Exetel to Extel VoIP - advertised as free: not free.

VOIP setup and troubleshooting

Exetel to Extel VoIP - advertised as free: not free.

Postby eighth on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:59 pm

A bug in Exetel's accounting software is causing problems with the way VoIP calls are billed.

For reference: https://www.exetel.com.au/files/terms/E ... Charge.pdf
To my knowledge, this has been Exetel policy for years. The current version of the document is dated 12/07/2017.

1. Both my parents and I have held Exetel accounts for more than a decade. I switched over my ADSL account to FTTN NBN a few weeks ago, my parents to a HFC NBN account last week-ish.
2. Both accounts have been set up to use the standard pay-as-you-go VoIP account which comes with Exetel NBN.
3. Calls to my parents new VoIP service are showing up in my portal (and my invoice) as Regional calls which attract a $0.10 charge, rather than VoIP calls which are free (as is the case when calling Exetel support phone numbers).
4. A total of close to two hours has been spent on the phone to Exetel Sales to sort out this error. They do not know how to fix the problem. In discussions with a rep today, I learned that my parents' dial-in number still registers as a disconnected Optus ADSL service. This is an obvious red flag that should be escalated to someone who can fix it.
5. The Sales rep keeps repeating that pay-as-you-go VoIP plans do not qualify for free Exetel-to-Exetel VoIP. This is patently false, proven so by the VoIP sales brochure linked to above. Exefone has always been advertised as free VoIP-to-VoIP, and to have this questioned is infuriating.

I cannot find another way of escalating this to someone who can help. Sales should not be responsible for sorting out programming errors in Exetel's accounting database. Please fix it. I and my parents' accounts will not be the only ones affected by it.

Thanks.
eighth

Re: Exetel to Extel VoIP - advertised as free: not free.

Postby Mandy on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:28 pm

eighth wrote:A bug in Exetel's accounting software is causing problems with the way VoIP calls are billed.

For reference: https://www.exetel.com.au/files/terms/E ... Charge.pdf
To my knowledge, this has been Exetel policy for years. The current version of the document is dated 12/07/2017.

1. Both my parents and I have held Exetel accounts for more than a decade. I switched over my ADSL account to FTTN NBN a few weeks ago, my parents to a HFC NBN account last week-ish.
2. Both accounts have been set up to use the standard pay-as-you-go VoIP account which comes with Exetel NBN.
3. Calls to my parents new VoIP service are showing up in my portal (and my invoice) as Regional calls which attract a $0.10 charge, rather than VoIP calls which are free (as is the case when calling Exetel support phone numbers).
4. A total of close to two hours has been spent on the phone to Exetel Sales to sort out this error. They do not know how to fix the problem. In discussions with a rep today, I learned that my parents' dial-in number still registers as a disconnected Optus ADSL service. This is an obvious red flag that should be escalated to someone who can fix it.
5. The Sales rep keeps repeating that pay-as-you-go VoIP plans do not qualify for free Exetel-to-Exetel VoIP. This is patently false, proven so by the VoIP sales brochure linked to above. Exefone has always been advertised as free VoIP-to-VoIP, and to have this questioned is infuriating.

I cannot find another way of escalating this to someone who can help. Sales should not be responsible for sorting out programming errors in Exetel's accounting database. Please fix it. I and my parents' accounts will not be the only ones affected by it.

Thanks.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, this has been escalated so that it could be fixed as soon as possible.

In the meantime we do apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
Mandy
Exetel Staff

Re: Exetel to Exetel VoIP - advertised as free: not free.

Postby eighth on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:13 pm

An update, two weeks later:

1. The call to Sales a couple of weeks ago resulted in a refund of $2.05 on phone charges. I mean, yeah, that's appreciated, but it's not why I rang, because I'm still being billed for Exetel to Exetel VoIP calls. I'd be very happy if you kept the $1.05 that came from chargeable calls and fixed the system.
2. The Sales rep promised to ring back with a solution. Never did.
3. Two hours of explaining the situation has resulted in nothing. It's a simple request: Exetel advertises free VoIP calls to other customers. Other VoIP providers have offered this for many years. It should be easy to fix, no?

Here is my current VoIP usage:

voip1.png
My current VoIP usage charges
voip1.png (34.88 KiB) Viewed 365 times

All of these calls are to my parents' Exetel VoIP number, and should show up as "Australia - Exetel VoIP" with a $0.00 item charge, just like the call to Exetel itself.

Here is my parents' VoIP usage, with calls to me highlighted:

voip2.png
My parents' current VoIP usage charges
voip2.png (42.93 KiB) Viewed 365 times

Again, these should not be showing up as "Long Distance - NSW (regional)". These are VoIP calls. The Dial-In numbers are handled entirely by Exetel's telephony hardware and no longer touch a telephone exchange.

This is not an important complaint, I know. I could just as easily switch both VoIP accounts back to Mynetfone, a service that provided free SIP calls to us for close to ten years. But, on the off chance that this is just something that has slipped through the cracks which a competent person could fix with a couple of keyboard strokes, I'll keep trying to get it fixed.
eighth

Re: Exetel to Exetel VoIP - advertised as free: not free.

