VOIP reliability and quality

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
sable

VOIP reliability and quality

Post by sable » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Have Billion 7402VL with latest firmware v552h1 and DID.
In the last couple of days have had a few problems.
At all times 7402 is registered with Exetel's sip server.

Making a call results in no ring tones, just silence, only way I have found to fix is reboot router. This can be after a period of voip inactivity or immediately after making a successful call.

While on a call have been having frequent dropouts after varying lengths of time from initiating call. This has been an ongoing problem getting worse.

Have noticed variable quality especially to Australian landlines, sometimes so bad have to terminate the call, most common symptom is called party reports call breaking up badly. No problem at calling end. Have 8000/384 connection with no other activity at the time.

On a positive note, a call I made to South Africa last night was of exceptional high quality without the usual time delay, just like a local landline call.

bt

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Re: VOIP reliability and quality

Post by VoIP Admin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:32 pm

sable wrote:Have Billion 7402VL with latest firmware v552h1 and DID.
Making a call results in no ring tones, just silence, only way I have found to fix is reboot router. This can be after a period of voip inactivity or immediately after making a successful call.
Sound like a firmware issue, i would suggest you speak to the vendor to find out when a new one is release or see if you have the same problem rolling back to the one before it.
sable wrote: While on a call have been having frequent dropouts after varying lengths of time from initiating call. This has been an ongoing problem getting worse.
I would suggest you do an isolation to see if it is the ADSL that is dropping out, while it is isolated remove all PC or devices connected and then make a call.

This is ensure there is no other traffic on the link that may interfere with the VoIP service/call.

This will also confirm if it is bandwidth or the link causing the quality problems.

sable

Post by sable » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:35 pm

I don't think it is a firmware issue, been ok since that version was released on 18 Sep 07, these issues are very recent.

Internet appears ok, no dropouts and ata remains registered to sip server all the time.

will try an isolated call later.

Phatboy81

Post by Phatboy81 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Hey, I'm also having random call drop outs whilst on the phone. Has only just started in the last week. I shall do an Iso test to see if it makes a difference.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:50 am

sable wrote:I don't think it is a firmware issue, been ok since that version was released on 18 Sep 07, these issues are very recent.

Internet appears ok, no dropouts and ata remains registered to sip server all the time.

will try an isolated call later.
Another thing to bear in mind is QOS routing ... you may have recently started using something 'high bandwidth', eg. p2p. If that is restricting bandwidth to VOIP, you'll have problems unless you've set up QOS.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:19 pm

As per http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=25023 I believe it is a firmware issue, but a change made to the Exetel VoIP system in the last month or so has brought the issue to bear, as I ran with this firmware for a long time before that and never had the problem. I don't know what they changed that caused this issue.

I have a number of VoIP clients, and it's only those with 7402 series equipment that have the problem. The same problem has existed for a very long time with MyNetFone, but only recently has it affected Exetel's VoIP offering.

There may never be a solution as the 7402 series is old - just our bad luck.

bingggo

Post by bingggo » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:53 am

I am having the same problem on my 7402VGP in the last month, after previously fine Exetel VOIP performance - calls drop out randomly, then the modem has to be powercycled (h1 firmware).

sable

Post by sable » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:55 am

There may never be a solution as the 7402 series is old - just our bad luck
That could be the case if this were the monpolistic Telstra or Microsoft, but this is Exetel, which from past actions has a very good attitude towards its customers.

I am sure that if it is not possible to "fix" the recent changes made to the sip server which has caused the problem they would be happy to work with Billion to arrive at a satisfactory solution ie assuming Billion will support a product which is only 2.5 years old.

Just hope the time frame is not too long

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:54 am

I agree.

I wonder what it is that's unique about the 7402 range. I have customers with 7401 and 7404 series modems and never had a problem with them, but there's something in the 7402s that just isn't quite right - SIPme doesn't work well with them, MyNetFone has had this issue for a long time, and now Exetel doesn't work with them either. Oh well, I've got a page update checker running on the firmware page on Billion for the 7402 range, so will post here when there's a new one :)

As a side note, the problem only occurs in about one in every 7 - 10 calls as an estimate.

outbush

Post by outbush » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:50 pm

MCCMikey wrote: I believe it is a firmware issue, but a change made to the Exetel VoIP system in the last month or so has brought the issue to bear, as I ran with this firmware for a long time before that and never had the problem. I don't know what they changed that caused this issue.

There may never be a solution as the 7402 series is old - just our bad luck.
I dont have a problem with my " old " 7402VL running 5.06 firmware supporting 2 VSP's and an IP phone on an 8MB connection.

outbush

Re: VOIP reliability and quality

Post by outbush » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:56 pm

sable wrote:Have Billion 7402VL with latest firmware v552h1 and DID.

While on a call have been having frequent dropouts after varying lengths of time from initiating call. This has been an ongoing problem getting worse.
bt
Have you tried lowering the Expire period to 240 from 3600.

Maybe you are losing registration.

sable

Post by sable » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Have just changed sthat setting to 240, will see if that improves the call dropout rate.

Don't think we are losing registration, have not noticed that the line is not registered at that time and there is a log entry regularly about every half hour.

sable

Post by sable » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Still getting random dropouts after reduction of expiry time.

All dropouts have ata reporting registered to the sip server immediately after, nothing untoward in logs.

Some dropouts still reusting in loss of ability to call, necessitating a reboot of the 7402VL.

Any news of making the changes compatible

sable

Post by sable » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:28 pm

Any news?

Have you discussed with Billion?

This is getting worse dropout rate increasing - almost every other call and having to reboot modem to recover also more frequent.

outbush

Post by outbush » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:44 pm

sable wrote: This is getting worse dropout rate increasing - almost every other call and having to reboot modem to recover also more frequent.
Have you tried your backup VSP?
"I have three backups!"

What are the calls like with your backup VSP?
Seeing that you have plenty of bandwidth, have you tried using the G711a codec only? I use this all the time.