Draytek 2700VG and VOIP - cannot dial to PSTN numbers

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
stevebow

Post by stevebow » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:29 pm

Howard wrote:Can you try our 1300 number 1300 788 141 please?

This is a sip number if you are using exetel voip to call.
Yes, that number does in fact work.

So the problem appears to be in relation to numbers I dial which are routed to the Exetel VOIP PSTN gateway. I wonder why this is not working with the 2700VG.

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:34 pm

outbush wrote:
stevebow wrote: WRT "PSTN" are you referring to the "Loop through" setting on p.109 (PDF p.#), which can be either None/PSTN? Because AIUI when set to PSTN the 2700VG wil then dial the POTS line directly via the FXO port. What I wish to do is dial a POTS number via the VOIP PSTN gateway.
I dont think your Draytek 2700V has a Voip-->PSTN gateway.
The only device I know of that has a Voip-->PSTN gateway is the Linksys SPA 3102.
Sorry, what I meant was Exetel's VOIP gateway. The 2700VG has a FXO "lifeline" port, connected to the phoneline via an ADSL filter, which means the unit's ATA is bypassed when power fails or you opt to dial out via POTS.

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:43 pm

Ok, what I have done is open a VOIP account with FaktorTel, I'll see if there's any difference there which should isolate the problem further. They'll need to clear my CC details before I can dial out via their PSTN gateway, which I imagine will be tomorrow sometime. I'll report back the results.

outbush

Post by outbush » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:18 pm

stevebow wrote: Sorry, what I meant was Exetel's VOIP gateway. The 2700VG has a FXO "lifeline" port, connected to the phoneline via an ADSL filter, which means the unit's ATA is bypassed when power fails
To test your dial out via this FXO port turn off the power to your ATA and see if it dials via PSTN
stevebow wrote:or you opt to dial out via POTS.
You still need to set a dial plan for PSTN setup to opt to dial out on PSTN,
see page 110-111 of user manual.
stevebow wrote:So the problem appears to be in relation to numbers I dial which are routed to the Exetel VOIP PSTN gateway. I wonder why this is not working with the 2700VG.
You need to set dial plans to get voip to dial to a 'DID' (PSTN) number.

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:13 pm

The results with FaktorTel. Works just fine. I can dial any POTS number, rings through and we talk, no problems.

My VOIP related settings are exactly the same for both Exetel and FaktorTel, only the account details differ. That is to say, I copied my Exetel VOIP settings when I set up my 2700VG for FaktorTel.

One kind user offered me his Exetel DID number to try but that did not ring either, same "SIP/2.0 408 Request Timeout" response from the SIP server as well.

What does work with Exetel/2700VG is the 121 Voicemail service and the 1300 788 141 number.

What is not working is an Exetel 8205#### DID number and any POTS numbers I have tried.

There appears to be a compatability issue between the Draytek 2700VG and the Exetel SIP server, I think I'll need to raise a ticket for this one.

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:21 pm

outbush wrote:To test your dial out via this FXO port turn off the power to your ATA and see if it dials via PSTN
I don't wan't to dial out via the FXO port, I want to dial out via the Exetel VOIP PSTN gateway.
Not necessarily, you can force an FXO dial-out by pressing #0.
No, you don't, you just dial the number you want. No need to set up dial plans or anything similar. Don't worry about the manual, it's confusing at the best of times. Even Draytel Aus/UK websites have guides to "decipher" the explanations in their own user manuals.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:47 pm

stevebow wrote:
What is not working is an Exetel 8205#### DID number and any POTS numbers I have tried.
Does it make any difference when you dial the area code before the number?

outbush

Post by outbush » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:56 pm

stevebow wrote:
Not necessarily, you can force an FXO dial-out by pressing #0.
This is because your hardware has a preset dial plan for#0,
You can probably get the same result by hook/flashing.
stevebow wrote:No, you don't, you just dial the number you want. No need to set up dial plans or anything similar.
I disagree.

I would suggest some further reading on this matter.

