You might want to have a look at:

http://www.exetel.com.au/images/dynalink_duration.gif

Generally the default should be ok.
Martin
eXeTeL Support

degg

Re: Dynalink (RTA1046VW) setup guide for voip

Post by degg » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:52 pm

trying to set up dynalink (rta1046vw) have followed you lead with the download page but still no luck .. have double checked password etc .. still not work what might i be doing wrong ???

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:22 pm

If you have followed the guide to the letter, check your cables.
1 At the filter/double adapter, dsl to dsl on the Dynalink; and filtered phone to pstn on the Dynalink.
2 At the Dynalink, plug your phone handset into Phone 1

If this doesn't fix it, post again, with details of your settings. It should be at factory default + the internet particular settings in your email + a couple of voip settings as per the guide.

degg

Post by degg » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:04 pm

do you know if all cables come with dynalink ... the ones connecting the filter phone to the pstn port ?? i have only on cable between the dsl to dsl

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:29 pm

There are 2 inputs to the Dynalink - one for ADSL, which carries the internet and VoIP, and a second filtered input for the conventional PSTN phone line. If you have a naked service, you won't need the PSTN connection. Your phone handset or base station plugs into the Dynalink at Phone 1 port.

Dynalink don't put a full manual in the box, but you can get one at http://netcomm.com.au/__data/assets/fil ... 6VW_UM.pdf which shows the connections. These are very straightforward devices. They do pack the required input cables. Other than cabling I can only guess that there was one of those too silly to be noticeable slips when copying the Exetel information, although it is always possible that an error was made when your DID/password was allocated.

Also, make sure your VoIP is connected to 58.96.1.2, rather than to sip1.exetel.com.au

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:56 am

And make sure when you cut & pasted your login & password that you didn't pick up an extra character (eg a space).

degg

Post by degg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:14 pm

thankyou for your help ...up and running...with voip

GHulley

Post by GHulley » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:51 pm

Just wondering if anyone here can help me as I am relatively new to VOIP and I am experiencing some problems but I am not sure if they are normal with a VOIP service or if there is something wrong with my equipment or the way it has been set up.

I am with Exetel on the TELN 8192/384 plan (ADSL1 8Mbit). I have a Dynalink RTA1046VW VOIP modem/router and I have my home phone connected to it, which is a Telsta Edge Series Cordless phone and answering machine.

I have set up everything correctly (or as far as I can tell) as per the instructions provided by Exetel and the VOIP service is working, including the green "VOIP Ready" light activated and when I activate the phone and get a dial tone, the green light on "Phone 1" on the modem lights up. Also when someone rings my home number or my VOIP number my home phone rings and when I answer the call there are no issues.

The problem I am having is firstly when I go to make a call, I notice the dial tone is different to the normal PTSN dial tone. It is identical to the dial tone you get when you have message bank activated on a Telstra home phone service and someone has left a message. Is this normal?

That issue aside, I find that when I make a call I hear the phone on the other end ringing but it seems like I also get an echo of that ring tone if that makes sense. Is that normal?

But the main problem I have is that when I ring someone and they answer, they cannot hear me for the first 5 to 10 seconds but I can hear them instantly, then all of a sudden they can hear me. Its bloody frustrating as most people just hang up before they can hear me, thinking that no one is on the other end of the call. It also plays havoc with answering machines as I can hear the machine greeting on the phone I have rung but when I go to leave a message it just terminates the call, as if it thinks there is no one on the other end.

Does anyone know what causes these problems and can provide a solution?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:42 pm

The various tones and sound in general are controlled by the modem/ATA. Echo can also result from inappropriate settings. You can download the full manual from http://netcomm.com.au/__data/assets/fil ... 6VW_UM.pdf and play around.

Unfortunately, some (maybe lots) of this model have the lag problem at pickup, and there is a monster sized thread on the subject here http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27692. Some customers and Exetel's staff are working towards a solution, which will probably be replacement of the firmware.

Edit: I should have started off by saying, no, it is not typical of VoIP. Most people find the digital VoIP calls clearer than standard analogue PSTN phone calls.

GHulley

Post by GHulley » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Thank you for the reply.

I will keep an eye on that thread. Looks like they still haven't found a solution and its a pretty common problem. Sorta defeats the purpose of VoIP if you have to call a person 3 times after they hang up on you the first two times because they cant hear you. Suddenly a 10c call turns into a 30 cent call. Its bulls#%t.

Since I bought the modem from Exetel what do you think my chances are for a refund per month on my VoIP call charges or a full refund on the modem and then I can get something else?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:49 pm

I use a separate ATA/router (fiddly to set up if you don't understand networking, so not universally recommended), so I haven't personally experienced the Dynalink lag, but a friend of mine with an affected unit tells me that his callers don't hang up on him. It depends how long, I suppose, and they may be used to it.

I think you'll find that Exetel acted as Netcomm's agent; ie, you bought the modem from Netcomm, who delivered it. I hope the trial participants crack this thing soon, and get Netcomm to provide suitable new firmware, because otherwise it is a nicely thought out device, and certainly one of the easiest for average users to configure. I agree, keep your eye on the thread.

If it really keeps on bugging you, get a low cost separate ATA via Exetel or from such as JMG at http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/index.p ... 6275402597, but make sure that there are installation instructions for the model you choose on the Exetel website or the Exewiki, and that you have read the directions for port forwarding your Dynalink modem to the new ATA (in the full manual). The combined Dynalink modem/ATA/router box obviates all that set up trickery.

lingg

Post by lingg » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:32 pm

Last edited by lingg on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

GHulley

Post by GHulley » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 pm

lingg wrote:Please try the beta firmware:

http://www.exetel.com.au/files/cfe-rta1 ... m_a2pb023k
From the last post in this thread - http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... &start=225
bilal wrote:The new firmware (3.64m) is still exhibiting the problem.
So whats the point?