with a different SIM card and it works fine.
Craigie

Postby CLoSeR on Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Same problem here, brand new Exetel Mobile Broadband service using provided TP-Link MA260 USB Modem.

Software installs ok, but crashes when attempting to run.

Really really really not a great way to start this service. Exetel you need to provide support if this is a widespread issue rather than pointing customers to TP-Link. You are selling hardware with software that doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/
CLoSeR

Postby Dazzled on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:19 pm

Is this actually a Windows install problem? Does the device function properly on Apple or LInux? Has anyone set up or retrieved info from AT commands?

It needs to be looked at when the device is supplied with the service.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby CLoSeR on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:19 pm

Dazzled,

The device isn't supported under OSX, I've now had the same issue on two different PC's both running Windows 7.

I am disgusted that Exetel are selling these hardware when it the software clearly doesn't work.

I thought perhaps TP-Link provide an updated release of their 3G Utility but no there are no downloads... only a PDF manual.
CLoSeR

Postby Dazzled on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:53 pm

It might be a software modeswitch problem. This Linux site http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... f=3&t=1525 has some people working with the trouble, and at least they are able to get some diagnostics. I did notice the web is alive with users having the device not work.

PS In the above link Dairyman on Whirlpool noted the modeswitch - it stays looking like a CD=ROM.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby CLoSeR on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 am

At this stage I will be returning the modem to Exetel for a refund, thinking I'll purchase a prepaid Optus 3G modem which I know would have been tested and will work.

Once I use the prepaid data I'll either recharge with Optus and cancel Exetel service or attempt to access the Exetel service using Optus modem.
CLoSeR

Postby James on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 am

Someone will be contacting you about getting the Exetel supplied modem to work as it should.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby CLoSeR on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi James,

TP-Link support were not helpful, I'd be interested to know what advice Exetel has?

It seems to be an application or driver issue and since the software is included with the modem and there are no software updates or firmware releases available i'm not sure what else can be done.
CLoSeR

Postby shoner on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:03 pm

CLoSeR wrote:Hi James,

TP-Link support were not helpful, I'd be interested to know what advice Exetel has?

It seems to be an application or driver issue and since the software is included with the modem and there are no software updates or firmware releases available i'm not sure what else can be done.

Can you please Pm me your service number :?:
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
shoner
Forum Admin

Postby thejeg on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 pm

We are in contact with TP-Link to find out a solution for this.

I will update the tread as soon as we hear anything back from them.
thejeg

Postby thejeg on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:03 pm

thejeg wrote:

I will update the tread as soon as we hear anything back from them.

I have just received an update from TP-Link and according to them;

They could not replicate the issue what you are explaining here.

But they suggested that you uninstall the MA260 driver and utility, restart the pc, then manually install the driver again.

Also, if you have any other dialer program installed on your PC, please uninstall them and test only with MA260 driver and utility.

If the problem continues, You may contact us directly and quote this forum post and send the TP-Link Modem back to us for we will organize a replacement.

Meantime TP-LInk will try an obtain a new firmware that will work on situations like this.

I hope this helps.
thejeg

Postby CLoSeR on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:59 pm

This is a problem affecting a number of customers, in this thread alone there are three of us reporting the same issue.

I've already tried re installing and I have no desire to spend any more time troubleshooting for TP-Link. I've been working in IT for many years and I just shudder to think how any non technical person handles this problem, Exetel should really be thoroughly testing hardware internally before promoting it for use with your service.

I want to send the modem back for a refund.
CLoSeR

Postby James on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:57 am

Chris, do you have any other mobile broadband software on your computer/laptop? Have you tried this on another computer.
James
Exetel Staff

Next

Return to Wireless broadband