Phantom calls?

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
pittsy

Phantom calls?

Post by pittsy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Just in the last half hour my VoIP line has been ringing every minute or so, when I pick up all I get is a buzzing sound....
But if I pick up and dial a number the call goes through as normal...
any one else getting this?
Cecil

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:57 pm

That is weird.

Is it still occuring for you now?

If possible please take note of the time and date of the calls so we can review the logs from our end.

pittsy

Post by pittsy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:58 pm

...it stopped by itself not long after I made the initial post....
I had tried cold booting the modem etc..to no avail...
The last thing I did was leave the phone off the hook for about 10 mins, (to give me a break from it ringing) ...when I cradled it again the problem had stopped!

no idea what was going on...
Cecil

gadders

Post by gadders » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi
I'm getting similar problems. The VOIP phone keeps ringing occaisionally, even though I don't have VOIP dial in enabled. It usually only rings a couple times but if you try to answer there in no one there. I know it is the VOIP line because I have a separate, stand alone phone, on the PSTN line, not connected to the modem, that doesn't ring on these occaisions. It happens 2-4 times a day. Last time was just now at 7:20PM Qld time. I have an NB9W Netcomm.I have only just moved to this address in the last few months but I have the same phone number, for both VOIP and landline.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:24 am

Are you on the latest firmware as well?

Can you please enable remote management on the unit so i can confirm the settings before i create a ticket with Netcomm?

gadders

Post by gadders » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:32 am

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight. I already have a ticket. I followed their suggestions and tried the forum, hence this posting :) . They have since suggested unplugging the incoming phone line from the modem, and just leaving the ADSL one connected for a while. I've done this and the VOIP phone hasn't had a phantom call since, but it hasn't been a full day yet, so I'll keep monitoring.
Cheers
Al

gadders

Post by gadders » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:49 am

Hi. I left the PSTN line disconnected from the modem all weekend and never had a phantom call. I reconnected it last nght and just had another phantom call at 7:32am Qld time, this morning. I have firmware version C201-S300NCM-C09_R10 on the modem now but I'll try upgrading to the current C211-S306NCM-C04_R02 version later and see what happens.
I also have just recently installed a new Telstra V580a wireless phone, plugged in to the modem on the VOIP line, and wodered if this might be the cause. For some reason, I can set the date and time on this phone but it will only retain it for a short time, an hour or two, while on VOIP, where-as it retained the date and time all weekend on the PSTN line. I hade a different phone on the VOIP line over the weekend, so I might shuffle the phones around too, and see if that makes a difference. Anyone else using one of these phones on VOIP? Does it retain the date and time?
Cheers
Al

pittsy

Post by pittsy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:09 pm

Re my original posting,
... the constant ringing happened again a couple of days ago....I was at work and got a call from the wife telling me that the VoIP phone would not stop ringing, buzzing noise when picked up etc.....told her to leave it off the hook....when I got home later in the day and cradled the handset it didn't do it again!!!

When it happened, the modem / phone was setup as VoIP only ...ie no PSTN connection..so it's either the NB9W or the SIP server?
I wonder if the SIP server keeps a log of calls to a particular VoIP number?
Cecil

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:54 am

It does keep a log but it is not occuring with any other endpoints that i know of at the moment.

Can you enable remote management so i can confirm and check your settings?

gadders

Re: Phantom calls?

Post by gadders » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi
I have been on hols, so I haven't been contributing, but I had to tell my house sitting parents how to unplug the VOIP phone to stop the phantom calls while I was away. It seems now though that I am still getting the phantom calls, showing as missed calls, on the PSTN line, via the Telstra V580a.It even shows me the number of the person that called, although the phone doesn't actually ring, and I don't have caller ID enabled on the PSTN line either. I haven't tried to return a call yet but I'm fairly sure now that I have a slightly crossed line with somebody else's phone and that my phone is sensing their calls enough to trigger the VOIP line on the modem and the caller ID of the PSTN on my phone. I'll take it up with Telstra and let you know how it goes.

gadders

Post by gadders » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi folks. The phantom calls have deteriorated to the point where I'm getting them on the PSTN line now and, if we answer the phone, it just gives a big click and we can hear other people talking, and, sometimes, also the sound of dial up modems communicating with each other, in the background. Telstra have confirmend there is a problem with cross talk and will be sending a technician within a week or so, as they are very busy. My ADSL1 connection remains rock solid though, so 10 points to Exetel.

gadders

Post by gadders » Mon May 05, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Folks
Telstra have repaired a fault on the line and all is good now:).