New to VOIP

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
bennyvo

New to VOIP

Post by bennyvo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi,

I'm abit new to VOIP, I do use Googletalk to make free call internet 2 internet.
I just saw Exetel have the VOIP with no monthly charge, so I was interest to try. Is it true that if I sign up and don't use it at all and don't get charge? i'm with exetel adsl 1500/256.

I have family in Vietnam, is it possible for them to install X-lite with my exetel VOIP and call to australia (landine) for 10cent per call untimed?

I have a N95, I saw people post that it can be setup to make VOIP call and Recieve VOIP call using home wireless network. Is it possible for me to signup VOIP with two DID, so my family in Vietnam can use ONE DID and call me on the other DID number?

And lastly, when I singup, which one do I choose?
VoIP (Equip Needed)
OR
VoIP (No Equip Needed)

I will use my computer, X-lite and my headset to make call. I also use my n95 to try out.

thank you.

vk3xem

Re: New to VOIP

Post by vk3xem » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:06 pm

bennyvo wrote:I'm abit new to VOIP, I do use Googletalk to make free call internet 2 internet.
I just saw Exetel have the VOIP with no monthly charge, so I was interest to try. Is it true that if I sign up and don't use it at all and don't get charge? i'm with exetel adsl 1500/256.
That's the way it reads, I have recently signed up with Exetel and enabled one VoIP DID. I haven't used it yet as I am waiting for a new Nokia N82 to arrive which I will be using it on. Other's might be able confirm the no use, no charge.
bennyvo wrote:I have family in Vietnam, is it possible for them to install X-lite with my exetel VOIP and call to australia (landine) for 10cent per call untimed?
No reason why it shouldn't work. However it will be in your name and you will be responsible for all the calls they make.
bennyvo wrote:I have a N95, I saw people post that it can be setup to make VOIP call and Recieve VOIP call using home wireless network. Is it possible for me to signup VOIP with two DID, so my family in Vietnam can use ONE DID and call me on the other DID number?
I am currently using a Nokia E65 with a Pennytel account (the rates are good but the service is crap, dropping outbound calls at 3 min 12 sec) via my home wireless network and friends wireless network.
bennyvo wrote:And lastly, when I singup, which one do I choose?
VoIP (Equip Needed)
OR
VoIP (No Equip Needed)
I found this option a little confusing also, it seems that the two options bring up identical forms. Both give you the option to purchase hardware through Exetel, maybe this is something they should look at. If I were them I would just have the one VoIP sign up form seeing they are identical anyway.
bennyvo wrote:I will use my computer, X-lite and my headset to make call. I also use my n95 to try out.
If you have a Wireless network then use the N95. You don't need to have the computer on all the time, just your ADSL modem and wireless router. Your not stuck at the computer during calls either.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

bennyvo

Re: New to VOIP

Post by bennyvo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 am

hi

thanks for your detail respond, i'll try whirlpool for more info.

thanks again.