VOIP Configuration Screen Guide?

VOIP setup and troubleshooting

VOIP Configuration Screen Guide?

Postby dmw69r on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Is there a guide or FAQ anywhere for how to set this screen up?

I'm not sure what to select for "Voip Access From" - is this telling the system what geographical areas I will accept incoming calls from?

And underneath Voicemail, does "Divert after [xx] seconds" really mean 'Divert to voicemail' or 'Divert to the call forward number entered down lower?' after [xx] seconds?
Attachments
exetel voip config.JPG
exetel voip config.JPG (31.95 KiB) Viewed 159 times
dmw69r

Re: VOIP Configuration Screen Guide?

Postby Dazzled on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:27 pm

Divert to voicemail means that.

The VoIP access boxes relate to the fact that VoIP services are portable. For example I sometimes use the service from abroad, set up on a laptop or tablet. This means that anyone who has managed to steal your credentials can put a substantial bill onto your account, usually from an IP address from an another country. The restrictions are to hinder this fraud. If you do travel, you can relax the restriction while you are away. Incoming calls are not affected.

It's also a good reason to restrict external access in your router.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP Configuration Screen Guide?

Postby dmw69r on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:33 pm

OK thanks for that Dazzled. The simple clarification you gave me should surely be found somewhere on Exetel's site, whether as note on the page itself, or a FAQ page, whatever, to save people having to ask and other people having to answer!
dmw69r

Return to VOIP