Why do I need to dial area code 02 for local calls

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
mis42n

Why do I need to dial area code 02 for local calls

Post by mis42n » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:17 pm

I had Exetel VoIP at my previous residence, and I did not need to put an area code up front for local calls. I have moved and of course signed up for Exetel VoIP at my new residence.

I now have to put area code 02 up front of local calls. I am using the same equipment and am connecting to the same exchange. Why is this so?

I've contacted Exetel twice about this, both times the response has been 'use the area code'. That is not a solution, it's a workaround as far as I'm concerned. I didn't need to do it before, and as far as I know that number still doesn't need to do it (my daughter lives there now). So it should be possible, so what's the problem?

PS apart from this one annoyance I am totally satisfied with VoIP, it has worked flawlessly for several months.
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction" - Mark Twain

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:40 pm

I asked the same question & got the same answer.

If I dial Exetel's Sydney number I end up dialing a fax number in Melbourne, yet if I dial it from my work service I get through ok.

I think it's been defaulted to the 03 area code, instead of the 02 area code, may be there should be a setting in the user facilities, or have it set the the same area code as the ADSL service number

Ian

Howard

Post by Howard » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:43 pm

Send email to Exetel, they should able to localize your account.

Once your account is set to NSW, you dont need to dial area code.

mis42n

Post by mis42n » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:46 am

Howard wrote:Send email to Exetel, they should able to localize your account.
Twice I've emailed Exetel, twice I've had the "use the area code" response. That's why I've posted here. So who can change the default area code? is that something I can do or is it something only Exetel can do?

ymo

Post by ymo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:28 am

Can't you set a dial plan in your SIP ATA box so that numbers that start with 2..9 automatically get 02 pre-pended?

mis42n

Post by mis42n » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:30 pm

ymo wrote:Can't you set a dial plan in your SIP ATA box so that numbers that start with 2..9 automatically get 02 pre-pended?
I wish - I'm using a Netcomm NB9W all-in-1 (ADSL2+ modem / router / VoIP / wireless) and it has (as far as I can determine) almost no VoIP smarts. But for $185 (through Exetel) it's great value, haven't had a problem with it (once I sorted out a few teething problems). It's not the fastest in either the wireless or the broadband area but I'm not after ultimate performance.

IanS

Post by IanS » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:09 pm

Same here, using an NB9W.

I've just set a friend up on VOIP with an new NB9W (purchased from office works for $260). This has a later firmware version than my NB9W and has dial rules. Unfortunately it has to go back under warranty, so I didn't get a chance to have a play with it.

Ian