Set up guide for the NB9WMAXX

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Martin V
Exetel Staff

Set up guide for the NB9WMAXX

Post by Martin V » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:04 pm

The NB9W MAXX is pretty much similar to the NB9W the following is the newer and update to date guide for setting up voip for the NB9WMAXX.

http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_pdf/nb9wMaxx.pdf
Martin
eXeTeL Support

ericb

Re: Set up guide for the NB9WMAXX

Post by ericb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi

From the NB9WMAXX manual:

If you have two handsets and one VoIP number then enter the same details in fields 1. and 2., above. In this configuration, both handsets will operate in tandem in the same way as two handsets on an ordinary POTS line.
Notes: for 1 account and 2 handsets. Not all VoIP Service Provider support that function.

If it is set up this way i.e with 2 separate hansdets connected to the router as phones 1 and 2, does this mean with Exetel VOIP, both will ring on an incoming PSTN call and either can be used to answer the call, or will only phone 1 ring and be able to answer the call?

I have ordered this router and will be ordering Exetel VOIP to use it (existing ADSL2/phone plan with Exetel).

Thanks
Brian

outbush

Post by outbush » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:23 pm

ericb wrote:both will ring on an incoming PSTN call and either can be used to answer the call, or will only phone 1 ring and be able to answer the call?...............
From the reading of the manual, Page 25
http://netcomm.com.au/__data/assets/fil ... 9WMAXX.pdf
you can assign either Phone 1 or Phone 2 to take incoming PSTN calls,
you can have two separate lines from your VSP,
BUT can only use one VSP

VoIP Admin
Exetel Staff

Post by VoIP Admin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:48 pm

If you registered both phone1 & 2 with the same sip account with same sip provider e.g. Exetel, it will not ring because 2 same sip registered at the same time, the external caller couldn't locate which sip device to send the invite..

you still can make call out on both phone thought, it's just that incoming won't work.

it is advisable not to put 2 same registration on both phone1 & 2.

Outbush was right with the NB9, you can have 2 different sip account on this hardware...but only with a single isp due to single sip register entry. Billion would allow different ISP on different port.

ericb

Post by ericb » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks people. You have answered my (first) question. At this stage I don't plan to use two VOIP providers, so I can live with the NB9 limitations in this area.

I want to be able to use 2 phones to make outwards VOIP calls, so I need them both to be able to ring in as well, otherwise we'll get confused.

Second question: Can I put a double phone line adaptor on one of the lines ex the router (say Phone 1), connect 2 phones to the adaptor, and then can either one be used to answer an incoming call?

Thanks
Brian

ericb

Post by ericb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:33 pm

I can answer my own question - yes you can use a double adaptor on the Phone 1 line and it works just the same as on a straight POTS line.

ericb

Post by ericb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 pm

I think it would be worthwhile also noting for newbies to VoIP like me that QoS should also be set up, and how to do it, as this improves VoIP. The NB9WMAXX manual Rev 1 describes the set up for QoS -see p47 and pp 58-59. Incidentally I think the example in the manual on p59 is wrong when it uses TCP/UDP as the VoIPprotocol to be gievn priority, when it should use UDP as indicated on p58.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:09 pm

ericb wrote:I think it would be worthwhile also noting for newbies to VoIP like me that QoS should also be set up, and how to do it, as this improves VoIP. The NB9WMAXX manual Rev 1 describes the set up for QoS -see p47 and pp 58-59. Incidentally I think the example in the manual on p59 is wrong when it uses TCP/UDP as the VoIPprotocol to be gievn priority, when it should use UDP as indicated on p58.
Many all-in-one modem/router/VoIP ATA should already have a preconfigured (possibly integrated and therefore hidden setting) for VoIP QoS whereby the router is already hardcoded to give VoIP traffic priority. For separate ATAs however, prioritising VoIP traffic is definitely recommended.

Also, my understanding is that VoIP uses RTP (Real-time Transport Protocol) over UDP for its transmission mechanism and not TCP (which is too overhead intensive), so you are probably correct and the port forwarding and priority rules only need to specify UDP, not the pair of TCP/UDP.

ijangda

Post by ijangda » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 am

ive followed the set up guides exactly and Ive lodged a ticket on friday. i still cannot seem to get the modem to register with the SIP. my adsl seems to be working perfectly. any ideas?

ijangda

Post by ijangda » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:57 am

Do exetel ever resolve Tickets. i lodged one on friday (838344 ) i replied back and gave updated screen shots of what was happening but no reply . tried callign help line.. guess you can never get through..... just being on hold. thought the help desk was open 24 x 7 :evil:

jOhn-e

Post by jOhn-e » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:48 pm

can u put ur screenshot here?
Going Going Gone....

ijangda

Post by ijangda » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:29 pm

ill try and put a screen shot up here later... at work at the moment.

still waiting for help desk to get back to me.. :shock: :shock:

wonder what they up to :?

Martin V
Exetel Staff

Post by Martin V » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:02 am

I believe the ticket was taken care of? if not let me know.
Martin
eXeTeL Support

ericb

Post by ericb » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:55 pm

Martin V wrote:The NB9W MAXX is pretty much similar to the NB9W the following is the newer and update to date guide for setting up voip for the NB9WMAXX.

http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_pdf/nb9wMaxx.pdf
Something seems to be wrong with this pdf; it loads five pages but won't render in Adobe pdf Reader 9.1.2 (Error 109) or Sumatra pdf reader.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:44 pm

The pdf file is ok, and I have just read it with 3 different readers as a test. There have been reports of your problem on Windows systems when pdf files are read with Adobe via the browser. Try saving the file and then reading. If that doesn't work, get rid of the Adobe bloat, and try one of the other readers.If you use Windows, one free alternative besides Sumatra is Foxit http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/.