VoIP FXS and pass-through question

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
kudabird

VoIP FXS and pass-through question

Post by kudabird » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:49 am

Hello,

I'm considering a churn to Exetel after receiving a much publicized change plan message from my current ISP. My current configuration is straight forward, an NB5580W with an external ATA for VoIP.

We use the internally wired wall-phone for incoming calls and a separate phone on the ATA for outgoing calls. Along with the churn I'm considering a new modem with FXS and FXO.

My question, which so far I haven't seen stated clearly enough within the manuals is, is it possible to use a single phone attached to the FXS port for both incoming PSTN calls (and fall-back) and outgoing VoIP?

Assuming the above is possible, it would require me to have some minor wiring changes made to allow the FXS port to connect back into the house's internal wiring to connect the wall-phone. So my next question, does anyone have any idea on what cable length an FXS port would typically work with?

Lastly, anyone done anything similar, ie, a single phone for incoming and VoIP, maybe wired back into the existing internal wiring? Having the two separate phones is an inconvenience so I'm looking at this seen as though my current ISP has provided an opportunity to move and review.

Many thanks.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Re: VoIP FXS and pass-through question

Post by VoIP Admin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:06 am

kudabird wrote: My question, which so far I haven't seen stated clearly enough within the manuals is, is it possible to use a single phone attached to the FXS port for both incoming PSTN calls (and fall-back) and outgoing VoIP?
Yes it is possible, but is dependant on the hardware used. The NB9W should do it.
kudabird wrote: Assuming the above is possible, it would require me to have some minor wiring changes made to allow the FXS port to connect back into the house's internal wiring to connect the wall-phone. So my next question, does anyone have any idea on what cable length an FXS port would typically work with?
On the NB9W there are two RJ11 ports one for ADSL and the other for LINE. LINE port is used for PSTN fall back, so no re-wiring is needed.

Aquard

Post by Aquard » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:03 pm

kudabird wrote: Lastly, anyone done anything similar, ie, a single phone for incoming and VoIP, maybe wired back into the existing internal wiring? Having the two separate phones is an inconvenience so I'm looking at this seen as though my current ISP has provided an opportunity to move and review.

Many thanks.
Absolutely! Wouldn't use voip any other way. I use a Billion 7404vgp, which has the LINE port for PSTN calls. My phone is connected to the FXS, if I hit 'flash' on the phone, it will toggle between voip line and telstra line. From the sounds of Voip Admin's reply, your hardware will do similar.

Aquard

Post by Aquard » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:06 pm

VoIP Admin wrote: On the NB9W there are two RJ11 ports one for ADSL and the other for LINE. LINE port is used for PSTN fall back, so no re-wiring is needed.
Actually there are four... Phone 1, Phone 2, Line, ADSL.

So you hook your actual phone to either Ph 1 or 2, and can call via VOIP or Telstra.

http://www.netcomm.com.au/ADSL/NB9W_new.php

outbush

Post by outbush » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:38 pm

I think you are getting off track a bit here with these netcomm all-in-one units, as the OP said he had "an external ATA for VoIP" connected to an ADSL gateway with wireless

Aquard

Post by Aquard » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:31 pm

outbush wrote:
I think you are getting off track a bit here with these netcomm all-in-one units, as the OP said he had "an external ATA for VoIP" connected to an ADSL gateway with wireless
So... did you miss this bit?
Along with the churn I'm considering a new modem with FXS and FXO.

kudabird

Post by kudabird » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've manged to pull down and study the NB9W and 7401VGPM manuals. The Billion's a bit clearer with respect to incoming PSTN redirected to FXS. Note I can't do this with my current setup. It was a question of since I expect to place a churn request in the next day or so, whether I should also look for a new modem. And yes, I will need to rewire as I have to get the FXS port connected back into the internal wiring going to the wall phone. Any new modem would be sited upstairs with the wall phone base unit downstairs. I have an unused TO1 (first point) going straight to a C10100E with a mode-3 on the phone side with all other points from the mode-3. The mode-3 is also unused at this time. Placing a 2 wire (4)(5) into the mode 3 would get a filtered LINE connection, then I just need to get the FXS port back past the mode-3.

So I could get the person back who did the filter install to place a socket into the plate that is after the mode-3 or I could get creative and get a 4 wire (3)(4)(5)(6) cable made that went to two plugs, one having (3)(6) and the other (4)(5). I dont have a crimp tool :-( Placing such a cable into a mode-3 point would give a LINE connection back through the filter and an FXS connection back to the wall phone. And when I pull the cable out the mode-3 socket links the wall phone back to PSTN via the filter. If only one could get Krone plates and sockets in singles.

outbush

Post by outbush » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Aquard wrote:So... did you miss this bit?
If I did I certainly wouldn't consider a netcomm unit. A search of this forum in netcomm and archived threads shows of the many problems they have. eg new firmware troubles, lacking in voip configurability.
Best to stay clear of these.

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:31 am

outbush wrote:
Aquard wrote:So... did you miss this bit?
If I did I certainly wouldn't consider a netcomm unit. A search of this forum in netcomm and archived threads shows of the many problems they have. eg new firmware troubles, lacking in voip configurability.
Best to stay clear of these.
All units have problems of some kind, the advantage of getting a Netcomm is for the support.

We work closely with Netcomm and once we find a problem we deal directly with them. Just like the new firmware release, but at the end of the day it is up to the end user of course :)