Have a look at this thread, other users have problems too with MNF
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... m?t=727747

Also check out this post, another unhappy user
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... =639504#r6

Setup Demo
http://www.draytek.com/demo/Vigor2700/index.htm

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:33 am

VoIP Admin wrote:
stevebow wrote:What is not working is an Exetel 8205#### DID number and any POTS numbers I have tried.
Does it make any difference when you dial the area code before the number?
No, the area code makes no difference.

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:53 am

outbush wrote:This is because your hardware has a preset dial plan for#0
Whatever nomenclature you wish to use, there is not a dial plan for this listed. There are no dial plans listed at all by default.
You can probably get the same result by hook/flashing.
No.
No. Works just fine without any dial plan via FaktorTel, as I indicated yesterday. You simply just dial the number, as one would expect. No dial plans.
stevebow wrote:No, you don't, you just dial the number you want. No need to set up dial plans or anything similar.
I disagree.
Well, I guess you know it all then. I have already stated this is not the case. I suppose it was all in my imagination when I spoke to my wife yesterday via FaktorTel VOIP. No dial plans.
I would suggest some further reading on this matter.

Have a look at this thread, other users have problems too with MNF
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... m?t=727747

Also check out this post, another unhappy user
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... =639504#r6
These threads are quite old. I have not experienced the problems described, undoubtedly Draytek have resolved these issues meanwhile. The current firmware for the 2700VG is V2.7.3.1, build date 17/09/07.

outbush

Post by outbush » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:06 pm

stevebow wrote: Well, I guess you know it all then. I have already stated this is not the case. I suppose it was all in my imagination when I spoke to my wife yesterday via FaktorTel VOIP. No dial plans.
I dont claim to know it all.
You are the one requesting HELP, from your original post.
If you have the answers from Draytek and elsewhere why bother posting here?

stevebow

Draytek 2700VG and VOIP - cannot dial to PSTN nums [solved]

Post by stevebow » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:36 pm

Hi,

With the help of Draytek I have found the solution to this problem.

In the VOIP->SIP Accounts settings page there is a "Display Name" field, which the User Manual only describes as "The caller-ID that you want to be displayed on your friend's screen". However, there is more behind the scenes than that. The text entered in here affects the messaging to the SIP server.

For example, "John & Jill Smith" entered as the Display Name would appear in the From: field of the following registration dialog to the SIP server:

Code: Select all

-->Send Message to 58.96.1.2:5060 <11:47:42>
REGISTER sip:sip1.exetel.com.au SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 220.233.###.###:5060;branch=z9hG4bK-Ygn-20020;rport
From: John & Jill Smith <sip:09######@sip1.exetel.com.au>;tag=bhX-25417
To: <sip:09######@sip1.exetel.com.au>
Call-ID: isD-13469@220.233.###.###
CSeq: 100 REGISTER
Max-Forwards: 70
Expires: 240
User-Agent: DrayTek UA-1.2.3 Vigor2700 Series 2.7.3.1
Content-Length: 0
The problem all along has been the "&" character in the Display Name. If I delete this or change it to "and" so it no longer appears in the From: field I am able dial POTS numbers via the VOIP PSTN gateway without problem.

So there you have it. While the FaktorTel server is happy to accept "&" chars, Exetel's isn't. Go figure!

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:43 pm

Oh, one other thing. I contacted voip@exetel.com.au last Wednesday (1.12pm) to raise this issue and have not received any response. Is that normal? I had hoped for an acknowledgement within 48 hrs. at least.

I'll be happy to pass on what I've found, but I assume I will need a ticket number to respond with?

Howard

Post by Howard » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:46 pm

The ticket was opened using cc: field, which i through you were just want to copy to exetel as information, as a result, i didn't respond to your ticket.

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:27 am

The message was addressed to voip@exetel.com.au but CCed to Draytek Support to keep them in the loop as I had been discussing the issue with them already.

In any case, the source of the problem has been found (my post above). Thanks for the help. :)