VOIP - via the Mobile Phone

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
GABOOAN

Post by GABOOAN » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:13 am

Hi Everyone.
I have just gone and spent my money on a new mobile handset N95-8GB which has WLAN as one of its features. (I have managed to get it connected easily enough to my local wireless network and browse the web easily enough) One of the features of the phone is to be able to make VOIP phonecalls, according you set it up. Has anyone managed to get this to work? I have had a bit of a play without success.

Below Mobile Menu Options
Profile name
Service Profile: IETF or Nokia 3GPP
Default Access Point {set to my WAP}
Public Username:
Use Compression: Yes or No
Use Security: Yes or No
Proxy Server __\ Has the same menu options, listed below.
Registrar Server /
Server Address (either proxy or registrar)
Realm
Username
Password
Transport Type: TCP or UTP
Port
Allow loose Routing: Yes or No

I have played with the settings for a while without success, so if anyone can let me know where I have gone wrong it would be appreciated.

Andy
Last edited by GABOOAN on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:32 am

Below Mobile Menu Options
Profile name: Exetel
Service Profile: -
Default Access Point {set to my WAP}
Public Username: 09 number
Use Compression:
Use Security: No
Proxy Server sip2.exetel.com.au
Registrar Server sip2.exetel.com.au
Server Address sip2.exetel.com.au
Realm exetel
Username username
Password password
Transport Type ?SIP?
Port 5060
Allow loose Routing:

Try those, they may not be 100% though.

chingy213

Post by chingy213 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:46 am

I have a HTC p3600i and have managed to get my voipbuster account working on my phone (via 3G and Wifi)

I use these apps called Fring and/or SJ phone, which you will both find over a google search.

Exetel voip should be the same working principals so i dont see why it wont work.

GABOOAN

Post by GABOOAN » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:14 am

Shortly after my original post I did install 'fring' and managed to get it to work easily enough. Will try those settings you suggested Jason, however I believe I was using similar settings before, will let you know... Andy

GABOOAN

Post by GABOOAN » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Unfortunately trying those details Jason didn't work. If it can't be done though it isn't a total crime since the third party application seems to do fine. If anyone has further suggestions will still be happy to try.

Andy

spero

VOIP SETUP N95

Post by spero » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:54 am

On the question of VoIP
I managed to get VoIP working the first go, on my Nokia N95, by using the script below

-------------------------------------
Profile Name: Exetel
Service Profile: IETF
Access Point: *Your Wifi Network*
Sip Public Username: 028xxxxxx@sip1.exetel.com.au
Use compression: NO
Proxy Server Address: sip:sip1.exetel.com.au
Realm (domain):sip1.exetel.com.au
username: 028xxxxxx
Password: Jxxxxxxxx
Allow loose routing: Yes
Transport Type: UDP
Port: 5060

There is also a Registrar Server which are the same as the above settings
--------------------------------------

It works every time i find an open wifi network on the road or back in the workshop as opposed to another carriers voip service that i am still having dificulty operating on the N95

cheers
Spero

GABOOAN

vOIP - via the Mobile Phone

Post by GABOOAN » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:08 pm

Thanks SPERO

Have plugged in the settings and it worked straight up :-).
Nice work.

Andy

epacep

Re: VOIP - via the Mobile Phone

Post by epacep » Wed May 14, 2008 6:03 pm

I've set up an N95 as per Spero's, ecky's wiki and find it works really well for outgoing SIP calls on either WiFi or 3G mobile access points - BUT for incoming SIP calls on 3G, I find my presence seems to get lost after about 10 minutes. After that time, the A-party will not hear any call tones (not even voicemail), and my mobile doesn't ring.

Anyone have any ideas? Is the N95 not sending the right keep-alives to the SIP server? Though if that is the case why doesn't the SIP server mark me as inactive and send the call to voicemail?

cheers

sctpc

Re: vOIP - via the Mobile Phone

Post by sctpc » Sat May 31, 2008 7:44 pm

SPERO
put in your settings but when I try to make internet call is cant regester what am i doing wrong? :? :? :? :? please help

GABOOAN

Post by GABOOAN » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:50 am

sctpc

If your having a problem registering, it can be for a whole range of reasons. I would first try and make sure your settings are correct by using a PC and VOIP application. If it works ok make sure your phone is connecting to your WiFi router ok, it may be a simple password thing.

Andy

sctpc

Post by sctpc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:56 pm

GABOOAN wrote:sctpc

If your having a problem registering, it can be for a whole range of reasons. I would first try and make sure your settings are correct by using a PC and VOIP application. If it works ok make sure your phone is connecting to your WiFi router ok, it may be a simple password thing.

Andy
Thats what I find anoying when I first put in Speros setting it said (Can not register ) after reading more on Whirlpool someone said to turn off 3 apps did that now says no internet when I try to mack an internet call, But it has it and surfs off the wifi no problem.
:? :? :?
I down loaded this from Nokia (sipvoipsettings) its 67.8 kb but the last time I dl software for a phone it whent to heavin so I ant insall yet trying everything else first.

spero

Post by spero » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:21 pm

"after reading more on Whirlpool someone said to turn off 3 apps"

NO... i would not turn off 3 apps OR any such thing...
First up, i would download the latest firmware from the nokia n95 site, there are a few 'fixes' for the voip setup in this latest firmware.
Then double check your voip settings. Make sure you have a strong signal from your voip tx, some routers need to have the appropriate voip ports opened as well.. then dial a phone number without using the +61, just dial the aussie code, 02xxxxx, and you should make a connection, if you dont, then go back to the start and try again, i know, its very frustrating at the begining.... if you still cant get in, drop me an email showing me your settings....
cheers
Spero

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:30 pm

I followed this and my N95 shows the SIP profile as registered but when I try to make a call it says 'Internet Calling Not Available' or something along those lines (I cannot check it right now as I have no wifi access). This is different to the 'No WLAN available for internet calls' message I get when it's not connected to a wifi network.

The phone is Vodafone branded, but is the new 8Gb model and came with the latest [Vodafone branded] firmware already installed.

Any ideas what my problem may be?

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:04 pm

Bundy wrote:I followed this and my N95 shows the SIP profile as registered but when I try to make a call it says 'Internet Calling Not Available' or something along those lines (I cannot check it right now as I have no wifi access). This is different to the 'No WLAN available for internet calls' message I get when it's not connected to a wifi network.

The phone is Vodafone branded, but is the new 8Gb model and came with the latest [Vodafone branded] firmware already installed.

Any ideas what my problem may be?
I would hope that Vodafone have not bastardised their version of Firmware to prevent VoIP calls! If they have you might need to de brand the phone.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

spero

Post by spero » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:20 pm

my N95 shows the SIP profile as registered but when I try to make a call it says 'Internet Calling Not Available' or something along those lines
i found this problem when i try and dial with the prefix +61 over the exetel voip network, is there a restriction with exetel?
the +61 prefix works ok on the engin voip system.