Postby KavindaS on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:38 pm

eighth wrote:An update, two weeks later:

1. The call to Sales a couple of weeks ago resulted in a refund of $2.05 on phone charges. I mean, yeah, that's appreciated, but it's not why I rang, because I'm still being billed for Exetel to Exetel VoIP calls. I'd be very happy if you kept the $1.05 that came from chargeable calls and fixed the system.
3. Two hours of explaining the situation has resulted in nothing. It's a simple request: Exetel advertises free VoIP calls to other customers. Other VoIP providers have offered this for many years. It should be easy to fix, no?

I have shared this and we will get back to you accordingly.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby nicoler on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:57 am

eighth wrote:An update, two weeks later:

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused to you with regards to this. This has been escalated to the relevant team and currently working on this. We will keep you updated once this is completed.
nicoler
Exetel Staff

Postby eighth on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Update: a couple of weeks later ...

On 11 September 2017 I received this email from a customer account representative:

Thank you for your email.

Kindly be advise that our Sales Team have confirmed VOIP - VOIP issue have now been resolved and will be monitored from our end therefore whatever the incorrect charge that have been listed will be adjusted for you once the invoice is issued on 14th September 2017.

Hope this clarifies your query.

Yay, thinks I. A personal reply telling me my issue has been resolved and is being monitored is very promising. So I wait a couple of days and then check my VoIP account. Hmm. Still being billed $0.10 for Exetel-to-Exetel SIP calls. A check of my parents' account details shows they're still being charged for calls to me, too. So lets wait until the end of the billing cycle to see if it's fixed then ... <waiting ...>

Email from Exetel on 18 September 2017:

This is to inform you that we have arranged a manual credit of $2.10 for the incorrect VOIP call charges that was invoiced under E0056XXXXXX and this will be adjusted in the bill due date.

So INCREDIBLY frustrating. Here's my call log from yesterday:

voip4.png
18 September Exetel-to-Exetel SIP call still being charged!
voip4.png (8.44 KiB) Viewed 222 times

GRRRR.

1. I have zero interest in ringing Sales every month to ask for a manual refund.
2. I am complaining here in the hope that YOU WILL FIX THE BILLING SYSTEM so that all Exetel customers can make free SIP calls to each other, as advertised.
3. This includes my parents, who have not received a refund on their calls to me.
4. Sales are treating me like a customer who is asking for a refund. SALES/BILLING ARE THE WRONG DEPARTMENTS TO BE DEALING WITH THIS. This is likely a technical error with how your system identifies SIP calls.
5. I can easily switch VoIP providers - Mynetfone offers similar pay-as-you-go call rates and their free SIP calls are actually free. I'm making noise here not to get my own money refunded but to see if the ISP I have been with since 2004 can fix a basic problem. Your system obviously CAN recognise Exetel-to-Exetel SIP calls, because calls to your help number are billed at $0.00.

Please just tell me if this problem will not be fixed and if I should give up. I AM NOT COMPLAINING JUST TO GET A REFUND. Please don't direct this complaint to Sales again.
eighth

Postby nicoler on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:05 pm

eighth wrote:
So INCREDIBLY frustrating. Here's my call log from yesterday:

voip4.png

GRRRR.

1. I have zero interest in ringing Sales every month to ask for a manual refund.
2. I am complaining here in the hope that YOU WILL FIX THE BILLING SYSTEM so that all Exetel customers can make free SIP calls to each other, as advertised.
3. This includes my parents, who have not received a refund on their calls to me.
4. Sales are treating me like a customer who is asking for a refund. SALES/BILLING ARE THE WRONG DEPARTMENTS TO BE DEALING WITH THIS. This is likely a technical error with how your system identifies SIP calls.
5. I can easily switch VoIP providers - Mynetfone offers similar pay-as-you-go call rates and their free SIP calls are actually free. I'm making noise here not to get my own money refunded but to see if the ISP I have been with since 2004 can fix a basic problem. Your system obviously CAN recognise Exetel-to-Exetel SIP calls, because calls to your help number are billed at $0.00.

Please just tell me if this problem will not be fixed and if I should give up. I AM NOT COMPLAINING JUST TO GET A REFUND. Please don't direct this complaint to Sales again.

HI

Thank you for bring this to our attention again. As you have said this is in fact a technical error and was previously confirmed as fixed by the relevant team. We apologize again for the inconvenience. This will be looked in to with priority in order to get it fixed ASAP.

Kind Regards
Nicole
nicoler
Exetel Staff

Postby James on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:31 am

This will be permanently fixed from the next bill run.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby eighth on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Final update:

The billing error seems to have been fixed, at least for my account.

voip6.png
Exetel-to-Exetel SIP call billing seems to have been fixed.
voip6.png (20.32 KiB) Viewed 157 times

Thank you to everyone here and via email who helped.
eighth

Postby nicoler on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 pm

eighth wrote:Final update:

The billing error seems to have been fixed, at least for my account.

voip6.png

Thank you to everyone here and via email who helped.

HI

Appreciate your patience with regards to this.We will also keep a track to make sure that you will not be charged incorrectly in the future. Necessary refunds will be arranged for the incorrect call charges.
We would also like to apologies for the inconvenience caused with regards to this.

Kind Regards

Nicole
nicoler
Exetel Staff

Return to VOIP