Can't call some local numbers

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Graham C

Can't call some local numbers

Post by Graham C » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:10 pm

For some reason I have been unable to call two numbers local to me over the weekend. I received a message saying the number was incorrect or unreachable or something like that.

It has just occured to me that perhaps I should have used the area code? If not, are there any other suggestions as to what my problem may be?

Edit: For the record these two times are the only time I have tried to call numbers local to me, all other calls have been to (what would be) STD or mobiles.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi Bundy

Do you have a VOIP service with a DID or without one?

On my service (with a DID) I don't have any problem with local calls ... except for one, where I get (I believe) the same message you got. I worked out the other day that if I put the "02" in front of the number it works fine. It's a mystery that when I find some time I'll check out with Exetel. I have read other posts on the Forum where this might occur more frequently with a DID-less service (hence my question to you) but I've got no idea really what causes it.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:03 pm

Hi Gidget,

As it happens my service is exlcusive of a DID.

I'll try to get myself into the habit of always using the area code and far more importantly inform my wife that she should do the same.

Dr_Snapid

Post by Dr_Snapid » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:05 am

The problem could be that your VOIP number is a melbourne based number, even though you may not be in VIC. This means if you dial a number in your state (even if its just across the road) you are technically dialling interstate (from melbourne) and must therefore use the area code. I have a client with exactly this problem. If he forgets the area code, he either gets a VIC based 'wrong number' or gets a non existent number. There must be some way to choose where your VOIP number is based, because mine works fine and is clearly NSW based. I have emailed exetel from my client's office but we did not get any reply.

Does this sound like it could be your problem?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:54 pm

Well rather than speculate I tested the theory and you are indeed correct!

Thank you, I shall contact VoIP support staff and ask they correct what must have been an oversight on my behalf.